Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Best casting line?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

begley

begley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

i need some decent strength line which is also good for casting long distances any preferences

Thanks

emmcee

emmcee

• Members
  • 976 posts
try suffix(now been brought by shimano i think)tritanium,its a surf casting line.as tough as rope and casts a dream

nash_gadgeteer

nash_gadgeteer

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire
Korda Adrenaline....
Born to fish, Forced to work.. Sometimes !!!!

ryan96

ryan96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Locationwolverhampton
got to be the korda adrenaline for me :D :D :D

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,628 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
Think you will find the best rated casting line is Daiwa Tournament.

It is specifically designed for casting in tournament conditions, not just a fishing line, but has a high breaking strain for its diameter.

There is also this link to What Mainline, Diameters Breaking Strains etc.
http://www.carp.com/...p=391328#391328

or another line test site:
http://www.eftta.com...744280301675981

I would say when you are needing to go for distance, suppleness and diameter is something you HAVE to take notice of especially more than Breaking Strain.
The vast majority of fishing lines are sold as 15lb line, really impressive, apart from the fact that most have a diameter in the area of 0.38-0.40mm, which is thicker than it should be, and are actually 18 or even 20lb line.

Just about the only manufacturers who give an honest representation are Sufix, and ESP, both stating a diameter of 0.35 but being slightly under that, and a correct breaking strain. Shimano Catana a 15lb line rated at 0.35mm actually breaks at over 20lb.

Korda Adrena-line rated at 15lb, with a diameter 0.35mm is actually measured at 0.36mm, it also breaks at almost 15lb exactly, does not necessarily make it a good distance line because of the additional "thickness".
Nick

begley

begley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the help. Has anyone used the fox aquos mono yet?

stewpot

stewpot

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • LocationChannel Islands
Nick

Out of curiousity, how much difference does a casting line make in terms of distance - I mean in the hands of somebody with a good technique?

And what makes a line a 'casting line' is it just the diameter?

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,628 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

Nick

Out of curiousity, how much difference does a casting line make in terms of distance - I mean in the hands of somebody with a good technique?

And what makes a line a 'casting line' is it just the diameter?

When Tackle box measure the line they actually do a couple of measure along a spool and use the average, but that does not really give the full facts.
A casting line has to have a consistent diameter all the way along, so if it is 0.35 or 0.32 (the tournie diameters), it has to be 0.32/0.35mm.
Tournament casting lines are also fairly supple for casting. You try casting a thick towrope, as some have put it of some of the Gardner lines, and they are really wiry as well as the 15lb rating lines being a diameter of 0.38 or 0.40mm

It makes a difference to all users, whether they realise it or not. That supppleness and how fine the line is could add a metre or so to the average user, to a good caster it will be measured in metres, sometimes even tens of metres.
Nick

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
My favourite casting line has to be catana, awesome kit.

Adrenaline may cast well but it floats, stretches like pole elastic and has the abrasion resistance of pva string. I put it on my reels for two nights and it just so happened that I was on the fish, 11 runs which just don't happen and I lost all but one due to that rubbish, cut offs, not being able to hold them away from snags due to stretch etc.

I don't really need the big chuck at the moment so went back to a 15lb length of rope called GR60 and recently on 16lb pro clear which casts well and seems to be tough enough at the moment, time will tell.

nafy118

nafy118

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Locationsomewhere out there
gotta be pro clear in 12lb, really is a superb casting line!

138cgj

138cgj

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • LocationProbably further north than you!

My favourite casting line has to be catana, awesome kit.

Adrenaline may cast well but it floats, stretches like pole elastic and has the abrasion resistance of pva string. I put it on my reels for two nights and it just so happened that I was on the fish, 11 runs which just don't happen and I lost all but one due to that rubbish, cut offs, not being able to hold them away from snags due to stretch etc.

I don't really need the big chuck at the moment so went back to a 15lb length of rope called GR60 and recently on 16lb pro clear which casts well and seems to be tough enough at the moment, time will tell.

GR60 is simply awesome! In the 12 you can load it and walk it out on the field and bend in to it, it doesnt pre-stretch it as much as you might think and after this it becomes VERY manageable and lovely to work with. In the 12 it will also cast well.

Strongest line ive ever used, ever.

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
GR60 is by far the most dependable line I've used, and it takes on water so the more often you fish, the better it sinks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users