Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Full moon

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

brighton_carper

brighton_carper

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationBrighton
This year I have noticed quite often, when I’ve blanked there’s been a full moon. I have previously heard people talking about moon strike, but haven’t really known what they were on about. Does the moon have an effect on carp fishing, and if so, what kind of effect? Is a full moon good or bad? To me it seems to put them off, but that’s only my personal experience.

zammmo

zammmo

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationOld fishermen never die, they just smell that way
There has been much written and debated about this subject and it is generaly agreed that the presence of a full moon can increase the chances of catching and catching bigger fish...

brighton_carper

brighton_carper

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationBrighton
Oh well, it must just be me then. I can't remember the last time I had a decent session on a full moon, but then after 5 blanks, I'm struggling to remember what catching a fish is actually like at all. I just keep telling myself that each blank brings me closer to another whopper.

james666

james666

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationLuton, Bedfordshire
interesting, i have never really gave it much thought but i always prefer fishing a full moon since on a clear night the view is beautiful when the moon shines onto the water.
Out fishing

slimysime

slimysime

• Members
  • 1,867 posts
  • Locationleicester
Myself personally think big commons come out in a full moon, ask jamie, coops :wink:
a bad day at fishing, is still better than any day at work!!!!!!!

dougmoon

dougmoon

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  • Locationcrazy on a ship of fools Anchored ofshore @ eastbourne
i have never done well on a full moon.
always chasing that extra bite

cobleyn

cobleyn

• Members
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationI loved jessica rabbit until she ate all the bacon.

So many jokes....
Everything is better with bacon.

carefulcarping

carefulcarping

• Members
  • 1,984 posts
  • LocationWrong side of the lake
I have heard many thing on full moons affect us human biengs in different ways (not sure why). So if it affects us then it must do things for the carp.

Last time I done a night session, I had my pb carp and 4 low doubles in the night and had a great 24 hour session, and I think it was a full moon, but didn't pay much attention, all I remember there was a lot of moon light on the lake.

Gaz

Gaz

• Super Moderator
  • 5,238 posts
  • Locationwhere the fish aint
all to do with the gravitational pull the moon has on earth, i have never had a good nights fishing on a full moon, tbh i think it is 50/50 some say you do better some say worse. it aint just carp fishing i think you will find it is all sorts of fishing including sea. also the moon dose not have to be visible to make a difference (if there is on lol)

we are TOTTENHAM from the lane

fantasticmrfox

fantasticmrfox

• Members
  • 500 posts
Never really paid much attention to it to be honest, but if it is powerful enough to pull oceans around, causing our tides, then it must have some effect..

I also believe the moon to be responsible for the missus menstruation, she is 70% water after all and once a month turns into a werewolf!! :)
Mr Fox!

welder

welder

• Moderators
  • 6,579 posts
  • LocationMust pay the water rates.......
The greatest advantage of fishing during a full moon is that you save on headtorch batteries.

Ian
I started with nothing....still got it.

zammmo

zammmo

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationOld fishermen never die, they just smell that way

The greatest advantage of fishing during a full moon is that you save on headtorch batteries.

Ian

Yea but then that's offset by having to spend a fortune on garlic and silver bullets...

jules007

jules007

• Moderators
  • 2,811 posts
  • LocationIn a little galaxy in space
i cant recall ever having much luck on a full moon when fishing
may the only thing you catch in life be carp!

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,506 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

There has been much written and debated about this subject and it is generaly agreed that the presence of a full moon can increase the chances of catching and catching bigger fish...

It may be very true that a Full Moon puts more Carp Big Fish captures on the bank, although I think it has also been written that the full moon also puts off a lot of other fish from feeding or from being captured.

So if you want the chance of a big fish then fish on a full moon, but if you want to catch loads of fish, then it isn't worth the effort.

Strangely enough in my experience, a full moon when Pike Fishing often keeps the pike feeding until very late at night, sometimes all the way through, and the following morning can be very quiet as the fish have all fed up the night before and are digesting, resting and recovering.
Nick

brighton_carper

brighton_carper

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationBrighton
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who struggles during the full moon. I'm not sure a full moon would actually stop me going though, although it might be a deciding factor if I was deciding between two weekends.

cobleyn

cobleyn

• Members
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationI loved jessica rabbit until she ate all the bacon.
Its a double edged sword I believe. I think there is some merit in the notion that fish feed in an unusual way when there is a full moon. I suspect this is more to do with light levels though, more than the gravitational pull. ie the fish think that it is a long dusk.

The flip side though and it ties in to what Welder said- is that if we can see more- so can the fish. Fish that usually only have there sense of smell at night- suddenly have a bit of light to to go by too...rigs and tight lines through the water that should be invisible- suddenly become obvious.

Just my 2 penneth.
Everything is better with bacon.

dougmoon

dougmoon

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  • Locationcrazy on a ship of fools Anchored ofshore @ eastbourne

So many jokes....

feel free :lol: i was expecting some :roll:

doug
always chasing that extra bite

pali

pali

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSlovakia
I have opposite experience. New moon is much better, utter darkness brought me much better catches.
It is not necessary a fish you are after...

welder

welder

• Moderators
  • 6,579 posts
  • LocationMust pay the water rates.......

Its a double edged sword I believe. I think there is some merit in the notion that fish feed in an unusual way when there is a full moon. I suspect this is more to do with light levels though, more than the gravitational pull. ie the fish think that it is a long dusk.

The flip side though and it ties in to what Welder said- is that if we can see more- so can the fish. Fish that usually only have there sense of smell at night- suddenly have a bit of light to to go by too...rigs and tight lines through the water that should be invisible- suddenly become obvious.

Just my 2 penneth.

Neil, your 2 penneth are both worthy of consideration. May I add that, in my humble opinion, the mysticism which often surrounds a full moon ( see Zammmo's comment) is caused by that strange, penetrative silver light we experience at full moon, doubly so if fishing, due to water reflection.

I rather like it and enjoy fishing all night if only to see more of it. My bivvy is strangely coffin shaped, by the way.

Ian
I started with nothing....still got it.

james666

james666

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationLuton, Bedfordshire
When i night fish, i normally stay in my bivvie with when it gets dark and read a book however when its been a full moon then i have always sat out side and look out over the lake.

And makes casting to features alot easier :lol:
Out fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users