Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Winter suits

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

philbowman

philbowman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Locationnear a lake
Been looking at winter suits eg tundra, prologic 2piece , and ice burg can any one recommend a winter suit for around £100 many thanks

peteblount

peteblount

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  • Locationwillenhall, west mids
i have the tundra and i wouldnt recomend it you need to buy it 3x bigger than your size then the fleece looks like youve got your dads coat on. it doesnt breathe and you end up soaking wet on the inside which then makes you cold for £100 there are better suits out there
a fish in the hand is worth five in the bush

PETE

stoogi

stoogi

• Moderators
  • 7,622 posts
  • LocationThe hatchet man is coming. Tick tock......
Some info here http://www.carp.com/...pic.php?t=54770

newmarket

newmarket

Newmarket

• Members
  • 5,146 posts
  • LocationDeepest ,darkest,Grays...a quiet little hamlet , nestling on the banks of the Thames .NOT.
dont know if you can still get hold of `em but the Ron Thompson specimen suits , the 2 piecers , are the nuts !

bought mine about 4 years ago , they were very reasonably priced under £50 if memory serves and very very warm as well as comfy .

would highly recommend it if they are still available .

welder

welder

• Moderators
  • 6,775 posts
  • LocationMust pay the water rates.......

dont know if you can still get hold of `em but the Ron Thompson specimen suits , the 2 piecers , are the nuts !

bought mine about 4 years ago , they were very reasonably priced under £50 if memory serves and very very warm as well as comfy .

would highly recommend it if they are still available .

Just what I'll be needing for the Winter Social. I'll have a look around, thank you.

Ian

travisbickle

travisbickle

• Members
  • 2,608 posts
  • LocationDiplomacy is the art of saying 'I completely understand!'... till you can find a good bit of timber.
Been saying this since 07....they are cracking gear....bib n brace...jacket....warm in the worst of weather....and genuinely waterproof...tested for twenty mins with fire hoses....and NO leaks at all....neoprene cuff....all round decent honest kit :wink:

Del

derbybeef

derbybeef

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationLOST

Been saying this since 07....they are cracking gear....bib n brace...jacket....warm in the worst of weather....and genuinely waterproof...tested for twenty mins with fire hoses....and NO leaks at all....neoprene cuff....all round decent honest kit :wink:

Del

On my shopping list then

travisbickle

travisbickle

• Members
  • 2,608 posts
  • LocationDiplomacy is the art of saying 'I completely understand!'... till you can find a good bit of timber.
you wont be let down by it mate :wink:

woodchester17

woodchester17

• Members
  • 647 posts
Save money and get better kit at army surplus. Wont be fashionable but much better kit that will last.

brighton_carper

brighton_carper

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Save money and get better kit at army surplus. Wont be fashionable but much better kit that will last.

Totally agree Woody. Apart from footwear, everything I wear fishing in winter is Army Surplus. You can't beat it, dirt cheap, and made to last.

Best bit of all is my Norgie.

And a Merry Christmas to you Woody.
If you lend a friend a tenner and they don't pay you back, it was money well spent.

travisbickle

travisbickle

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

Totally agree Woody. Apart from footwear, everything I wear fishing in winter is Army Surplus. You can't beat it, dirt cheap, and made to last.

Beg to differ fellas...been there ...done it....wore it as uniform....it DOESNT all stand up against kit on sale....otherwise you would find that all squaddies over the years would NOT of been buying "buckshe kit"...which is basically civvy gear of better quality than issue kit......sorry to burst your bubbles chaps :wink:

peteblount

peteblount

• Members
  • 1,164 posts

Beg to differ fellas...been there ...done it....wore it as uniform....it DOESNT all stand up against kit on sale....otherwise you would find that all squaddies over the years would NOT of been buying "buckshe kit"...which is basically civvy gear of better quality than issue kit......sorry to burst your bubbles chaps :wink:

my lad bought nearly all his gear for afgan privateley as the gear he was issued with wasnt up to the job, he bought a fair bit off the yanks

PETE

travisbickle

travisbickle

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

my lad bought nearly all his gear for afgan privateley as the gear he was issued with wasnt up to the job, he bought a fair bit off the yanks

Been there myself Pete....the cold weather gear is garbage.....and the yanks will always have the better kit....lucky lads have a Govt that give a toss about them.

peteblount

peteblount

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
totally agree hes done 2 x iraq and 2 x afgan and every time he has bought his own gear hes just finished 12yrs and has had enough now and took redundency he says its pants now nothing like what it was way to soft on newbies, softly softly attitudes now, no beastings and he tells me thats what made you a good soldier

PETE

travisbickle

travisbickle

• Members
  • 2,608 posts
couldnt agree more...my mate has just finished his full 22....says I wouldnt recognise it anymore...as you say...softly softly approach.....not the makings of a soldier is it....the beastings were hardened you up...got your head on straight...basically kept you switched on.

crye

crye

• Members
  • 25 posts
if you wanna pay more for less go get some of the fishing brand names. Get some goretex outer from a millitary shop,and buy some quality middle layers elsewhere in sport shops etc.
alot of the fishing clothing is highly overrated,you can always comoare the fabric with the fabric in a supermarket.
its hard to say what exactly u need,we all have different demands and diffrent heat control.

travisbickle

travisbickle

• Members
  • 2,608 posts
Branded fishing names are not all bad....funnily enough...the more expensive gear is the stuff thats usually total gash....

muftyboy

muftyboy

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Locationlondon
they have the ron thompson suits on cheshire angling site for £34 + £6 postage, just ordered 1 for me old mans birthday.

newmarket

newmarket

Newmarket

• Members
  • 5,146 posts
  • LocationDeepest ,darkest,Grays...a quiet little hamlet , nestling on the banks of the Thames .NOT.
Yeah you wont regret it mate , great bit of kit .
I've also got the ron thompson wellies to go with it , the ones with the removeable and washable inners .
Not the trendiest looking angling footwear available but , boy , they are toastie !!!
One tip though ......dont put it on till your set up on the bank .
You WILL sweat buckets !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users