Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

sapphire lakes - newark

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

bilse

bilse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
i went to sapphire lakes at the weekend without much success, could anyone reccomend some good baits and rigs

many thanks

luke

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,577 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
Sorry Mate,

No Short Cuts in Carp Fishing. You still have to get off your backside to look for the Fish and the signs.

The most imprtant thing that I have found is find your fish, Location is probably the most Important Part of Carp Fishing. You can't catch Fish that aren't where you are fishing.

Bait, find a bait that the Carp want to feed on. It may be a Boilie, Maggots, sweetcorn, luncheon meat or a number of other things. Grasshoppers, Slugs, Worms, Bread all work in the right situation.
You don't have to spend "silly amounts" on bait.

Rigs, keep them as simple as possible. A simple knotless knotted and/or line aligned hook to whatever hooklength you feel comfortable with. With just a standard rig you can adjust the length of the hair or the rig length, either of which can improve your catches.

That quote comes from this thread:
http://www.carp.com/...pic.php?t=17661
Nick

bilse

bilse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
what a gr8 help

fenboy

fenboy

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationFetch me a bigger net !
I have fished here a few times .
Dont know how experienced you are but sapphire lakes is pretty hard going at the best of time , it may have changed but it used to recieve a huge amount of pressure mainly due to the fact that a lot of the rules were unsuitable for a lake this small , they used to allow bait boats and even allowed the on site row boat to be used for placing of rigs baiting etc , because of this most fish tended to be caught right under the trees on the out of bounds bank or even amongst the lillies as this is were most of the feed was going , as far as bait went from what i remember most were using nutrabaits bfm boilies.

bilse

bilse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
cheers for the info mate, would you reccomend a1 pits or cromwell lakes?

cheers

luke

fenboy

fenboy

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationFetch me a bigger net !
to be honest not fished either , but i do know there have been some problems in the past with security on A1 pits (unsavoury visitors) both pits do contain some good fish though.

tonybranno

tonybranno

• Members
  • 5,227 posts

Sorry Mate,

No Short Cuts in Carp Fishing. You still have to get off your backside to look for the Fish and the signs.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

bilse

bilse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
^if your gna say stuff like that u mite aswell not say n e thin at all

nt a great help is it

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,577 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

^if your gna say stuff like that u mite aswell not say n e thin at all

nt a great help is it

Problem is you think its sarcasm, but as much information as you can learn off the internet and Forums, there are times when you do have to get down to the lake and really learn it from Personal Experience.

Every Lake is different, every fish is different. As good as any information is, at some point it gets out of date. So any information you receive now, by tomorrow, it could be useless. Hence why I was a bit cheeky on my answer.

What is sad that people expect every single answer to be written down for them. Unless you do some things for yourself you simply don't learn. In Carp Fishing if you don't learn, then you don't continue to catch. You have to learn and be able to adapt to different circumstances. :wink:
Nick

bilse

bilse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
yea personal experiance is good, but so is knowing abit about the water before you get there, hence y i ask for advice before i visit. i only asked 4 advice not to know the life story of the lake. cheers 4 the post any way, i know where your coming from

cheers

carperdude3d

carperdude3d

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

cheers for the info mate, would you reccomend a1 pits or cromwell lakes?

cheers

luke

ive fished A1 afew times and im planning a few nights on there when my exams are done, its a decent place its got 6 lakes so one of them will suit your ability and what your looking for. i like pit 5 its got some good fish in and is a nice lake. pit 6 has big fish but is quite hard and is quite weedy

dewolf

dewolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationsheffield
greeting i promist myself never to go there again but a good carp fisherman i no told me to give it anuther chance becos it had new owners so i did and i have to admit it was great graham and his son tom made me feel very welcome even thou thay had only had it a short whill thay got to no the water and with good advice i got myself a very nice 12!12 comon and it was good i have recomended it to a number of people and had very good responses to it when thay have reterned if...... i will be ther again on the 29 of this munth with the missis if you go i would be happy to here wot you have to say about it ...tight lines

matthewpickwell

matthewpickwell

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Locationlakeside,ranskill
very hard went last weekend no fish caught they were jumping every where

dewolf

dewolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationsheffield
i have fished saphir lakes a few times and u can use a bait boat.since the new owners have it it has changed for the better. all the silly rules have gone and thats a bonus to most fisheermen.if u go on to there web sit u can download the rules/it still can be hard wark but when u get one on it makes it all warth whille mate.all i can say is go give it anuther go and see for yourself if u aske the owner he will give u sume addvice on the baits to [use or try] go again/. tight lines my frend

matthewpickwell

matthewpickwell

• Members
  • 268 posts
owner said corn fished to reeds and in margins

nigewoodcock

nigewoodcock

• Moderators
  • 3,589 posts
  • LocationLittle birds make me squeal like a girl!

yea personal experiance is good, but so is knowing abit about the water before you get there, hence y i ask for advice before i visit. i only asked 4 advice not to know the life story of the lake. cheers 4 the post any way, i know where your coming from

cheers

How do you think the people you ask for advice from found the information in the first place?
Did they ask someone else? If so, that information is already out of date. What about the people before that?
The only way to get up to date information on a water is to get out and fish it yourself. Sure there are always a few variants that stay constant but these are bits of information I would want to keep to myself, or tell a select few that I know and trust.

matthewpickwell

matthewpickwell

• Members
  • 268 posts
is cromwell lake any good

matthewpickwell

matthewpickwell

• Members
  • 268 posts
have u fished lakeside at ranskill been 4 or 5 times not caught any yet