Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bolt Rigs Vs Free Running Rigs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

bonedawg

bonedawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I have fished for predators for years where all must be free running IMHO I struggle to get my head around bolt rigs, whats best bolt rig or free running? I have caught using both, but would like to ask under what circumstances would either be preferable, I feel that the rig should feel as natural as possible to a carp picking up the bait so often opt for a free running set up, i can see the benefit in a bolt rig when night fishing but often worry that the carp will eject the bait when it feels the lead, I am currently fishing a 5 acre water which was stocked with 500 carp 20 years ago and has only just been opened up to the public this year, It should be easy but am finding it very tough, blanks are frequent but when a fish comes out it is usualy a good one, not to me yet though, my problem is as soon as I have been there for an hour or two without a run I start to question my set up, at the minute I am fishing with one rod semi fixed and the other free running but all i can catch are bream, I am new to the carp game so any advice would be welcolme.

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,724 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
We kind of started on the same subject a while back :wink: .

I kind of kicked it about and started this thread:

http://www.carp.com/...pic.php?t=26640,

but strangely didn't get that many replies. That may be to do with, I think in my opinion, that most Anglers just go straight to the Bolt/Semi-Fixed option with Lead clips.

Also a long thread that I started a couple of years ago now, :shock: entitled "Complicated rigs" really went into the rig thing as well as Lead Attachment. Beware though this thread in Advanced Carp Fishing is Long winded, headache inducing and will really get you thinking in many cases.

As for thinking and wondering whether we have got it right, you are not alone. I get the same feeling on the water I have been fishing since September.

bonedawg

bonedawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
cheers salo

ozric

ozric

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Location668, the neighbour of the beast
Thanks for putting the link to the post abut running/fixed leads. Saves me repeating myself about semi fixed rigs in piking.

I think the problem you have Bonedawg is rather not your rigs but the carp themselves. I fished a similar sounding water a few years back where the carp hadn't had any sort of pressure from anglers at all. After a frustrating month I sussed the obvious answer after watching carp ignore my baits completley only to feed on water snails on the lillies I was fishing against.

There is obviously plenty of natural food there otherwise the carp wouldn't have survived so well. It'll take a while for the fish to get onto unnatural food sources, you'll need to regularly feed in a good food source boilie a while to get them interested.

On the water I mentioned, all but one of the carp I caught were caught on small fake pellets or just black rig foam soaked in hemp oil over a bed of hemp. (hemp being the same size and "crunchyness" of water snails). Corn over beds of partiblend or other particles/seed feeds should score as should beds of dead red maggots (bloodworm"ish"?) with three or four artificial maggets on a hair.

I'd recommend trying to get the baits right rather than worry about wether the rigs are right at the moment as if they are reasonably "virgin" carp they shouldn't be rig shy at all.

Hope this helps you fella.

ozric

ozric

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Location668, the neighbour of the beast
:lol: I've just seen another of your post fella, If they are pickups you are getting it looks like you're on the right bait.

alwaysblanking

alwaysblanking

• Members
  • 8 posts
hi ya i use braided mainlines for my carp fishing i have done now for 2 years,and i use both running and fixed set ups the reason is that the water i fish has high bars and deep gullies,when im fishing on the high bars i use a bolt setup when fishing the gullies i use a running rig,BUT im on braid and that has no stretch so i rarely get ejection's,all i do on a take is pick the rod up and wind down(after tightning the front drag,i dont use baitrunners)

So in conclusion even if using with a mono main line i think both setup's are just as good as the other,so dont start questioning your methods as it will play big head games with you,i did the same last year and lost alot of confidence in my fishing which took time to recover from but i wasn't doing anything wrong.
I also went to france in that period and lost a very good fish,all because i thought it would be a good idea to change to a smaller hook as i wasn't getting pickups,but it wasn't me it was just a slow start,eventually i snapped out of it.

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,724 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
Just been going over my Reasons for using mostly Running Leads and came to something that I knew, but hadn't thought of as an Explanation.

I get my swivels from various sources, all in size 8. Yet these swivels are different sizes dependant on the supplier. Solar Size 8 swivels are slightly different size from Berkeley size 8's etc.

Now if I was using Lead Clips and Semi Fixed Leads I could be inadvertently making a Dangerous Rig as dependant on the Swivel I pick up from the Tackle Box it would jam or not jam in the Lead clip. Does anyone else actually think about these things to check them?

Come to that with Lead clips do people actually make sure that they only push the Rubber on as Lightly as possible to just grip the Lead?

With the Solar Bullet Beads, the Rubber grips the Swivel and the Solar Run Ring has no problem running up and down either the Mainline, Tubing or Leadcore with a Running Lead Arrangement.

If I use an Inline Lead then a Rubber Tulip Bead grips the swivel, but pulls free under pressure.

Jim Gibbinson wrote about using a Safe Semi-Fixed arrangement in this months CarpWorld with a John Roberts Bead. He cuts the Lug on the Bead, but it is still enough to hold the lead on using a moderate cast.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users