Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

fishing in Richmond, Virginia, USA

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

gudgeonman

gudgeonman

• Members
  • 4 posts
I'm hoping to move to Richmond Virginia next year and as a keen carper am concerned that I will have to turn my attention to a different species. Does anyone know what opportunities I might have for some carp fishing, or any other for that matter?

newt

newt

• Members
  • 240 posts
Excellent area for carping and quite a few good carpers in that general area.

Where will you be moving from?

gudgeonman

gudgeonman

• Members
  • 4 posts
Thank you Newt. I'm moving from Surrey, England and am very pleased to hear the good news re venues. Lots of carpy lakes over here and my pb is 33lb 6 oz. - the venue I normally fish is fairly heavily stocked and a 20lb fish is not uncommon in an overnight session.

Could you perhaps provide me with more information on the venues in Richmond, size of fish, difficulty of venue etc? Or even better some website addresses?

If you have experience of UK and USA carping, are their any significant differences in terms of the types of venues available, equipment required etc?

Thanks again for any feedback you can give

mudfish

mudfish

• Members
  • 119 posts
:P
I live about 200 mile south, we have lot of big carp on the east coast!
good fishing!

gudgeonman

gudgeonman

• Members
  • 4 posts
Mudfish,

This is getting better all the time....where do you fish? Any websites you can recommend?

Anyone???....:D

mudfish

mudfish

• Members
  • 119 posts
I am a new carper as you would look at it! Mostly rockfish and catfish! I know some carper in NC! That closer to where you are going!
I go to lake santee in SC and the rivers that feed it!

newt

newt

• Members
  • 240 posts
gudgeonman - take a look at
http://www.carpangle...orum/index.php?

North American (mostly) forum run by CAG (Carp Anglers Group). Posters from all over the US and parts of Canada.

mudfish

mudfish

• Members
  • 119 posts
Newt one of the NC people I was thinking about for you!
Newt what do you do for the $$$ ?
You in computer you seem to know alot about them!
:D

newt

newt

• Members
  • 240 posts
Mudfish - computers it is.

Normal job is managing a server farm (main server room) for a large mfg operation. Some PC support since I work a back shift and the normal PC support folks leave at 4:30 which leaves me with around 500 PC users.

I also help mod a Windows Help forum.

Been doing computer stuff off and on (mostly on the past 25 years) since the early 60s.

mudfish

mudfish

• Members
  • 119 posts
5 years software! Good fishing!
:D

coolbird

coolbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Computers since 1979 (to damn long sometimes) I manage/admin a fairly large site in the UK for a global company, wifes just got permanent resident status and moving to her daughter in florida (near daytona) shortly and I am to follow, possibly moving to virginia in the near future, hence the interest in this group.

Been all types of course fishing in the UK since I was around 12 am now 48, also enjoyed some lively outings in Ohio and Indiana, been carping for approx 15-16 years

Picking up a load of useful info here guys thanx and if I can help in any way just get in touch.

newt

newt

• Members
  • 240 posts
coolbird - thanks.

If it is Virginia for you, there are at least 2 annual carp fish-ins held there and others in Maryland plus one of the oldest (well, US style oldest so about 5-6 years now :D ) in downtown Washington D.C.

They are all fun outings and it will feel sorta like 'old home week' for you since about half the folks who will be there are Brit ex-pats. The rest of us are rough US homegrown types. We have fun comparing styles and swapping lies. :) ;)

In case it helps your decision, most of Florida is completely carpless unless you want to count grass carp. No one seems to have any idea why and especially since carp are found all over the US and the lower half of Canada.

coolbird

coolbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Newt

Damn quick reply:) I have seen that florida seems to be devoid of the king of fish and hope I can talk the relatives into a move, as for elsewhere I have been looking around and it seems to me the best of areas besides texas is virginia (have read a load about Lake Orange) and New York state, but I am not fussy I can blank anywhere as long as the company is freindly, who cares:cool: :cool:

newt

newt

• Members
  • 240 posts
Except for the cold winters, New York State can be nice as long as you can avoid the area of New York City (way too many people and expensive) and Buffalo (way too much lake effect snow for my tastes).

But I would certainly prefer Virginia for myself over New York. I fished yesterday at a WWD (Warm Water Discharge) stream that empties into Hyco Lake - on the VA/NC border. It's sort of my 'go to' stream for winter fishing when I really need a bend in the rod. Fish aren't huge and the usual day sees mostly high singles and low doubles but with the water never dropping below 65ºF and current from 1mph to maybe 4mph, they are lively most of the time.

Yesterday was unusual since the two of us who fished only had smaller fish to maybe 8 lbs (released at the waters edge with no weights taken) but we put maybe 10-12 fish on the bank and lost a good half-dozen more to the snags that are all over the creek. No fish tethered though since you can tell by tugs on the line when the fish is still on and we never pulled for a break until the line had gone slack - about half the time the fish will free themselves and you can land them.

Not a bad day at all considering the air temps were around 20ºF (-7ºC) or a little lower when I arrived at around daylight. I drive from southern NC so around 150-160 miles to fish it. My usual partner there lives in VA but has only around a 30-35 minute drive.

