Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

how to catch skimmers

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

wooders

wooders

• Members
  • 2 posts
Iam trying to find out wat size hook to use for skimmers iam using a size 4 hook at the mo but i think it is a little to big so if ne 1 has got ne ideas plz let me know : :) thanks derkster

dring1

dring1

• Members
  • 191 posts
Hi there derkster,

Your probably best posting this in the coarse fishing forum, that way your likely to get more replies.
Also i would suggest reducing your hook size, minnows tend to weigh under a lb.

All the best derkster!

carperdude3d

carperdude3d

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
a size 4 hook for skimmers. are they mutant skimmers with a huge mouth. whenever i coarse fish i use a size 20 hook for skimmers :shock:

woody321

woody321

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • LocationNorth Dorset ar lad !
Best scale right down to hook sizes 18-24 as soon as possible, depending on what bait you are using, if it is maggots go for a 20, pinkies 22-24, punched bread 18-22 or casters 18. Good luck.

dbofblacksouls

dbofblacksouls

• Members
  • 374 posts
18 should do you fine mate, my little brother fishes alot of tiddlers like Bleak and little surface Roach when bites and shy just to see a fish and if a Bleak handles an 18 fine then it's small enough for the skimmers. I pulled in a nice skimmer on a size 12 last time I went but my target was LARGE Perch, 16 is my Roach hook so I'd go for 18.. never bigger than 16 for anything small.

useph

useph

• Members
  • 2,062 posts
  • Locationthis is a photography forum right?
hey.i would use a size 18 hook .i went this thursday and caught a few skimmers and that was the size hook i used. :D

useph

blackwillow

blackwillow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
OH MY GOD!! size 4 hook!!! :shock: :shock: The biggest i use is a 16 ( for the larger skimmers ) down to a 20 - 22 hook.

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
WTF SIZE 4!!!!!!!! :shock:

I dont even use that size for carp.

andypeachment

andypeachment

• Members
  • 125 posts

WTF SIZE 4!!!!!!!! :shock:

I dont even use that size for carp.

me neither! :shock:

searley69

searley69

• Members
  • 109 posts

OH MY GOD!! size 4 hook!!! :shock: :shock: The biggest i use is a 16 ( for the larger skimmers ) down to a 20 - 22 hook.

same here!

xsupasweetx

xsupasweetx

• Members
  • 108 posts
size 4 ?? try a size 20 !

junior1991

junior1991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
u seen the size of a skimmers gob! why exactly would u want to catch one? wel lgood luck mate

gordonlangston

gordonlangston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationThetford, Norfolk, England, Planet Earth, Universe, Solar System, Some Where In Space...
size 4 is a tad to big what bait where you using on it or was it bare and trying to foul hook them, try an 18 with 1lb hook length
Posted Image
P/B 20lb 3ozs mirror carp soon to be better i hope

zammmo

zammmo

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationOld fishermen never die, they just smell that way
No,he was casting out,trying to hit them on the head and knock them out.. :wink:

sharpy86

sharpy86

• Members
  • 2,655 posts
  • LocationEssex
This must be a joke thread!

No-one would use a size 4 for skimmers.

gingerpike

gingerpike

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Locationtamworth staffs (fish n' pig land)
yh sharpy its gotto be a joke who in the name of lord fishes a 4 for skimmers u want a 18-20 a 14lb bream would struggle with a 4 but skimmers id recomend an 18-20 with maggot or pinkie or expander.you did make me laugh :shock: :shock: :shock: :P
up the villa

gingerpike

gingerpike

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Locationtamworth staffs (fish n' pig land)
spose u were usin a 30lb trace and a 60lb shockleader as well then......
only kidddin matey good luk tryin to land ur monster skimmer :lol: :lol: :D :D dont think ive ever used a 4 in freshwater..........
up the villa

spicychickenballbag

spicychickenballbag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • LocationYou have got to get inside the fish, be the fish, to catch the fish.
So who said that size dont matter. :wink:
I only use 6 or 8's for carp!!
Spicy

mendy

mendy

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Locationramsey
im using a size 16 with few bits of corn on
common - 17lb
mirror - 29lb 7oz

lewiscole

lewiscole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
size 14 hook with a bit of maggot and a swim feeder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users