Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

fishing near wirral

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

leemac

leemac

• Members
  • 2 posts
any suggestions on good waters near wirral

marker

marker

• Members
  • 920 posts
  • LocationWirral
its rubbish round here mate, only port sunlight angling club is worth joining and most of their waters are small ponds and pits, they all contain carp though and they do have raby mere which is a bit bigger :wink:
apart from that theres very little else :(

http://www.psac.co.uk/

leemac

leemac

• Members
  • 2 posts
any one heard of burton towers in north wales not to be mistaken with burton mere wirral?

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Hi leemac , when you ask " Good waters " can you be more specific ,
There are few large lakes on wirral but thgere is certainly some Good fishing ,

As stated Port sunlight are well worth joining, Grove Fisheries have testing fish to 20+ , Ashcroft fisheries is an imaculate water due to limited numbers ,
Never dismiss some of the pond fishing as it often takes more skill to catch from these type of waters ,
Fishing , is often like a game of chess on water ! There is a lot to be learned by fishing all types of waters ,
I belive planning has been aplied for near willaston for a large day ticket lake , be interesting to see what happens ,
Good luck with your search , Stan >
I need another lifetime!!!

stang

stang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
hi,

And don,t underate the "shroppy"

Stan.........g

Ellesmere port. :lol:

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Hi , Stan ,
Yes the Shroppy brings back memories , Rushtons stretch was good , I fished near the Backford to mollington stretch mostly for Tench , , It is so couloured now with runoff fron th landfills close by , ,
I fished Mollington Lake [ before the Poilce had it] , And the Pump pit had reasonable Carp too .

Did you ever fish the £30 behind the coal yard?? Still a few carp left in there , The old Roadside pit by the windmill was netted 5 years ago a lot of doubles were taken to the fisheries in Sea Hill rd Saughall!.

I recall seeing 3 realy bid carp in the Basin , Terry Fisher used to feed them when the Fishermans Cove was there .
I Fished Birkenhead Park 30 years back , but its risky now!! .
Burton Mere closing was a blow for the Carp lads , but it was overfished in later years .
If anyone is prepared to look around and ask propperly ,I still belive ther is a lot of testing waters in the area , [ Just NO large lakes soley for carp. ]
Cheers Stan , From Stan !!!

marker

marker

• Members
  • 920 posts
  • LocationWirral
i used to fish the pump pit for tench in the 80's :lol: i got smashed up a few times by the carp in there although i don't think they go much over 15lb :wink:
not sure theres any carp in birkenhead park these days, it was drained a year or two ago and my mate reckons they've only restocked with silver fish? not sure if thats true or not, you'd expect them to put back what was taken out?.
it is risky fishng there though :wink:

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Hi Marker , catching them was a lot easier than landing them!!! .
And yes the carp originaly stocked in Birkenhead were a lovely strain , long lean linear mirrors ,

Did you ever fish the " Captains Pit " in wallasey??? , I recall a few doubles there at one time , Happy days , Stan .

snobber

snobber

• Members
  • 271 posts
http://www.fisheries...thwestindex.htm

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Cheers Snobber , Kind of you to forward the info .
The cost of traveling these days keep me close to home , Stan .

stang

stang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
hi guys,

Rushtons, Molly Lakes, Pembo's, The Basin, Pump Pit,

You guys must be near my age.

What about the Boostings ?
Still there on Google earth

cheers

Stan..........................g :lol:

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Hey Stang, Bet you have not fished all of them !!!! There is one on there you take a serious risk to fish now , [ He still has the Shotgun!! ]

I saw some NEW pool,s at the siude of the new roadworks heading to shotwick lights , be interesting when they fill and develope .
Did you ever fish the one back of Bowwies club? . some good crucian in at one time , if you could avoid the shopping trolleys ,
The Boosting,s , Full of small perch last I fished , Too many Moto Xers n 4x4 trucks now ,
Upton anglers still have a few pools by the Zoo I think ,
I tell you where I fished , bet you have not!! Inside Capo factory in the old cooling tower lagoons , Big Rudd , even bigger Eels !!! Happy days .
Stan.

marker

marker

• Members
  • 920 posts
  • LocationWirral
i 'caught' quite a few carp from the pump pit stagg....but i never did land one, they always made the weed and smashed me up :roll: :lol:
i caught from birkenhead park, the carp used to like the little bay on the island opposite the boat house :wink: 8) not my kind of place though, the kids used to work in pairs, one would distract you whilst the other would nick bits of your gear :( i certainly wouldn't fish there today, in fact i don't think theres anywhere on wirral i'd join at the moment :?:
maybe that water next to meols station if i could get in, but thats about all :?

