Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Zig Rigs

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

bonedawg

bonedawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
On my local lake the carp can often be seen cruising just below the surface and its deep, floating baits are banned so I am thinking of targeting them with zigs, just a quick question, should they be fished as a running set up or semi fixed with an inline?
Every dawg has his day!

zander1

zander1

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
  • LocationVeni, Vidi, Vici
which ever you prefer- personal preference really

i think that you get better bite indication using a running lead but you may prefer a bolt rig type of setup????

if its deep you may want to use an adjustable zig (Like a marker float set up) so that you don't have to worry about casting a long hook link (like 12ft or something :lol: )- for this you have to use a running lead.

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
I fish mine as a running rig but if you type 'zig rig' into a search & click on 'search for all terms', there's 150 different threads to read which should give you plenty of ideas :wink:

bonedawg

bonedawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks, thats a good point on the marker style set up.
Every dawg has his day!

marker

marker

• Members
  • 920 posts
  • LocationWirral
unless the water is over 10ft deep i'll just use a fixed length rig, adjustables are good if its deeper but they do have their drawbacks, tangling on the cast being the worst, i struggle to cast the adjustable version more than a couple of rod lengths, any further and the float seems to wrap around the main line as it spins in the air :roll:

bonedawg

bonedawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Its about 12-15' all over other than 2-3' from the bank where it drops away quite steep.
Every dawg has his day!

iambunn

iambunn

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire

On my local lake the carp can often be seen cruising just below the surface and its deep, floating baits are banned so I am thinking of targeting them with zigs, just a quick question, should they be fished as a running set up or semi fixed with an inline?

Just a thought, by floating baits, does this inlcude pop ups etc? Or just baits for floater fishing like bread and chum mixers? Just a thought, as if it includes pop ups, then this would mean zig rigs are out of the question! :wink:
It's like that and that's the way it is!

bonedawg

bonedawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
The rule is floating baits, and if its a few inces below the surface then its not a floating bait.
Every dawg has his day!

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
I think what Bunn' saying is, a 'floating' bait is a floating bait no matter at what height it is, it's still floating, but that depends how you (or the lake owner / club) want to look at it I suppose :?

If 'surface' fishing is banned then the zigs are a good way around this, like you say, 3 or 4 inches under the surface isn't surface fishing :twisted:

I think I'd clarify it with the owners / club rather than risk getting banned.

I know it all sounds petty but some people are :roll:

iambunn

iambunn

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire
Spot on what I was saying. Just pointing this out just incase this is the case at the water, so that you don't get penalized for doing something you thought was within the rules :wink:

bonedawg

bonedawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
yes true good point, I will clarify with the bailiff, fortunately he is one of my fishing mates so it shouldn't take too long to clear up, but as you say, I don't want to get banned, and I wouldn't want to put him in a difficult position. I just thought it may be a way to catch those surface cruisers whithout breaking the rules. I am a rule abiding angler, but if I see an angle to gain an edge I will use it (legaly of course)
Every dawg has his day!

iambunn

iambunn

• Members
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire
Good stuff, well I hope it works out for you, and look forward to seeing some reports on here :D

jones5777

jones5777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales
Can anyone please helpme, i've been reading about the zig rigs and an interesting point about using a marker float set up on a running lead.

I'm just wondering what would be the best way of safely tieing this type of rig. Obviously I know how to use marker rigs etc.. but am unsure on how to safely tie this rig to fish with. Also I assume you would not use any type of leader.

Please help

jayhtn1

jayhtn1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNottingham
the best lead set up 4 zigs is a light swivel lead of around an ounce attatched 2 a lead clip. dont use a tail rubber, instead tie it off with pva string or tape. when pva melts it allows the lead 2 be ejected on the run! this not only makes it safe it also makes it less likely 2 lose a fish while playing it which can happen often with zigs using heavier leads that are semi-fixed or running set-ups 4 that matter! good luck mate! :lol: 8)

slacker

slacker

• Members
  • 128 posts

Can anyone please helpme, i've been reading about the zig rigs and an interesting point about using a marker float set up on a running lead.

I'm just wondering what would be the best way of safely tieing this type of rig. Obviously I know how to use marker rigs etc.. but am unsure on how to safely tie this rig to fish with. Also I assume you would not use any type of leader.

Hey,
1 foot of florocarbon knotless knot to a swivel with chosen hook bait, 2 beads.
thread your lead up the mainline using a running clip add the 2 beads then tie on ya hooklink, Add some floating putty to the swivel to balence the weight out.
Cast out adjust to desired depth.

Regards
slacker

zander1

zander1

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
Why fluorocarbon?

a thin supple mono does the job just as well if not better-

when using an adjustable zig rig i use a 2-3 foot hook link followed by an in-line pike pencil float or an in-line bubble float (below the swivel) - a rubber bead or two and then a running lead attached to a boom with a cork ball (exactly the same as on a marker float setup) so that i know the rig will work over practically any lake bed.

you will suffer the odd tangle with any setup- no matter what- its just one of those things.

*you can get more buoyancy if using a bubble float (good for really deep waters) but be careful with your lead size and selection and casting as they can fracture the float- add extra rubber beads to be on the safe side - trust me- it can happen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:(could have just been a dodgy bubble float :? -large poly balls can also work well.

laben

laben

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationStafford
Anyone got a diagram of an adjustable rig? Just read Zander's post and I'm still well confused. Need to see it to picture it at the moment. Brain isn't working today!!

zander1

zander1

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
Posted Image

Is that any good mate????????

you cast out and loose line out a foot at a time like on a marker float untill the float surfaces and then just reel your mainline in so that your bait sits at the required depth :)

laben

laben

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationStafford
That's spot on thanks Zander.
Got a cigar float already so I assume that will do the same job.
Where abouts do you get the cork ball / boom from? I've had a good search around but to no prevail.
Thanks for the info.
Ben

mikesam

mikesam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Never used a Zig Rig and was wondering if you would need to use a ring swivel or could you use an ordinary one?
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users