Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Big River carping

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

thedddjjj

thedddjjj

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • LocationIf its not broke, why fix it?
Anyone fished the rivers much for carp. I am thinking more along the lines of The Thames and larger rivers. I know locations like Sonning and Kingston Bridge are all top secret (yawn) so this is not about location as I have my own. It is more about how you would go about it. I am sure some people here have had some success so what worked for you?

daleg2008

daleg2008

• Members
  • 312 posts
I'll tell you in june :wink: it can't go much worse than my lake fishing at the moment lol

pali

pali

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Anyone fished the rivers much for carp. I am thinking more along the lines of The Thames and larger rivers. I know locations like Sonning and Kingston Bridge are all top secret (yawn) so this is not about location as I have my own. It is more about how you would go about it. I am sure some people here have had some success so what worked for you?

Can you be more specific? I could write a book to answer your question... :o
What would you like to know? Are you uncertain about something?

crappercarper

crappercarper

• Members
  • 1,160 posts
  • Locationsunny southampton
pre bait pre bait pre bait pre bait and after that do a bit more pre baiting.

river carp can roam for miles in a day so you want to get them used to a certain spot where they will know foods availble. rigs dont need to be that clever just simple and strong as they fight like stink, a lot lot harder then your still water carp.

warren123

warren123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Jon
You should no better, a river carper is going to be about 5000 times more less likley to give you even a hint of were the fish are, I have fished the Thames for over 10 years and know of a lot of free spots, but you try and get help from these guy's.

Mind you depending on the weather I might know where they shole up before spawning, I am not kidding.

tryzard

tryzard

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • LocationIn the mists of time.......

Definitely the key to success!

thedddjjj

thedddjjj

• Members
  • 343 posts
I am lucky, I have access to an area of the Thames on private land, I see the fish group up and spawn every year - I have never tried to catch them before but interestingly a lot of them are mirrors. Some BIG long carp there too - in fact an awful lot of carp group up in this creek, clearly there are loads of carp in the river Thames but they must be tricky to catch as even drifting near them in silent dinghy spooks them off. I also happen to know that a lot were put in this particular stretch 16 years ago at about 8lb so they should be good fish now 8)

Pre-baiting advice is great, thanks. I will start doing it in the next few weeks to get ready for the big day :D Slight problem is there are TONS of BIG bream as well but I guess there is not much I can do about that.

Simple rigs - cheers, suits me :lol:

So how much bait do you reckon? 5 Kilos a week in the same spot be enough? I was planning to use hemp and big boilies, nothing else really. Hemp to draw them in and the monster boilies so the roach etc.. cannot eat them all!

Sound like a good plan or very flawed? Cheers in advance!

tryzard

tryzard

• Members
  • 462 posts
I would just use large boilies. Hemp will draw the bream like wasps round a jamjar!

crappercarper

crappercarper

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

I am lucky, I have access to an area of the Thames on private land, I see the fish group up and spawn every year - I have never tried to catch them before but interestingly a lot of them are mirrors. Some BIG long carp there too - in fact an awful lot of carp group up in this creek, clearly there are loads of carp in the river Thames but they must be tricky to catch as even drifting near them in silent dinghy spooks them off. I also happen to know that a lot were put in this particular stretch 16 years ago at about 8lb so they should be good fish now 8)

Pre-baiting advice is great, thanks. I will start doing it in the next few weeks to get ready for the big day :D Slight problem is there are TONS of BIG bream as well but I guess there is not much I can do about that.

Simple rigs - cheers, suits me :lol:

So how much bait do you reckon? 5 Kilos a week in the same spot be enough? I was planning to use hemp and big boilies, nothing else really. Hemp to draw them in and the monster boilies so the roach etc.. cannot eat them all!

Sound like a good plan or very flawed? Cheers in advance!

room for a guest????

kraftykarper

kraftykarper

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationEssexshire???

Definitely the key to success!

Thats where i'm going wrong then :roll: :lol: :lol:
Northern monkey in the deep south
Ey up...chips'n'gravy

Leeds utd through and through

thedddjjj

thedddjjj

• Members
  • 343 posts

I am lucky, I have access to an area of the Thames on private land,

room for a guest????

