Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Groundbait recipes!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

izzywizzy

izzywizzy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHampshire -
Hi, Does anbody out there make their own groundbait, only being a pensioner I cant afford to buy shed loads of it from my local tackle shop, and was thinking of making my own, and wondered if any of you guys (and gal's) make your own, and would like to share their recipe with me. It would be much appreciated. Thanks. :D

marty_h

marty_h

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBeside The Lake
I take it you are talking about groudbait for carp one I have used with good results is sausage rusk that is available from a butches that makes there own sausages and that ask for like £3 in moneys worth that will normally make enough to fill a cool box. To prep it add water from the lake and mix the rusk in till it begins to swell and then leave for about 30 mins you will know when it is ready as you can ball it up and it will stick together nicely. You can then stir in sweetcorn,pellet or what ever else takes your fancy. It clouds well in the water and makes a nice bed to attract and let's of plenty of smell the best thing about it is that when the fish move in on it the rusk will not fill them up its a very cheap groundbait.

Another mix I presently making is pidgion conditioner with garlic powder and garlic salt in a 55L bucket I leave it to soak for 3 days till it starts to ferment and bubble then I boil it up and once boiled I then portion it off and freeze what I don't need for another trip and once at the bank mix in pellet and corn and the boilies I'm using

Both are fairly cheap to make hope that helps

james666

james666

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationLuton, Bedfordshire
i have made my own in the past and it has worked a treat :) i use it on lakes, rivers and canals and have success with it everywhere.

Firstly, you need a blender.

Then just grind up some a bread loaf uncut from the bakers, thats is your base mix. the rest is up to your imagination. ill list some of the ingredients i have used to mix it up.

Curry powders/various other spices
Sweetcorn
food colouring
tuna
salmon
sardines
tinned fruit cocktail

also if you can afford it, hemp works well aswell, i know aldi sells small tubs of hemp for a few quid.
Out fishing

jemsue5

jemsue5

• Members
  • 3,116 posts
  • Locationsunny telford
Get a sack of Vitalin dog food as cheap as chips and carp love the stuff

izzywizzy

izzywizzy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHampshire -
Thanks Marty, I like the sound of the rusk one , I'll give it a go.

I take it you are talking about groudbait for carp one I have used with good results is sausage rusk that is available from a butches that makes there own sausages and that ask for like £3 in moneys worth that will normally make enough to fill a cool box. To prep it add water from the lake and mix the rusk in till it begins to swell and then leave for about 30 mins you will know when it is ready as you can ball it up and it will stick together nicely. You can then stir in sweetcorn,pellet or what ever else takes your fancy. It clouds well in the water and makes a nice bed to attract and let's of plenty of smell the best thing about it is that when the fish move in on it the rusk will not fill them up its a very cheap groundbait.

Another mix I presently making is pidgion conditioner with garlic powder and garlic salt in a 55L bucket I leave it to soak for 3 days till it starts to ferment and bubble then I boil it up and once boiled I then portion it off and freeze what I don't need for another trip and once at the bank mix in pellet and corn and the boilies I'm using

Both are fairly cheap to make hope that helps

izzywizzy

izzywizzy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHampshire -
I like the idea of this, but doesn't it float, I thought all dog food floated? and I presume you have to make it up somehow.

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,714 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

I like the idea of this, but doesn't it float, I thought all dog food floated? and I presume you have to make it up somehow.

It sinks :wink:
Just add water :wink:

Have a read:
http://www.carp.com/...pic.php?t=28418

Things like Rabbit Mix can be purchased from Animal Feed stores, or in smaller amounts, sometimes even your local Newsagents/Grocers
Nick

brighton_carper

brighton_carper

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationBrighton
There’s loads of good, cheap stuff out there, you’ve just got to use a bit of imagination, and buying in bulk also helps.

You can pay £11 for a 1kg tub of precooked hemp from a tackle shop, but you can pick up a 15kg sack of hemp or Maize from animal feed stores for about £20. Once you’ve cooked it up, it’s well over 20kg, so one of each is over 40kg of bait, and that will keep you going all season. I sometimes add a tin of Tuna, or whatever tinned fish is on special at the supermarket. It also helps to add things like curry powder, milk powder, rock salt. All pretty cheap, and definitely effective. As someone else said on this thread, Vitalin is also pretty good as part of a mix.
If you lend a friend a tenner and they don't pay you back, it was money well spent.

izzywizzy

izzywizzy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHampshire -
Brilliant idea, thanks for your help

There’s loads of good, cheap stuff out there, you’ve just got to use a bit of imagination, and buying in bulk also helps.

