Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

how many times do we miss pick ups?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

leggs007

leggs007

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationRoy walker.say what you see

i just watched this and couldn't understand how he got spat out so many times,any thoughts?

johnplumb

johnplumb

• Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • LocationReading Berks
I just think it goes to show how many times you get picked up and get dumped and no matter how good you believe your rigs are until you get to watch them it is impossible to claim they work every time .I have watched my rigs being picked up and spat out whilst margin fishing , it does make you re-think things .

cobleyn

cobleyn

• Members
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationI loved jessica rabbit until she ate all the bacon.
Lots to say about this... I bet it'll stir up lots of interesting comments too. In no order:

1: the set up has little to do with it...ie whether it's a running rig, helicopter, safety clip as the fish is dealing withnthe pop up regardless of the set up.

2: the hook isn't turning and catching when it's blown out. So the rig isn't doing it's job.

3: for the most part the fish aren't 'dealing' with the hook link, as they aren't bolting...just sucking and blowing and the hook is coming out. Until towards the end when the fish gets pricked, moves the lead and makes it's escape. A 5 or 6 oz lead wouldn't have moved and the fish would have probably bolted.

4: maybe a blunt hook?

5: it seems to indicate a soft supple links with pop ups don't work.

6: a blowback set up with a bottom bait would probably sort this situation out. The bottom looks quite firm and the fish are sticking their noses into it, a critically balanced bait or bottom bait may work better here. They are looking at the pop up early on as much as to say "I'm not eating that it's not where it's supposed to be".

7: the rig only finally works when the pop up has lost it's bouyancy or enough to make it critically balanced, when the rig actually works. The rig has been straightened out and the hook length is straight and flat.

I've long been a fan of stiff hinge rigs on flat bottoms. This has cemented that view.

Simple rigs will eventually catch you a fish...but look how many got away with it.
Everything is better with bacon.

mykie

mykie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationHarleston
Oddly this appears to be set 17 years in the future :wink:

beanz

beanz

• Members
  • 3,491 posts
  • Locationhere and there

Oddly this appears to be set 17 years in the future :wink:

its more likely american settings, 2010 march 27th :wink:

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,244 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
We miss absolutely loads of pickups whatever rig we use, possibly even more so on semi-fixed set-ups than running leads.

No rig is going to convert 100% of the time, the fish are able to suck and eject the hook with ease, even those "super effective" blowback, KD or 360 rigs.

Any rig can be made more effective simply by getting the feeding location and situation right. If the fish are feeding confidently and even pre-occupied then they aren't going to inspect every food item. To get that right you need a hooklink material and length that suits the situation you are fishing in.
Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users