Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

how to build your own bite alarm

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

tom189

tom189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Locationnorfolk
hi im doing an electronic course at collage and have been asked to design and build a project. I have decided to build a fishing bite alarm although have searched the internet and came up with nothing for the actual circuit diagram for the alarm to get me started. Just wonderd if any one on here would be able to help cheers for looking

tonybranno

tonybranno

• Members
  • 5,227 posts
Surely copying a design for a circuit diagram is passing someone elses work off as your own? I would imagine (rightly or wrongly) that the stuff you have learned in class would hold you in good stead to do it yourself. After all, an electronic bite alarm must really be a basic thing to knock up for someone who is taking an electronics course :roll:

vinyljunkie

vinyljunkie

• Members
  • 711 posts
buy a cheap one of fleabay and reverse engineer it !

bluebirdjones

bluebirdjones

• Members
  • 3,815 posts
  • LocationAberdare, South Wales

buy a cheap one of fleabay and reverse engineer it !

Good idea, i'm sure the cheaper the alarm you buy the more simple it will be inside making it easier to copy.

Would something like a bivvy light be easier to make? Possibly make a red one to help the night vision?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of plagiarism Tony, as long as you don't get caught :lol:

tonybranno

tonybranno

• Members
  • 5,227 posts

There's nothing wrong with a bit of plagiarism Tony, as long as you don't get caught :lol:

Well ive got the thought that if you just copy someone elses work and pass it off as your own, your not really accomplishing anything. TBH you are cheating yourself, no one else. You are not going to gain from it are you?

Its the same in fishing. How many people have you seen on this forum that ask for advice on a certain venue when in truth they want you to fill them on all the info like the going bait, the best swim and what rig to use because they cant be bothered to do the leg work themselves, or just want the "quick fix".

Just my opinion :wink:

vinyljunkie

vinyljunkie

• Members
  • 711 posts

Well ive got the thought that if you just copy someone elses work and pass it off as your own, your not really accomplishing anything. TBH you are cheating yourself, no one else. You are not going to gain from it are you?

Its the same in fishing. How many people have you seen on this forum that ask for advice on a certain venue when in truth they want you to fill them on all the info like the going bait, the best swim and what rig to use because they cant be bothered to do the leg work themselves, or just want the "quick fix".

Just my opinion :wink:

i'm not suggesting that he copies, more looks at the design and how it works and developes his own idea around this pretty much how most mass produced bits of rubbish that come out of China are made !

Guest_hairymary123_*

Guest_hairymary123_*
  • Guests
Probably not the best group to ask mate. If I wanted to learn how to build a TV then I would not target Homer Simpson type characters for advice. :lol:

neontrifle

neontrifle

• Members
  • 274 posts

Probably not the best group to ask mate. If I wanted to learn how to build a TV then I would not target Homer Simpson type characters for advice. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kevtaylor

kevtaylor

• Members
  • 2,235 posts
Why not design something thats not been fully developed yet - maybe a growth area.

Like alarms for night time that wake the angler up if someone is snooping about nearby - preferably one that lets other anglers hear and see that someone needs help.

Actually arm the alarm with a gun to finish off the robbing ............!

I know theres a few designs about but they dont seem up to much.

Edit: What about an alarm specifically for detecting someone trying to pinch the rods :?:

bluebirdjones

bluebirdjones

• Members
  • 3,815 posts
  • LocationAberdare, South Wales

Why not design something thats not been fully developed yet - maybe a growth area.

Like alarms for night time that wake the angler up if someone is snooping about nearby - preferably one that lets other anglers hear and see that someone needs help.

ATTX sell an extra for the receiver that has sensors that you put around your swim to detect movement.

kevtaylor

kevtaylor

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

ATTX sell an extra for the receiver that has sensors that you put around your swim to detect movement.

Good - but does it kill them?

Seriously I think it needs flashing lights and very loud noise to put them off a bit?

jonezy

jonezy

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
Portable, sensor operated apache helicopter, that comes out your bivvy and blows them to pieces?

666carpcatcher

666carpcatcher

• Members
  • 7,397 posts
  • LocationPink Teapots..........
How would you combat the problem of you moveing around in the swim or removeing your rods from the alarms??

The simplist way would be to but sensors in the alarm where the rods sit and ativating when the rod has been lifted from teh alarm, bit like the pike alarms that switch of when the rod is lifted? but the other way around, but again you get the problem of what happens when you want to lift the rod (ok for if your recasting and turn your alarms of anyway) but if you get a run then what?

Now what would be a good idea (abit exstravagent though) would be to make an alarm with a reciever and a watch/ring or the like that works with the alarm (with a meters range or so) and when the watch/ring meat the alarm turns of, but if the rod is removed without the watch/ring being within range the alarm canot be turned off. :? :? :lol: :lol:

welder

welder

• Moderators
  • 6,779 posts
  • LocationMust pay the water rates.......

Portable, sensor operated apache helicopter, that comes out your bivvy and blows them to pieces?

You think a lot like I do, Jonezy. Be handy for errant bait boats too :)

Ian
I started with nothing....still got it.

jonezy

jonezy

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
A U-Boat would be much better!

johnla22

johnla22

• Members
  • 134 posts
my dad made me an optonic bite alarm in about 1992 , worked fine with latching led that had to be reset , ill get him to dig out the circuit , weather you can figer it out is another thing ,it took him a while and he's an electronics expert . Dont know weather he designed the circuit or used one he found ,knowing dad probably the first .

666carpcatcher

666carpcatcher

• Members
  • 7,397 posts
  • LocationPink Teapots..........
Something along the lines of this but with a speaker not a light :wink:

HERE

hopefull

hopefull

• Members
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationDucking bricks, bottles & smoke grenades
Could build it with some sort of narrow platform for the line to lay on, linked to a mercury tilt-switch? Don't know how sensitive that would be, as you would have to have an angle in the line for the platform to be moved, but it's an idea!

levigsp

levigsp

• Members
  • 2,322 posts
  • Locationout of doors
Whats wrong with dough bobbins :lol:

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,808 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

Whats wrong with dough bobbins :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Absolutely nothing I reckon. :wink:

For an Electronic alarm how simple do you want to go?

If you want easy and simple then you have (hopefull's) Mercury Tilt switch that when the Mercury completes the circuit will make a buzzer sound or light come on. Easily adapted as a Drop-off (Pike or predator style) alarm.

Or probably slightly more suitable for Carp fishing go back to the original Metal vane style like the Herons. I remember making something like that myself back in the 80's when I did my Electro-mechanical Engineering course. Can't remember exactly where I got the Casing for it, probably heat treated some plastic to bend it into shape :roll: :? :wink:

Jonezy,
If you thinking along the lines of that can you patent it, and I'll build it for a small share of the royalties :wink: :lol: :lol:
Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users