You can pay £11 for a 1kg tub of precooked hemp from a tackle shop, but you can pick up a 15kg sack of hemp or Maize from animal feed stores for about £20. Once you’ve cooked it up, it’s well over 20kg, so one of each is over 40kg of bait, and that will keep you going all season. I sometimes add a tin of Tuna, or whatever tinned fish is on special at the supermarket. It also helps to add things like curry powder, milk powder, rock salt. All pretty cheap, and definitely effective. As someone else said on this thread, Vitalin is also pretty good as part of a mix.

:D

brighton_carper

brighton_carper

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Brilliant idea, thanks for your help

:D

Apart from the fact that my Missus hates the smell of cooking hemp.
If you lend a friend a tenner and they don't pay you back, it was money well spent.

carpsoup

carpsoup

• Members
  • 196 posts
You can't go wrong with Vitalin....

izzywizzy

izzywizzy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHampshire -
Just bought a 2.5kg bag of vitalin, I tested a handful with some water, do you bind it together with something cos the bit I tried didn't stick together? Apologies for being thick!!!!!!

Steve

Have a read:

Things like Rabbit Mix can be purchased from Animal Feed stores, or in smaller amounts, sometimes even your local Newsagents/Grocers

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:

fantasticmrfox

fantasticmrfox

• Members
  • 500 posts

Just bought a 2.5kg bag of vitalin, I tested a handful with some water, do you bind it together with something cos the bit I tried didn't stick together? Apologies for being thick!!!!!!

Steve

Have a read:

I've never used it yet, but intend to soon, from what I gather it binds up itself, you just have to soak it for quite a while, try using boiling water, the heat might help release the sugars which will help make it sticky... If you suss it out mate let us know, it'll help a lot :D
Mr Fox!

carpsoup

carpsoup

• Members
  • 196 posts
Just add water (lake water preferably), give it a mix and wait 5 mins. Depending on how much water you add you can have a sloppy spod mix or orange size balls that that stay together all the way to the bottom. You can use it as is or add things like maize,pellets etc. I liked to add CSL with the water.

brighton_carper

brighton_carper

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationBrighton
Never use tap water, it's full of fluoride and chlorine. Use lake water, if you can store it in a glass bottle. Don't use plastic bottles as the plastic will taint the water. Or do what I do, and use rain water. And don't forget to add a little salt.

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,714 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

Never use tap water, it's full of fluoride and chlorine. Use lake water, if you can store it in a glass bottle. Don't use plastic bottles as the plastic will taint the water. Or do what I do, and use rain water. And don't forget to add a little salt.

Regarding salt:
http://www.carp.com/...pic.php?t=48683

I honestly can't see any problem with using tap water. Especially if like many people you use a water filter in the kitchen before you boil any water anyway. Come to that, I'll happily drink water straight out the tap, never done me or the childrens goldfish any harm, and they change the water with water from the tap, although they do leave it to get to room temperature. In fact many of the chemicals evaporate off if you leave it to settle. :wink:

Next question, if plastic taints the water, why are many bottled mineral waters sold in plastic bottles? :wink:

If you make up the Vitalin balls before you go (24 hours or so) they get a pretty good skin on them, and can be catapulted or thrown further than made up on the bank. Also adding boiling water softens up the harder maize (I presume) particles faster than cold water from the lake.

I usually only mix Vitalin on the bank if I'm adding particles, which will have been soaked and boiled at home in water out of the tap. :wink: :lol:

By the way if there are any bream in the water, then they also love Vitalin based groundbaits.
Nick

izzywizzy

izzywizzy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHampshire -
Solved it, I think. Added pint of hempseed, little bit of left over groundbait, large tin of evaporated milk, drop of olive oil, salt, and syrup + 2 eggs. sticks like poop now, I'm just worried now it wont break down when it gets in the water!!!! javascript:emoticon (':lol:')

Steve

Have a read:

I've never used it yet, but intend to soon, from what I gather it binds up itself, you just have to soak it for quite a while, try using boiling water, the heat might help release the sugars which will help make it sticky... If you suss it out mate let us know, it'll help a lot :D

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

ianain

ianain

• Members
  • 276 posts
You can test some in a bowl at home to see if it breaks up :D

izzywizzy

izzywizzy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHampshire -

Steve

Tried it out on tuesday, caught 5 mirrors all about 5-6 lb, I'm impressed guys, will be using this in future. thanks everone for your good advice

Have a read:

:)

izzywizzy

izzywizzy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHampshire -
Tried it out on tuesday, caught 5 mirrors all about 5-6 lb, I'm impressed guys, will be using this in future. thanks everone for your good advice
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users