Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Lunar Phases and feeding triggers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

chog

chog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
I started keeping a diary this year 06/07 as i was fishing a summer venue and a winter venue because i knew that these would be campaigns. The summer venue is a stocked fishery and the winter venue is a low stocked water with 20 fish tops in about 8 acres.

The diary has be invaluable this year as looking back over about 30 odd nights between Nov and the start of March i managed about 10 fish (two repeat captures) on my winter venue.

From the diary i have just pieced together that all runs happened during a lunar event be it new moon, first quarter, full moon or last quarter with most activity on a new moon.

To be honest i had always thought that phases of the moon were not important and even that a full moon would be detrimental but not now.

I have been looking back on the diary for the last year on the summer venue and there are some things that tally up but other reports don't.

I think this could be down to the lower stocked waters the carp are at the top of the food chain and therefore rely on triggers to start their feeding as being the larger species they should be able to feed when they want.

This brings me to a question in that carp do not have a stomach but a long intestine do they feel hunger?

chog

chog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Sorry i was trying to start a discussion on this topic to see if anyones own experiences agree or disagree with my finding

666carpcatcher

666carpcatcher

• Members
  • 7,397 posts
  • LocationPink Teapots..........
The only thing i have ever noticed is that i have never caught a carp on a full moon with clear sky's caught most other species though esp eels :wink:

levigsp

levigsp

• Members
  • 2,292 posts
  • Locationout of doors

The only thing i have ever noticed is that i have never caught a carp on a full moon with clear sky's caught most other species though esp eels :wink:

The most important thing I have learnt in a lifetime of field sports,is that a full moon is the worse time in general.
It does not matter if you are shooting ,ducks geese,rabbits ect,or fishing day or night for roach,carp,salmon,cod ect it is never as good on a full moon as it is on a new moon

bini4a

bini4a

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationManchester
I thought it was only me who does this!

I even have the lunar phase thing on my Google page.

'Never fish on or after a full moon' i was told when i was younger and so far i have found that it has a element of truth in it.

I first started taking notes during my Pike fishing winter trips and it does make a big difference, i read it has something to do with how light it gets during a full moon and this makes it harder for them to feed as they cant lurk as much. Someone also said its to do with things simlar to Tides in the sea (but he might have been drunk) i tried looking this up but theres way to much science with tides and gave up.

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,717 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
We have had the same subject ages ago, I don't know if any of these are any use?

http://www.carp.com/...ight=moon phase

http://www.carp.com/...ight=moon phase
Nick

666carpcatcher

666carpcatcher

• Members
  • 7,397 posts
  • LocationPink Teapots..........

The most important thing I have lernt in a lifetime of field sports,is that a full moon is the worse time in genral.
It does not matter if you are shooting ,ducks geese,rabbits ect,or fishing day or night for roach,carp,salmon,cod ect it is never as good on a full moon as it is on a new moon

Yeah pretty much agree with you there, the one species i did find to feed well in full moon conditions (at night) was the Eels though :? :? :wink:

moorsey

moorsey

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • LocationBurgundy, France
I have also kept records in the past and found the results to be totally inconclusive. The only result that I can imagine is that, once you have decided that it's only worth going fishing when the moon is at a certain stage, you go less because the moon phase doesn't fit in with your holiday or weekend. On the other hand at least you can go fishing with a ready made excuse before you get there.
Nowadays I just work hard on finding the carp and let the moon, wind, temperature and all the other uncontrollables get on with it.

levigsp

levigsp

• Members
  • 2,292 posts
  • Locationout of doors

The most important thing I have lernt in a lifetime of field sports,is that a full moon is the worse time in genral.

Yeah pretty much agree with you there, the one species i did find to feed well in full moon conditions (at night) was the Eels though :? :? :wink:

I agree you can catch eels on a full moon,but I found the following.
The full moon in the middle of summer when conditions are good produced for me,when conditions were poor then catch rates were worse than in poor conditions on the last quater,the same with carp and bream.

levigsp

levigsp

• Members
  • 2,292 posts
  • Locationout of doors

I have also kept records in the past and found the results to be totally inconclusive. The only result that I can imagine is that, once you have decided that it's only worth going fishing when the moon is at a certain stage, you go less because the moon phase doesn't fit in with your holiday or weekend. On the other hand at least you can go fishing with a ready made excuse before you get there.
Nowadays I just work hard on finding the carp and let the moon, wind, temperature and all the other uncontrollables get on with it.

