Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

So what are the rules?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
Going by the bivvy heater thread, it seems that maybe you're not a "proper" carp angler unless you lay in a dark damp bivvy at night in the winter.

What's so wrong with me owning and sensibly using the bivvy heater I've had for years? I could live without it if I really felt the desire, but I quite like reading my book with warm hands and not having to tactically reach for my brew/beer without feeling a chill (I'm done with waking up at 0600 to stand to and having an earlobe go crack, thinking I've snapped it off).

And while I'm ranting...............TV's on quietly during the colder months, problem with that is what exactly? I don't use one but sometimes wish I did............I can't see a lot in the dark, rainy winter nights and if I could.................I'd hardly up sticks and move onto it anyway.

Ffs gents..............it's a hobby not a test of personal endurance, unless you feel you need to prove something to yourself.

Let the battle commence :wink:

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
Oh poo, all that and I post it on the wrong board :D

ouchthathurt

ouchthathurt

• Moderators
  • 2,637 posts
  • Locationbritish army medic
well, the bivvy heaters are a personal choice, i personally wouldnt use them, but my experience of actually dealing with people dead through CO poisoning as well as personal experience of an angler dying as a result of one sways my opinion, but that is what it is, an opinion, this does not make this law.

as for the TVs/DVDs etc? they dont really bother me, but curiosity does make me wonder if the users do worry that they may be missing out on possible opportunities? its not a rant/dig/complaint whatever as this is only a hobby, we are all free to approach this grand sport of ours differently, so long as we are all getting out what we want from it, and we are enjoying ourselves, then great, carp fishing is all things to all people, and we are all free to do what we want, ok if you rocked up next to me with a DJ booth and started spinning rinsing drum and bass all session, then i might have a word, but that wont happen. a good mate of mine used to take his DVD player with him everywhere and it didnt bother me, i'm not one of those who think if you go fishing with a TV you may as well stay at home, i try to be fair to all on this forum and help where i can, i was innocently curious as to their use, thats all. - i take a radio down low with me - i know i've missed opportunities as my nose has been buried in a book or my heads been nodding to some jungle bass on me radio.

regards,

ouchthathurt :roll:

stoogi

stoogi

• Moderators
  • 7,622 posts
  • LocationThe hatchet man is coming. Tick tock......

Oh poo, all that and I post it on the wrong board :D

Sorted :wink:

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,776 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
How you fish is up to you, and to be honest who are we to make judgement. :wink:

I don't bother with a bivvy heater, and I sleep with the door open all year. Its what I prefer, a bivvy heater is extra cost, extra worry, and as I like living and don't want the risk of falling asleep and suffering from CO2 or Carbon Monoxide poisoning I'll carry on without it.

Years ago I used to take a TV with me fishing. Not just your ordinary Phone size TV either, I had a decent 12v portable colour TV with remote control :? :roll: that ran off a (spare) car battery. I decided that I had really gone too far when I was more interested in watching the TV than catching fish. I could sit at home and watch TV. With the TV I felt I was not listening to the water for fish, and even if I heard them crash, my nightsight was shot to pieces and I couldn't see a darn thing. Add into that with all the gear it really was too much of a pain to move. :roll:

I far prefer to listen to the radio occasionally or sit there reading a book or magazine, or even just sitting watching and waiting.
Nick

rosstheangler

rosstheangler

• Members
  • 913 posts
My missus got me a portable DVD player for christmas which was suppossed to be for those long, cold dark nights fishing.

She has decided it's a good bit of kit and is now a permenant resident in her ambulance so she can watch films whilst waiting for a job :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
Stoogi, cheers mate :wink:

OTH, not a personal dig mate and another decent reply from you, where were you when this angler died as I thought it may have been reported in the press or at least reached a forum, the lads that drowned in Wraysbury were well documented and changed a lot of our thoughts, this may have too and I find it strange nobody said anything?.

You've answered as though it was a personal dig as well, it wasn't, I've read these kind of posts on millions of forums, apparently heaters, dvd players, tv's, baitboats etc are for noddies.

It's a hobby, we approach it how we want, I can be equally at home under my leaky Aqua 50 on an overnighter or bivvied up with a crate and a barbecue, some take it as gospel that you need to be deeply serious, you don't. I've even caught in a white t shirt :wink:

jules007

jules007

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationIn a little galaxy in space
My take on over nighters is this,
i go to enjoy, not endure it, its not a challenge to how much stamina or how long i can stand it, so i dont do bivvy sessions in winter
may the only thing you catch in life be carp!

nitronick

nitronick

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBorn to Fish, Forced to Work
I remember once when I started night sessions sitting on a cramped damp bivvy listening to the rain hammer down and the wind howl for 18 hours solid. You tell me what signs I'm going to miss? And as has been already stated would you upsticks anyway? Move all your gear and leave your baited spot's? Many of us fish pressured lakes anyway and all to often there is no chance of moving swim.

