Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Want to learn have some questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 4 posts

Ok here is my problem.I fish the Ohio river.My problem is I have caught stinky winky on worms and small hooks but they are always small.I see huge carp swimming and jumping but they never eat a worm.So i tried for several months with corn instead.Still no takes.So i thought this time I will get help this lead me to here.

I have been reading and everything.I need to know what boille I should buy for a river.I think I plan on using the hair rig and the method feeder thing.My question are whats a budget rod pod that wont break the bank.Also what boille do you guys recommend I try I have heard that carp tec plum boille are nice.But another thing how big of a common carp would it take to take a 15mm boille?

Also I  need some budget bite alarms as well.

I was wanting to know if you guys could supply me with a list I could buy off a site like tackle box that would get my foot in the door carp fishing.Because what I been doing worm and corn wise just aint working.If it helps where I see all these carp it usually is gravel/ rock bottom.The dnr says that we have mostly common carp as well.

carpmachine

carpmachine

• Members
  • 8,253 posts
  • LocationNORTHAMPTON

Well buddy, i am puzzled that nothing takes the corn, it is simply the best river bait that exists, i would tell you to try peanuts but not without a lengthy prep process which i will explain if you PM  me but under no circumstances use them without a comprehensive understanding of what is required to make them safe, the other bait i would suggest is one i am toying with, try prawns, but on the boilies, a carp of 3 pounds will easily take a 14 ml boilie, but as extensive and prolonged baiting of your spots will be involved, i would think very carefully before choosing them.

I'm not paranoid, they really are out to get me :-(

Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 4 posts

i sent you a pm as well but yea the corn did not do anything.I put it straight on to a size 6 hook.I did not loose feed or use pack bait or anything.But it sit there for 8 hours no takers all in the while these giant carp were just swimming around having a blast.I did this for about 4 days 8 hrs a day.Some reason they dont like the corn or maybe its how im using it? Also i can get real small ones to bite worms but the nothing over 3 lbs.Never have had a giant run either in months i been trying for them since I noticed them a few years ago.They are always there every year.

Edited by Paul, 26 February 2016 - 07:19 AM.

brooklands

brooklands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

You don't need expensive gear there bud.

You are using canned sweetcorn, right, not raw corn from the feedstore?

Chuck a canful of sweetcorn in the hole, not just a couple of grains, and see what happens.

You might also try bread. just wrap the white around the hookshank, leaving the point bare.

buzzbomb

buzzbomb

• Moderators
  • 2,639 posts
  • LocationRegina, Saskatchewan, and Oliver, British Columbia, Canada

Welcome to the forum, I'd try making some big boilies up in the kitchen before buying any, or using some kind of big doughball.  You're already catching, so a little fine tuning might get you on larger fish. You might want to try  larger hooks or experimenting with different hair and rig lengths.  Some try larger baits for bigger fish and I know someone who gets the big ones with home made donkey chokers the size of golf balls.  Campaigning, or feeding groundbait repeatedly in one area to get them coming back is, I've found, most affordably accomplished by going to the feed store and buying a sack of whole corn, soaking, flavouring and cooking a few scoops at a time in a big pot to make a pail full at a time then baiting every 2 or 3 days.  You'll get them.

I've got my eye on you.

Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 4 posts

all right thanks guys for all the help I will try all the suggestions

JayB1127

JayB1127

• Members
  • 1 posts

Paul, 

Im going to assume since you fish the Ohio river, you are in the same region as I am. (Im from WV.) I wrote a good article last year on my fishing clubs website. http://fishingreport...m/carpfishing1/ Also, I would encourage you to look for my groups website on facebook. Fishing Report WV. We have about 9k fisherman from all over the state, and many from other states. We may have some carp guys near you, who can give you some good tips in person. If you need anything, holler at me, I hope you figure these guys out!!!

Jason Butcher

• newmarket likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users