This I am afraid I have to disagree with you about most strongly,for the following reasons.
I have kept a general diary,a fishing jurnal,and a hunting jurnal,religiously for 33 years.
I will not buy a diary without the phases of the moon.
And I fill the details of every day in the diary,this includes what I have done,what the weather has been doing ect.
If I go fishing,even for an hour it gos in my jurnal,with all the details.
Now in 33 years I have yet to see anybody elses jurnals to be as comprehensive.
So I beleave that I can draw some conclusions from these writings,they are over a long period,and not only cover me but also everyone else with me at the time.
Firstly let me state that I have caught on every moon phase,every wind and in every conceveable weather condition.
Also let me state I would always advise people to spend as much time as poss on the bank,regardless of conditions ect.
Secondly my best catches{for all speices}have been on last quater,up to a new moon,tailing of through the new moon into the first quater.
In other words my best catches given the same weather conditions have been on the dark side of the moon :wink:
I have gone through my records time and time again and they always point the same direction.
I for one know the moon has an effect on all creatures,including us,and its nothing to do with the light.
I also know for twenty years I have had people up here Salmon fishing,shooting ect,and the ones that come up on the dark side constantly out perform the others,even though there skill levals are the same.

moorsey

moorsey

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • LocationBurgundy, France

This I am afraid I have to disagree with you about most strongly,for the following reasons.
I have kept a general diary,a fishing jurnal,and a hunting jurnal,religiously for 33 years.
And I fill the details of every day in the diary,this includes what I have done,what the weather has been doing ect.
So I beleave that I can draw some conclusions from these writings,they are over a long period,and not only cover me but also everyone else with me at the time.
Firstly let me state that I have caught on every moon phase,every wind and in every conceveable weather condition.
Also let me state I would always advise people to spend as much time as poss on the bank,regardless of conditions ect.
Secondly my best catches{for all speices}have been on last quater,up to a new moon,tailing of through the new moon into the first quater.
In other words my best catches given the same weather conditions have been on the dark side of the moon :wink:
I have gone through my records time and time again and they always point the same direction.
I for one know the moon has an effect on all creatures,including us,and its nothing to do with the light.
I also know for twenty years I have had people up here Salmon fishing,shooting ect,and the ones that come up on the dark side constantly out perform the others,even though there skill levals are the same.

I'm not sure which part you disagree with strongly but I will just underline that my own records were inconclusive......fact
I go fishing when my time allows and not when the moon is right.....fact
I don't avoid going fishing because the moon is wrong.....fact
My biggest carp (56.07 lb) came during a fullmoon with clear skies and no wind.....fact
All my effort goes into watercraft, presentation and bait application and I am perfectly happy with my results.

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,717 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

I'm not sure which part you disagree with strongly but I will just underline that my own records were inconclusive......fact
My biggest carp (56.07 lb) came during a fullmoon with clear skies and no wind.....fact
All my effort goes into watercraft, presentation and bait application and I am perfectly happy with my results.

The thing is that no matter who records what, the results are going to be different for a number of reasons.

Firstly there is going to be the fact that some of us have confidence in the "wrong" times, so as a result they may unconsciously be fishing better.
Secondly, if you are anything like me then you simply can't match the perfect moonphase, weather, wind conditions, so you just have to go fishing whenever the time is allowed.
Thirdly, there is always going to be the "exception that proves the rule". This particular fish may need to feed more than others, so is catchable more often.

I suppose if we were all in Levi's situation of Hunting and Guiding "all the time" then we may see more conclusive results, but unfortunately it is extremely difficult to draw firm conclusions from 1 persons results, as honest and as detailed as they are. If everyone did the journal writing then maybe there could be a more definite pattern seen.

I'm not decrying Levi's results or Moorsey's in the slightest, its just difficult to compare. Its like having 2 people together witness at an accident, both stories will be different, but the main picture will be that there was an accident that occurred and that there are 2 sides to every story, yet both are truthful.

Saying all that I have read many articles in magazines and know that many fish are caught regularly at particular times of the year, normally twice a year. Now if we were to go throgh this would we discover that these big fish are caught on the same Moon Phase? I believe in some cases we would.
I half remember a Tim Paisley article, on the 24hour period, he had I think it was Conan at 30+, there were a series of other Big Fish caught throughout the country.
Nick

levigsp

levigsp

• Members
  • 2,292 posts
  • Locationout of doors

Ok wrong choise of words on my part,and no offence was intended,it was your findings I disagreed with.
You see,every one I have known,who kept detailed records has come to roughly the same conclusions.
I did state I had caught at all sorts of time ect,but that certain phases of the moon do have an effect.

chog

chog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

been on the dark side of the moon

:lol:

Levi i must admit i seem to have had better results on a new moon or in and around.