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Tell you what Marker , Go see Ashcroft Fisheries , It is a dream of a place now , Craig the balif fishes with you , [ I think it,s a minimum of 6 anglers he takes ,
I wouldnot mind a day,s return to there , Maybe Stan g , you , n me could suss it out , Bev nice to have some banter with like minded folk ,

I used to fish Damhead lane a few years back , no one ever came for the money in the times I fished it !! had good crucian + grass carp , Never caught a Carp from there but seen plenty , [ funny old game fishing] .
Are the pools in Caldy still there ?? another old haunt . and the back of hooton station too ,
Every one wants it easy now , park the car n fish !! my old Royal Enfield motor bike was spotted every where there was an untried pool , Hooton brickworks pool had good Tench , but withoput a doubt the best Tench for miles was Pembos .

Irby anglers had a lot of waters at one time but kept taking fish for a water near the railway line ,back of Taran way ,
I remember Lingmere being dug , its come a long way now and provides a local place for a lot of folk ,
Larton dairy had some pools , and there was a good carp pool in Frankby ,[ cant remember the name now , ]
My first recall of traveling to fish was in Fishers lane Pensby , before the houses were built [ 1952 ] , Trotters pit if I recall OK , There was one behind the old pig farm too .
Before I had a Motorbike I allways had my rods tied to my crossbar on my push bike . They would get robbed nowadays!! [ Bike n all] .
Hey Ia m Rambleing again , Will get a telling off from someone I supose , When they have enjoyed as much Fishing as me then they can SPOUT !! , Cheers , Stan .

lappie

lappie

• Members
  • 870 posts
i used to fish around that way, my dad got on the lake near the train station but he only pike fished it, and there is a tiny lake in hooton in a field which people fish, and that is owned by my aunite :lol:

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Hi Marker ,
I just looked at the info on PSAC , I was saddened to see Jeff Robinson passed away to the great lake in the sky [ Tight lines Jeff ] .

I had thge pleasure of Fishing along side jeff on a few occasions , A wonderfull guy , with a dry humor , He will be missed , Stan .

marker

marker

• Members
  • 920 posts
  • LocationWirral
the lake at the railway line at tarran way is the brickworks, i know lingmere is up there too but never seen it. i used to work on the tarran way industrial estate up until 2004 but i only ever fished there once, it just wasn't my type of place!...lol :wink:
did you ever fish leverhulmes manor stan? i went on there a few times to fish matches, such a lovely lake if only it was controlled by a club or open to day ticket :wink: i'd fish there if they ever allowed it :wink:
the only other water i'd be interested in is the duckery at ledsham, everywhere else is too small :o :roll: lol

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Ia m sure there is a Syndicate on the Duckery , ?? , A guy who was in my Syndicate was a member , , Land is TOO valuable on Wirral now to make a decent size water , Shame realy , .
Are you still a member of PSAC ?? I knew a few older guys ,

DO they still have Raby ?? the Ducks there were a pain!!! ,
Where do you fish now?? Stan .

marker

marker

• Members
  • 920 posts
  • LocationWirral
as far as i know the duckery is still a syndicate stagg, i did have contact details once but i lost them and i've never actually met anyone who's in the syndicate, in fact most carpers have never even heard of the place :wink:
i'm not in psac anymore mate, i dropped out in the early 90's to spend my time on burton mere and when i left there in 1994 i started travelling to the cheshire meres and i've been fishing in cheshire ever since :wink:
once you get onto some of the better cheshire waters its difficult to go back to fishing local ponds again and i've not fished anywhere in wirral for well over a decade now :wink:

ps, yes psac do still have raby mere :wink:

stagg

stagg

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationChester
Thanks for the update !!,

> Natural Progression , I think is the term , yes I would love to do more fishing but I have taken on too much as it is ,
Fishing is about halfway down my list of Hobbies , But its climbing a bit now , Nice to say Hello , Thanks for your curteous replies too , Stan .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users