Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Getting Trout Chow(black bait) to hold

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

coolbig2

coolbig2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Can anybody help get the trout chow to hold onto the hook? I cant even get it to get to the watter before the bait falls off.It wont even pack, it just falls apart.

redmudd

redmudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
First off chow and black bait are two entirely different baits. Black bait is made with horse or chicken feed and black strap molasses. Chow is made with ground chow and usually corn or water. If you want to keep it for a while use water because corn will sour. You can mix about one can of corn or water to three pounds of chow. If it's to dry to pack add more wetter if it gets to wet add more chow. Be careful because there's a fine line between it not packing, breaking just right, and not breaking. The best thing to do is get it to where you can pack it in a ball and then pack a small ball of it around a corn puff. Drop it in the water and time it to see how long it takes for the puff to float up. That amount of time is known as your break time. For a beginner about a minute and a half is good. If it's not on that you can adust by adding wetter or drier. The wetter it is the longer the break time will be.

coolbig2

coolbig2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well I have the Trout Chow then. I just cant seem to get it to hold. Ive tried mixing it with millet, rice and ketchup but nothing seems to work. this one guy my dad talked to said to sprinkle it with a little bit of water.

coolbig2

coolbig2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
actually, i have black bait, it seems to be to dry

redmudd

redmudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm not real sure what to tell you on the black bait. What I've used was made by my friend in greer and I haven't actually tried making any myself. I can tell you that what I have is pretty dry but it packs like a rock. It's hard to through though because it breaks easily.
Billy Joe Abernethy

coolbig2

coolbig2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I cant even get mine to pack. The guy I bought it from said he could through it 30 yards and never fall apart.

redmudd

redmudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
You can add some molasses, mix it up good, and let it set out in the sun for a day. If it's going to work this should do it. Be careful not to add to much molasses at a time.
Billy Joe Abernethy

justcarpn

justcarpn

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationChina Grove NC
chow is easy to get to hold together it is. I'm going to take it as that is what the you were talking about and not the black bait that the otyher one cover and in the right way he did. here is a chow that will hold together for you and use the basices in it and all the chow that you make will stay on the hook. just stay with it.

1 CAN CORN,CREAM
1 PACK Jell-O GRAPE
4 PACKS KOOL-A GRAPE
2 OZ BUTTERNUT FLAVORING,
2 HANDFULL RICE
3lb BAG CHOW #4

mix all together and mix the kool-aid and jello in the corn and let it set at less a hour mixing every 15 mins for that hour real good. that is a i believe 15oz can of corn del monte i hope that you get that. mix this the night before that you go fishing with it for that it is best but you can use in a hour or so after making it. pack it like a rock and you have it .

JustCarp'N :D
the first pay-laker and the one that got them their name. :shock:

big_dog

big_dog

• Members
  • 3 posts
I can tell you alot of ways to make CHOW pack.. You can throw it as far as your reel will allow and catch PIGS (MASSIVE CARP). If you are still around and want to know.

Here is one just so you know...

3 pounds of Trout chow. Ground Chow, Busted Chow.. or what we call starter chow ( looks like little round pellets) whatever you like.

1 can of cream style corn

2 handfuls of instant oatmeal..

Put the chow in a bucket.

Heat the corn in a bowl for a couple of minutes until it is steaming. Do not let it scorch. When it is steming fairly good take it out and add your flavour to the hot corn. Stir it up real good and pour it over the CHOW and stir it up real good and slam the lid on the bucket..

Wait one hour and add the two hand fulls of instant oatmeal and stir it up.

Pack it around your hook as hard as you want to.

That my friends is a straight up pay lake ASSASINS bait. ( with the right flavors) I am he and, he is I..

I like to take their MONEY!!!!! And I like catching CARP!!!! LOL..

Glad to make you're acquaintance!!!

yammer

yammer

• Members
  • 4 posts
buy a nut drill and drill the chow now put them on a circle hook of the right size. the pellets stay on the hook well in still water. i have been drilling aquamax i imagine that trout chow pellets are of a similar size. happy complusive drilling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users