And if VA, maybe we can tempt you to drive south to a lake near me that holds smallmouth buffalo to near 90 lbs. They feed and fight like carp although not the same species at all. In fact, smallmouth buff fishing is a lot like carping was during the dark ages. We do catch but the fellas who strike at the first sign of a bite (which will be a slooow lift of the line and an equally slooow release of tension for maybe an hour until the fish decides it's time for a screaming run) usually hit about 1 in 50 strikes while the ones who wait for a run nearly always hook up if they haven't gotten so stiff while watching the line that they can't strike. Somewhere there has to be a rig that will catch better. Maybe a bait as well because they will take maize, boilies, and the other usual carpy baits but they play with them lots longer than seems reasonable. The lake is around 12,500 acres and you need a boat to get to most of it but I got a boat and 12,500 acres just means you got lots of places to try. :D

The same area holds a nice population of catfish to near 100 lbs although I've not had any above 40 lbs YET.

johnhse

johnhse

• Members
  • 6 posts
Hey Newt - It seems. at least you caught fish. Went out Sat-31st.
Weather was in 60's with cold wind (15-20).Remember those low teens mornings. Had to put a bit of nylon on.Sweet dought and the fish were again very largartic. a pattern, the last couple of Saturdays, but some of that is the fisherman also. Spend time watching Canadian Geese and a couple of pretty young ladies jogging. Sometimes can't make up my mind which I like best. Cold rain, snow ,predicted tonight. I hate the artic air this year and we are cool like you all. Been checking catalogues for blanks and would like to build me a 11-12 ft noodle with good sics guides and PVA/Cork Handle. Have the blank picked out and this will be probably the last rod I'll build(done 14 fly rods 2wt to 12wt) Its always something and want to do this one right.
Hse

coolbird

coolbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanx Newt

When you refer to a warm water out fall, this reminded me of a secret venue in the UK back in the 80's there was a warm water outflow canal from a large power station and simply huge carp were caught right through the worse winters, this canals location was never released until after the power station was closed.
Sounds like you found a good spot,,,,,,,,but damn 12,500 acres wow.

And what the hell are "smallmouth buffalo" I have never heard of them but 90lbers have to be worth looking at.

Regards Coolbird

newt

newt

• Members
  • 240 posts
Bigmouth buffalo (Ictiobus cyprinellus) - Mid water filter feeder and nearly impossible to target with hook and bait. Mostly accidental catches.

Smallmouth buffalo (Ictiobus bubalus) - sucker mouth bottom feeder similar to carp. Not very cold tolerant but seem to grow larger in warmer waters in the Southern US than the carp do.

Black buffalo (Ictiobus niger) - very similar to the smallmouth but don't get quite as large and do tolerate cold better so found in parts of the northern US. Very hard to tell black from smallmouth but generally smaller body and larger head.

smallmouth
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bigmouth
~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted Image

coolbird

coolbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanx Newt

I have fun fished quite a lot in the U.S like I said but have never heard of these, but your right they are similar to carp and these long pulls make you think that the rig will just need tweaking to get the hair rig to work right, what combinations have you tried??
balanced baits maybe or a hinged rig with a fang type hook may work, are you using running leads or semi-fixed rigs (bolt rigs)

Regards Coolbird

Forgot to ask whats the fight like :cool:

newt

newt

• Members
  • 240 posts
Tried both running and bolt. Tried various hair lengths.

Never saw a 'fanged' hook. Got a pic? I have some line that does a reasonable hinge although I don't normally use them. Surely would be willing to try though. Saw another rig I'm anxious to try when the water starts to warm a little. Fella rigged a small swivel to the hook by wrapping his knotless knot over the top section then put a hair on that. I also plan to try much shorter hook lengths in tehe 2-4 inch range.

Any additional ideas would be welcome.

Buffs fight sorta like a carp on steroids. A big one will initially fight like a stump or a heavy log in that you ain't gonna move it a bit. Then they seem to realize there is this hook thing they don't like and they go a little nuts. Ho ho ho. Some fun. Better have plenty of line spooled up though since the first couple of runs can be long ones. I fish for them with 500 yards of 50lb PowerPro on an Abu Garcia 7000 C3 reel. The lake is around 35 miles long and over a mile wide where I usually fish so they have plenty of room to run. :D

If you can ever get to North Carolina, we can certainly manage some fishing. I'm getting a new boat come Spring with a center console and plenty of room to walk all around so it will be easier to deal with the big beasties then now when I gotta pretty much stay in one place. Faster too so easier to run to places where I want to set up to do shore sessions.

Have this one now.
Posted Image

Getting this one (well, pic is 18ft and I'm getting a 20ft that is also about 2ft wider as well as 2ft longer)
Posted Image

coolbird

coolbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Newt

Got our own thread going here eh.

The pattern I am thinking about is similar to the fox one attached, there are several makers of this type of pattern ESP, Nash, Fox to name a few, I suspect these fish are getting really interested in the bait and suspect that the long pulls have nothing to do with them being crafty, more like because the mouth faces down the normal hair method of the hook acting as an anti-ejection is not working, the normal method of tying on a hair is to whip the hair to the shank so its parallel with the point, I feel this is probably a mistake with these fish, if you whip the hair close to the eye, when the bait is sucked in the hook will naturally hinge outwards and with the additional bend in the shank this may give you the extra edge you need for the hook to catch.
I would also consider longer hairs, altering your hooklength and trying the differing rigs with semi fixed leads.
What material are you using for hook lenghts??

Regards Dave Hannon Coolbird:D

OOPS Nice boats by the way, I have a bait boat, that count:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users