Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

California Delta

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

slo_gin

slo_gin

• Members
  • 3 posts
Hello

I keep my boat in the California Delta at a place called Whiskey slough Harbor. There are alot of ducks and geese in the harbor and the residents there including the gentleman that keeps my boat tied to his houseboat feed them bread daily. There are huge schools of carp near the marina that come out to feed when the ducks and geese are fed. I have never seen one person fish for carp there but I'm going to. I love to catch carp because they simply fight like mad. There would be no problem chumming up a large group of carp and I would love some advice on attacking this carp fishing. I lived on clear lake in Northern California and caught many huge carp on canned corn right off my backyard which was right on the lake. I used to throw half a can of corn out and then fish a doughball made of flour and water and cornmeal in the middle of the chum. In whiskey slough I have seen huge goldfish swimming right in schools with the regular carp. I'm thinking people let them go when they became too big for their aquariums. I've see bright orange ones that look just like the ones in small fishbowls that would exceed 15 pounds easily. I've also seen carp that would exceed 40 lbs easily just suspending in weedbeds near the marina and throughout the slough. I'm definately going to try some carp fishing and if any of you experts live close to me I'd gladly show you this area loaded with carp if you show me a few tricks on how to best target them.

carphead

carphead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi Slo Gin, welcome to Carp.com.

I live on Clear Lake and fish for carp off my back yard as well. I haven't fished the Delta for carp because I could never find any public shore access. If the carp are feeding on the floating bread, just use a #4 hook tied to the end of your line with a small piece of bread on it. Float the bread in the area of the feeding fish (being careful to keep the ducks & geese away:-) and when a carp sucks in your bait, set the hook and hold on. If there are no feeding fish around try your old Clear Lake method of fishing a doughball over a bed of corn, it should work there as well.

Please let us know how it goes.
Wishin you good fishin

Ed

Nor Cal Carp Club

slo_gin

slo_gin

• Members
  • 3 posts
I'll let you guys know. Right after my initial post the area was hit with a big storm. As soon as I can get out there I'll let you know how it went.

slo_gin

slo_gin

• Members
  • 3 posts
By the way carphead I lived close to nice. I lived on the water over at laferty slough on laferty road and I used to fish off nice constantly for bass and one day when I was over at nice a kid was catching a carp and he caught it on corn so thats why I tried it off my place. I miss clear lake very much.

carphead

carphead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
Yeah I doubt that the carp will be actively feeding in the Delta after all the rain.

There's a lot of carp here at Clear Lake and they will probably start getting active around the end of February or early in March. If you ever get the urge to fish here again, PM or email me and maybe we can wet a line together.
Wishin you good fishin

Ed

Nor Cal Carp Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users