Last year was the first time that i kept a detailed (and i mean everything) diary and for the winter period i was out at least twice a week for most weeks because we did have and exceptionalty mild winter, everytime i seemed to be fishing Nov, Dec, Feb , Mar - Didnt do that much Jan. It seem to be blowing a nice SW 20mph > 80 mph (Had 3 fish and lost one in 80 mph wind best session to date)

Now believe me when i say i blanked alot but the periods that fall on a lunar cycle seemed to produce a fish or a run at least. Now the water i am fishing is low stocked maybe 20 carp in the 8 acres but the theory regarding the effects of the moon seems to be strongest with the larger specimums. My thinking here is that even though my 20 carp are not that big 20lb being the largest they are still top of the food chain on the water and therefore can afford to be triggered by an external event because they will alway be at the head of the table.

The theory on the moon is really directed at catching the larger fish and this was where i was going with this.

BTW i am not pretending this is my theory (www.moonstrike.com) but its just somthing that i have found has a correlation with my winter fishing on a low stocked water but on my summer venue its a bit more hit and miss

Oh and just to add a couple of friends are pyschraitic nurses and they say that the period that everything will kick of is on a full moon.

If anything its worth having a look at out of interest.

Now where did i put my robes i have a pagan ritual to perform tonight

HOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

goblin

goblin

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationThe woman who says she is willing to meet you halfway is usually a poor judge of distance.

Levi i must admit i seem to have had better results on a new moon or in and around.

Last year was the first time that i kept a detailed (and i mean everything) diary and for the winter period i was out at least twice a week for most weeks because we did have and exceptionalty mild winter, everytime i seemed to be fishing Nov, Dec, Feb , Mar - Didnt do that much Jan. It seem to be blowing a nice SW 20mph > 80 mph (Had 3 fish and lost one in 80 mph wind best session to date)

Now believe me when i say i blanked alot but the periods that fall on a lunar cycle seemed to produce a fish or a run at least. Now the water i am fishing is low stocked maybe 20 carp in the 8 acres but the theory regarding the effects of the moon seems to be strongest with the larger specimums. My thinking here is that even though my 20 carp are not that big 20lb being the largest they are still top of the food chain on the water and therefore can afford to be triggered by an external event because they will alway be at the head of the table.

The theory on the moon is really directed at catching the larger fish and this was where i was going with this.

BTW i am not pretending this is my theory (www.moonstrike.com) but its just somthing that i have found has a correlation with my winter fishing on a low stocked water but on my summer venue its a bit more hit and miss

Oh and just to add a couple of friends are pyschraitic nurses and they say that the period that everything will kick of is on a full moon.

thats where the word "lunatic" comes from mate :wink:

chog

chog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Yip Goblin thats right :lol:

Oh I had a read from the other posts and people were getting hung up on a full moon but I am more interested in the cycles here. I would perfer to fish a full moon that i couldnt see, i.e there is a bit of cloud cover.

levigsp

levigsp

• Members
  • 2,292 posts
  • Locationout of doors

thats where the word "lunatic" comes from mate :wink:

My eldest sister springs to mind :wink:

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,717 posts
Looking at Moon Phases thread again, and just realised that Two Tone and the Burghfield Common were caught at about the same time, although Two Tone obviously received more publicity
Nick

lemmy_b

lemmy_b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

I want to sum things up for you guys.

the Solunar Period which is best for fishing is: highest or lowest moon stance phase. (During a new moon, both moon and sun are in near-perfect rhythm traveling the skies together with their forces combined.)

When a Solunar Period falls within 30 minutes to an hour
of sunrise or sunset you can anticipate great action! When you have a moonrise or moonset during that period the action will be even greater.

And, finally, when the above times occur during a new moon, you can expect the best action of the season!

links:

http://www.weerstati...l/maanstand.htm

http://www.weeronlin...NG=nl&WMO=06291

The links are dutch but "doable" just fill in the right day on " weeronline" after you watched the "weerstation" link and watch for the sun en moon phases.

Example: August... best time of the year for fishing because of TWO New Moon dates. friday 1st of august on 05:34 am MEZT ( 1 hour before and after ) and on 09:30 pm ( 1 hour before and after ) are the best times to fish.

For some it's a theory so don't take my word on it. I for example am convinced it's works. Try for yourself.
add on. the bigger the fish get the more they tend to act to the phases of the moon. ( theory) but I believe :)

ps. Book yourself a holiday in that month to France :) record carp catching lol

Edit* made a mistake and corrected it. ( had major period the same as moon phase )

lemmy_b

lemmy_b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Interesting news for today guys and girls.
sun and moonset wil be just half an hour in difference from each other. almost at the same time.
Try to fish this day and find out if it helps for you... for my country it starts at 9:47pm for the sunset and 10:15pm for the moonset + it's a new moon.

cheers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users