Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tight Line Fish for Carp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

turbojim

turbojim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas
Does anyone tight line fish for carp?
I have great luck and have caught rather large carp with worms, it seems smaller red wigglers produce larger fish??

carphunter420

carphunter420

• Members
  • 26 posts

Does anyone tight line fish for carp?
I have great luck and have caught rather large carp with worms, it seems smaller red wigglers produce larger fish??

Can you please explain "tight line fishing for carp"
Worms would probably work good as long as the smaller fish dont steal the bait before a carp can get to it. I prefer a more "carp specific" bait (I.E. corn,boilies,doughbait,etc.) as there is a far better chance if you are getting bit, that it will be a carp on the end of the line.

turbojim

turbojim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas
By "tightline" I mean bottom fishing with no slack in the line, un like a bobber setup.
TJ

www.TurboAngler.com

carphunter420

carphunter420

• Members
  • 26 posts
I do fish this method quite alot,and it works outstanding when the fish are biting very lightly.The way I fish this method is...as i hold the rod and reel,I place the line over the tip of my index finger acting as a bite indicator.This allows you to feel every little bump and tap,and will increase the amount of fish hooked.

northernpikefishing

northernpikefishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Being very new to this sport, I use many of the same cat fishing techniques for carp fishing. I like to tight line due to its simplicity. I like to add some kind of bite indicator to let me know there is action. While it may not be the best method, I use it most of the time.

http://carpfishingta...er.blogspot.com

ghosth

ghosth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
I'd say the vast majority of my fishing is tightline, be it catfish or carp, or whatever else is in the river and hungry.

Somedays I'll even go so far as to "balance" the rod right in front of the foregrip. So if a fish picks it up, the tip goes up alerting me to action.

I ussually use a simple running rig, but with the tight line it acts like a bolt rig.

perldog007

perldog007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationKent County Delaware U.S. that is

I ussually use a simple running rig, but with the tight line it acts like a bolt rig.

Have you had any success using a hair rig like this? I am trying to find a way to catch some larger carp with U/L, I actually used a fox inline and hair rig, but blew out the anti-reverse clutch on a small spinning reel.

If you have used a hair rig, how long of a hooklength do you reccomend.

Thanks,

Doug
The beatings will continue until morale improves

buzzbomb

buzzbomb

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRegina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Have you had any success using a hair rig like this? I am trying to find a way to catch some larger carp with U/L, I actually used a fox inline and hair rig, but blew out the anti-reverse clutch on a small spinning reel.

If you have used a hair rig, how long of a hooklength do you reccomend.

Thanks,

Doug

Anywhere from 6 - 10" depending on the feng shui.... tight lines are sort of a given where there is a current and/or soft bottom so it's a luxury for me to be able to use a slack line. I take that back. Even though it's a free running ledger, (lindy rig), being mired in silt or hampered by current in effect makes it a semi fixed bolt rig so long as your hook is sharp and that's what makes a screamer. 3oz of WHAT??!!?
Learn to tie the hair rig..... the British record was stagnant until old wozzname invented it, and so on. Make love not war.

justin204

justin204

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
I find that short hook links work better for me. I find there is no need for long hook links. but that's just me. I started out fishing with lite tackle but now us my 12 foot rods with bait runners on them. But if you want a reel that won't break on you but is still lite tackle then go with pfluerer spinning reels. I use there President model and it has never let me down :D

justin204

justin204

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
My bad :wink: I didn't say how long I make my leaders. I make them about 4-5 inches long. Again I just never found a need to make them long. I have play around with making them from 3-18 inches long and I found that 4-5 inches works the best. The only reason I would make them longer is if I feel the carp are really being tough and I will make the leader a little longer to give the carp more swimming room before they feel the hook. But that normally doesn't happen often :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users