Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

how long do carp spawn for

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

carperdude3d

carperdude3d

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
last weekend the carp were spawining will they have finished this weekend and is it ok to fish for them straight after spawning
?? cheers lads

zammmo

zammmo

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • LocationOld fishermen never die, they just smell that way
Carp can spawn any time between May to July..They need a temprature of between 16-22c typicaly for 7 to 14 days..Theres no reason not to fish for them after spawning but personaly I would try to avoid areas where they could still be spawning...

silly12sally

silly12sally

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  • LocationThe act or process of locating. A place or site where someone can be located; a site.
I have caught carp whilst they are spawning. It can be very productive.

Carp can spawn 2 or 3 times throughout the may-july period.

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,271 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
As soon as the eggs are dropped then the Carp starts producing more spawn. If the water temperature keeps warm then Carp may actually spawn all the way through to September.
Nick

carperdude3d

carperdude3d

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
i have read they are very hard to catch wehn there spawning though :shock: and do you think i should fish this weekend just not near were there spawning then ? n cheers again lol

sharpy86

sharpy86

• Members
  • 2,659 posts
  • LocationEssex

i have read they are very hard to catch wehn there spawning though :shock: and do you think i should fish this weekend just not near were there spawning then ? n cheers again lol

Well its even hard to catch a fish when your not on the bank :wink:

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,271 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
Chances are during the actual spawning the Female Fish won't feed, they just have the urge.

The Male Carp are reputed to have a quick munch on the way in or out of the spawning area, but the Females won't feed until its all gone.

I wouldn't fish in the spawning area, too much chance of foul-hooking a fish, but if you can find a safe route in or out then a bait there may produce.
The Carp are likely to be a little tatty though until they have recovered, cuts, missing scales and torn fins, they do get a little bit excited!
Nick

neilscatchin

neilscatchin

• Members
  • 2,717 posts
  • LocationSomerset
Personally I think fishing anywhere near spawning carp displays a fish at all costs attitude.Spawning is an especially stressful experience for the fish and I think to impliment a "close" season should be every owner/club's own responsibilty and should be dictated by when the fish start on each fishery.At the first sign of spawning the fishery should be shut for a minimum of 3 weeks so the fish can spawn in peace without the added stress of having to worry about angler's lines etc.

welder

welder

• Moderators
  • 6,487 posts
  • LocationMust pay the water rates.......

Personally I think fishing anywhere near spawning carp displays a fish at all costs attitude.Spawning is an especially stressful experience for the fish and I think to impliment a "close" season should be every owner/club's own responsibilty and should be dictated by when the fish start on each fishery.At the first sign of spawning the fishery should be shut for a minimum of 3 weeks so the fish can spawn in peace without the added stress of having to worry about angler's lines etc.

Fully agree with every word.

Ian

slinger

slinger

• Members
  • 510 posts

Agree to a degree on that, but how can you close a lake whilst they're spawning?
On a hyperthetical 4 acre square lake, the fish could be spawning in the top left corner in April/May, and in the middle of May they could be spawning in the bottom right corner. Admittedly, it does put a strain on the fish if they get hooked up, but the chances are very slim that a spawning fish is going to be interested in eating. Not saying that they are not going to eat, but slim chance all the same.

dave909uk

dave909uk

• Members
  • 433 posts
I had six fish in a night and in the morning i realised why, they were all out in front of me and began to roll around on the surface spawning.
So in my limited experience they do feed.
was using single pop ups though so possibly wouldnt have started munching on a bed of bait.

whiteymoza

whiteymoza

• Members
  • 167 posts
Iv been watching a lot of fish getting ready for spawning and the females have huge football like bellies.

They are big at this time but even if I could catch them I would rather not risk damaging them or interrupting the spawning process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users