Everyone gets what they want out of carping. For me its relaxation. I work a physicaly and mentaly stressfull job and to be able to sit by the lake, rods in, feet up, kettle on and telly on is a total reverse. I have a RX so wont miss bites etc and have no problem getting up in middle of night and watching rods for a while if I "sense" some action may be about. In the summer I sit outside the bivvy and watch for signs like any other angler and in the winter I position my chair close to door so I can see lake. Bed chair is positioned so I can see rods through plastic doors as well.

Total respect for you guys who sit and sleep under a brolly in all temp. Your harder than me and I dont mind admiting it! ! But I've spent plenty of hours sitting around in the dead of night waiting for something to happen in my job so excuse me whilst I curl up in my sleeping bag, catch up on corrie and stenders with a nice mug of coco.

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
yafc, I hust read your post thinking "this bloke is spot on"...........

Then you mentioned soaps :D

nitronick

nitronick

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBorn to Fish, Forced to Work

Then you mentioned soaps :D

Only watch them because although TV tunes into "other" channels never get a good signal!

papabill

papabill

• Members
  • 972 posts
  • Locationwherever the ARMY sends me!!!
always bring a dvd player with me, but hardly ever watch it unless im on a solo session, and ive got a bivvy heater aswell, like happyhammer said, fishing is meant to be a hobby not an endurance test. i like my creature comforts when im angling.
im with happyhammer and yafc on this one, if i heard fish action during the night i probably wouldnt move anyway.

bill

nash_gadgeteer

nash_gadgeteer

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire
My opinion: Is that common sense is the major rule and must prevail everything else...

If you are using a bivvi heater just be careful...

If you are having a few tins or glasses of vino, don't go to mad...

Beware of pylons when fishing...

The list is endless, but our sport is dangerous, and too many anglers are maimed or killed by very stupid things...

Enjoy your fishing and outdoor living, but be safe....
Born to fish, Forced to work.. Sometimes !!!!

sharpy86

sharpy86

• Members
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationA sparrow tried to land on one of the branches on my real tree jacket
I personally couldn't care less what other people are doing in their own swim, as long as it doesn't affect my fishing.

I use a trident year round, with the front of the bivvy zipped off completely. This gives me an excellent view of the entire lake whether i'm sitting on the bedchair, or laying in bed (Day or night). Due to this, a heater isn't going to help warm up the bivvy much - well certainly not for long!

zammmo

zammmo

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationOld fishermen never die, they just smell that way
I'm afraid my daily dose of rat poison means that I have to use some form of heating the colder weather :(

ouchthathurt

ouchthathurt

• Moderators
  • 2,637 posts
  • Locationbritish army medic
hammer,

i know it was nothing personal buddy :) he dies on a sussex lake about 10yrs back, so admittedly you'd hope the heaters these days are a lot better! but once bitten twice shy eh?

as for tvs/dvds etc, well so long as it does not disturb others, then there is no harm, however if i see you watcching one, i'll have to ask you to move...

...over so i can sit down and watch it too!

ouchthathurt :roll:

iambunn

iambunn

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire
Quite a refreshing thread! The reason I don't do much fishing, if any, during the winter is that I don't find it too enjoyable sitting out in the freezing cold for hours on end with pretty much zero chance of a fish. I'm only just starting up my fishing for this year, and its still a bit nippy sometimes!

I used to take a portable dvd player...until it broke when I stood on it trying to make it to my rod before I missed the bite, only to find that it was a swan :lol:

I'd use a bivvy heater if I had a bivvy that could be zipped up, but I only have a brolly system and rarely take the front with me due to a few too many mouse holes in it, great view of the lake though so thats how I shall keep it unless it really hammers it down.

Each to their own, as long as it doesn't affect others.
It's like that and that's the way it is!

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
Apart from two socials when I pretty much write off catching fish I'm the same mate............it's fun playing catch up :wink:

gnorty

gnorty

• Members
  • 585 posts
The rules are very simple to understand. So simple that there is rarely a need to write them down. I will try to explain.

Angler A has his view of how to fish. He has honed this opinion over many years, and knows it to be the right way to do it.

Angler B thinks differently, and has developed a slightly different style.

Now Angler A sees angler B and notes that he is doing things differently. He knows for sure his way is right, and of course, that means Angler B is doing it wrong. If Angler B is catching less/has less tarty kit/has less fun etc, that is because he is stupid. If he is catching more/more tarty kit/has more fun, that is because he is cheating/weak/stupid/inconsiderate etc.

It seems very arbitrary and confusing at first glance, but if you look at such disagreements from this viewpoint you will see how simple the rules really are. Simply stop looking at the rules from Angler A's perspective and look at the bigger picture :)

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
Angler B's a noddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users