Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

DIY spod mix

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

bully32

bully32

• Members
  • 126 posts
Can anyone let me no of a cheep good spod mix that i can make my self :?:

tonybranno

tonybranno

• Members
  • 5,227 posts
I was under the illusions that ALL spod mixes are made by yourself :? I mean you dont go to a tackle shop and ask for "5 kilo of spod mix please" do you? :roll:

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,266 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

Can anyone let me no of a cheep good spod mix that i can make my self :?:

:roll: :? :shock:

Is that Cheep as in you want Bird Food ingredients or cheap as in not expensive? :wink: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

I can, especially since the information is already on the forum:
http://www.carp.com/...pic.php?t=28418

I was going to say use the Search facility :twisted: , but I'm nearly in a good mood so I'll post the link. :!:

ronniedude5

ronniedude5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Locationmid kent fisheries
i use a bird seed mix called pidgeon conditioner
works every time ;)
ronnie

carpking4

carpking4

• Members
  • 572 posts
bird food mix is great i get mine from pets at home a lb for 50p

katwel

katwel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Don't meant to nit-pick but you can buy buckets of spod mix from your tackle shop-you just add water!!

Gaz

Gaz

• Super Moderator
  • 5,209 posts
  • Locationwhere the fish aint

Don't meant to nit-pick but you can buy buckets of spod mix from your tackle shop-you just add water!!

well not quite that simple. add water soak for 24-36 hours then boil for 30 mins.

we are TOTTENHAM from the lane

stoogi

stoogi

• Moderators
  • 7,618 posts
  • LocationIf you see someone crying, ask if it's because of their haircut.

well not quite that simple. add water soak for 24-36 hours then boil for 30 mins.

I've seen spod mix ready to go. It's sold in small tubs & costs a small fortune :lol:

Gaz

Gaz

• Super Moderator
  • 5,209 posts
  • Locationwhere the fish aint

I've seen spod mix ready to go. It's sold in small tubs & costs a small fortune :lol:

makes me laugh that people buy it like that, it is so easy to prepare why spend all that money?

we are TOTTENHAM from the lane

ronniedude5

ronniedude5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
it costs me £11 for 20 kilo
soak for 24 hrs cook for 45 and then add any flavours you want
ronnie

Guest_hairymary123_*

Guest_hairymary123_*
  • Guests
I use hemp, pellets, boilies, tuna (in brine), maize. Works well in summer. It might not be a great idea to be firing out heavy spods of oily particles at this time of year.

sharpy86

sharpy86

• Members
  • 2,659 posts
  • LocationEssex

I got some of it free with a magazine subscription....It was basically just pellets :?

laben

laben

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationStafford
How oily is pidgeon conditioner? Is it oilier than hemp??
Just a couple of question that I'm wondering as winter is approaching!

ronniedude5

ronniedude5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
if u dont add anything to the pidgeon conditioner its not that oily but i usually add tiger nut extract and hemp and maize so it end up quite oily .

laben

laben

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationStafford
Would you still add the extras in winter or just stick with pidgeon conditioner??
Sorry about all the questions, I've just not used particles in winter as yet. This is first year I've started using particles so trying to gather as much info as I can!
Thanks
Ben

666carpcatcher

666carpcatcher

• Members
  • 7,397 posts
  • LocationPink Teapots..........
Pigeon conditioner works well on its own, try and avoid useing any extra oils than you have to in winter, most pigeon condtioners will contain a percentage of hemp as an ingrediant anyway :wink:

laben

laben

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationStafford
Bonus! Cheers for that. Can get this stuff in large amounts for cheap very local to me so will go a grab some once I've finished work!

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,266 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

And probably pay a bit more for it buying it from your local Tackle Shop as well

Pigeon conditioner works well on its own, try and avoid useing any extra oils than you have to in winter, most pigeon condtioners will contain a percentage of hemp as an ingrediant anyway :wink:

Don't forget that Particles often don't work as well in Winter. They rely on the Oils in them for Attraction. Colder water does not allow the oils to flow freely from the bait.
Nick

ronniedude5

ronniedude5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
i usuallly only use chopped and crushed boilies in winter but in small amounts
ronnie

laben

laben

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationStafford

Don't forget that Particles often don't work as well in Winter. They rely on the Oils in them for Attraction. Colder water does not allow the oils to flow freely from the bait.

More food for thought! Cheers Nick. Would pellets be better in that case in the winter? If so, I'm guessing ones with a faster breakdown would also be preferable? or am I going along the wrong lines here?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users