Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Scopex and boilie size

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

billytownsend

billytownsend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
What is the stuff and does it work?!?!
Also i will be using 15mm squid and octopus (dynamite baits) boilies.Will this be a suitable sized bait f caro between 5 and 15lbs?
Tightest of lines
Billy

tonybranno

tonybranno

• Members
  • 5,227 posts
Scopex is one of the all time classic flavorings for use in boilies. I think nearly every bait manufacturer has a scopex flavour in their range. And 15mm boilies will catch carp of all sizes. Dont think that you need big baits for big carp cos thats rubbish. Ive caught 20's on single 10mm boilies in the past.

billytownsend

billytownsend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Really?
I thought it was the bigger the boilie the bigger the fish1
Ah well lets just hope i tie my knots (which i have learned!!) strong enough to keep hold of the carp!!!
Tight Lines
Billy

dave_askew

dave_askew

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationShropshire
for me i use 12 - 15 mm boilies as an all rounder if im on a club waters small fish bream etc i tend to use bigger to keep the smaller fish at bay

but in winter i use smaller that for me is the the only reason i tend to stray away from 14 15 mm
Chef

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,595 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

Scopex is one of the all time classic flavorings for use in boilies. I think nearly every bait manufacturer has a scopex flavour in their range. And 15mm boilies will catch carp of all sizes. Dont think that you need big baits for big carp cos thats rubbish. Ive caught 20's on single 10mm boilies in the past.

Well said.

The original and best Scopex flavour has to be Hutchy, although Nash is a close second in terms of quality. Flavours basically rely on the base solvent or chemical to attract the fish, about as simple as I can put it, although many flavours catch more anglers than fish :wink: :lol:

As for boilie size, again, as Tony and Dave says a massive boilie doesn't alway catch you big fish, although if you are fishing a water where other species are a probelm then a MASSIVE bait can hopefully help to avoid them, but even that is no guarantee.

One of the Best looking 20lb+ Carp I caught came on 2 boilie discs cut from a sausage with a 12mm diameter. I very rarely use baits above 18mm, I want the fish to be happy munching them.
Nick

marker

marker

• Members
  • 920 posts
  • LocationWirral
defintely hutchy and nash for scopex flavour, its a classic :wink:

jp17

jp17

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationGabriolar BC
for Squid and otupus, if you are useing pva bags or mesh then crush some of the bolies up in a bait tray and then add some seetcorn to it and use the crums to dry the sweetcron out and add to a bag. Then on the hair add your bolie and a peace of plastic corn so its a snowman rig. this has worked wonders for me.

good luck. :D
JP

techo

techo

• Members
  • 292 posts
I use Nash Scopex No1 flavouring liquid and it certainly works. Only a very small amount is required. Either in boilies or soak the baits overnight. AS soon as you smell it you'll know the effect.

Another key ingredient is salt, as magnesium is usually deficient in most carps diet (well here anyway).

A quick bit of research into carp diet, carp aquarium care (problems carp develop due to dietary imbalance) can lead to discovering what will trigger a feeding response/brain stimulus and also will benefit carp.

Be warned: You are about to enter the world of 'using stinky stuff in the Missus kitchen", prepare to be told off a time or two.
:lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Techo

karld

karld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCornwall

What is the stuff and does it work?!?!
Also i will be using 15mm squid and octopus (dynamite baits) boilies.Will this be a suitable sized bait f caro between 5 and 15lbs?
Tightest of lines
Billy

Hya Billy, fishing the float on a 13` shimano Catana rod, size 14 gold sweetcorn hook and 6lb maxima mainline with 3 bronze maggot, my best to date on that setup was a 13lb mirror and landed it, so I would say you have every chance of catching much larger.

I don't think my butt has twitched quite as much as having that fish on light tackle, it literally took me all over the lake.
All I could do was slacken up on the clutch and let it run when it wanted too then slowly winded in as he tired, eventually after about 20 mins of playing he came in like a bream and borrowed my mates carp net to land him as he was too big for my spoon net :D
I couldn't fish after for a good 10 minuets due to shaking with adrenalin :D

jonezy

jonezy

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

The original and best Scopex flavour has to be Hutchy, although Nash is a close second in terms of quality. Flavours basically rely on the base solvent or chemical to attract the fish, about as simple as I can put it, although many flavours catch more anglers than fish :wink: :lol:

Aren't the Nash and Hutchy scopex the same? I'm sure I read somewhere that Nash bought the rights for said flavour.

As for bait size, I honestly don't think it matters, unless you are getting plagued by things like tench etc.

saddler

saddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Scopex is actually a butter flavour and was 1st bought out by Hutchy which was an all time classic, it goes well in any mix, Nash Scopex IS the same as Hutchy`s as they come from the same flavour house, this being so because once upon a time Hutchy and Nash where parteners in the Hutchy side of the company not Nash Ltd,

Squid & Oct is actually a spice and NOT Squid & Oct derived, there is no fish in it whatsoever,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users