Normally yes, in this case probably not allowed one except the missus - sorry!

Good point about the hemp and bream Alan, thanks. Any ideas what you would use if you had this predicament? Just boilies on the river - I am not sure they will work on their own. Maybe giant halibut pellets, the proper gobstopper ones alongside boilies?????

Any ideas???

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,808 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

room for a guest????

Good point about the hemp and bream Alan, thanks. Any ideas what you would use if you had this predicament? Just boilies on the river - I am not sure they will work on their own. Maybe giant halibut pellets, the proper gobstopper ones alongside boilies?????

Any ideas???

I know that on a number of stretches of the Thames that Large Boilies are baited on there own, as the Chub, Barbel, Bream etc (and Crays) will really get into Particles and pellets.
Nick

noknot

noknot

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationThe Dark side of the Moon
Sounds to me like a job for the good old Maize :wink:
2009 Carp Cup Holder. HH

tryzard

tryzard

• Members
  • 462 posts

room for a guest????

Any ideas???

I know that on a number of stretches of the Thames that Large Boilies are baited on there own, as the Chub, Barbel, Bream etc (and Crays) will really get into Particles and pellets.

Yes Nick, I think that's right. Any good quality food source boilie should do the trick.

I suppose donkey-choker halibut pellets would work but don't barbel and chub love 'em?

tryzard

tryzard

• Members
  • 462 posts

Sounds to me like a job for the good old Maize :wink:

Hello Mr Bream! :lol: :lol:

thedddjjj

thedddjjj

• Members
  • 343 posts
Yes....my thoughts too - hemp/maize - same problem really. The bream are big, not skimmers. Great if you like bream - not so good for this problem.

I guess I am just a bit concerned about wasting lots of time pre-baiting with boilies if the carp don't recognise them as food or don't want to get on them. These carp will not have seen boilies, that I can be sure of in this location.

:?

crappercarper

crappercarper

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Yes....my thoughts too - hemp/maize - same problem really. The bream are big, not skimmers. Great if you like bream - not so good for this problem.

I guess I am just a bit concerned about wasting lots of time pre-baiting with boilies if the carp don't recognise them as food or don't want to get on them. These carp will not have seen boilies, that I can be sure of in this location.

you say you are fishing the thames right? so im sure these fish will have seen boilies before. correct me if im wrong please :)

tryzard

tryzard

• Members
  • 462 posts

It's a natural concern, but if you think about how a carp feeds (sucks things in off the bottom, swallows what it likes and ejects what it doesn't) then you can be fairly sure that they'll recognise a good food source when they come across it.

Another thought just occurred - are there any places you can bait up where you can see your freebies and whether or not they are being eaten?

On crappercarper's point - are barbel fished for in the places you are targetting, because many barbel anglers also use boilies?

thedddjjj

thedddjjj

• Members
  • 343 posts
This stretch of the river is almost entirely residential, in a way its actually pretty virgin in terms of carp fishing. Very few people who live on the Thames actually fish believe it or not, some do obviously but these are rarely fishing it for carp. Well I have not seen one on this stretch in the past 20 years anyway!

The river dips to 18 foot deep on this stretch - thats very deep for the Thames, this is not a tidal stretch. (Been up and down with a depthfinder/fishfinder many many many times...)

I used to think the BIG fish on the screen were big pike but as I got older I began to realise they MIGHT be but then again...

No I cannot envisage a way of waiting for them to come over the bait to see their reaction [you would need the patience of a saint and then some] - I dont even know where I am going to put it exactly but those kinds of problems I can figure out. The weed growth changes every year but thats ok, I can work that out.

I know its a bit hit and miss on the river but I reckon it is possible to form a sensible strategy with the time remaining until they are open again. At least i know the carp are definately around.

I can bait up and revisit the spot but it that a guarantee its the carp that have had it away - there are record everythings in the Thames so who knows what could have munched it - I gues if something has that would be a good start...still thinking :lol:

crappercarper

crappercarper

• Members
  • 1,160 posts
its a tricky one but a nice predicament to be in. good luck in your quest and i hope you catch a record.

out of interest, have you had any decent sized perch from there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users