Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Winter Carp Fishing

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

crazycarpfever

crazycarpfever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Its nearing winter and im not that much of an experienced Carp Angler so i was was wonder hows the best way to fish for carp and which bait is recommended to use on those cold days :?

courtz

courtz

• Members
  • 5,921 posts
  • LocationLeicester

Its nearing winter and im not that much of an experienced Carp Angler so i was was wonder hows the best way to fish for carp and which bait is recommended to use on those cold days :?

whats your target water like :?:?:?:?:

i get on well with fluoro pop up boilies on zig rigs at my water, as the water is gin clear.

crazycarpfever

crazycarpfever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Its just a dirt bottom, not clear , its also a club water so im not allowed to use
boilies and groundbait :oops:

courtz

courtz

• Members
  • 5,921 posts
  • LocationLeicester

Its just a dirt bottom, not clear , its also a club water so im not allowed to use
boilies and groundbait :oops:

whats the fish stock like?

paulmlpss

paulmlpss

• Members
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire
i just used small pva bags of pellets and boilie but you could use fake corn or something else. you could also try using maggotts they catch well in the winter.

courtz

courtz

• Members
  • 5,921 posts
  • LocationLeicester
you could give betaine (ie dynamite swim stim pellets) pellets and a bit of corn a try

hopefull

hopefull

• Members
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationDucking bricks, bottles & smoke grenades
pineapple pop-ups glugged up, or tutti's seemed to work for me when it was cold :)

crappercarper

crappercarper

• Members
  • 1,160 posts
  • Locationsunny southampton
the best way to fish for carp in the winter is wrapped up in lots of warm clothes and a bottle of rum to keep warm, thats my advice anyway :D

courtz

courtz

• Members
  • 5,921 posts
  • LocationLeicester

pineapple pop-ups glugged up, or tutti's seemed to work for me when it was cold :)

no boilies allowed on his water

carperdude3d

carperdude3d

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
sweetcorn and maggots mate i always use corn on 1 rod in winter and a bright flouro pop up but i know your not allowed them so go for magnets lol

ozric

ozric

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Location668, the neighbour of the beast
Where do you look to place your baits when winter comes ?

Are you looking for deeper water ? Or are you on the same features ?

Only asking as I may do some carping this winter.

crazycarpfever

crazycarpfever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the tips i shall try them out when i go next time :D

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,783 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true
Depends on the Lake to be honest!

No Boilies is not necessarily a handicap. :wink:

For Some reason some Carp in Winter often seem to have a preference for sweetcorn. Maggots, peperami, luncheon meat all work well.

Areas to place Baits: Bloodworm beds if you can find them :wink: , the remains of Old Weed Beds, other features, any area near a snag.

Carp aren't necessarily in the deeper water. They may find a temperature band that they are more comfortable with, not always at the Bottom, hence why Courtz has recommended his favourite Zig Rig Method :)

Way to get round Boilie Ban, if Peperami is allowed, make your Boilie Mix into sausages and then boil them. Stick them in a Peperami packet and then cut the Sausage when you put them on the hook. Better if the Base Mix is a Red/Brown colour :wink:
Not that I ever recommend Breaking Rules of Course :wink: :oops:
Nick

crazycarpfever

crazycarpfever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks thats a brilliant idea, what pepperami flavour is better :?: :lol:

craftycarper4

craftycarper4

• Members
  • 2,101 posts
  • Locationdorset
i tend to use depending on the situation small bags with critically balanced baits.

no12

no12

• Members
  • 533 posts
I fish the margins with maize, and hemp and maie on the hair.
During the winter I move onto the Match lake where most of the fish are Low doubles but have a couple of 20lb+ in.
And going to have another on a Korda maggot clip. :D
I really need to get out and do some fishing.

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,783 posts
  • LocationNever Give in, always believe in your Ambitions and Dreams for they will come true

The Hot one is supposed to be better in Winter, but I haven't found much difference. I seem to eat almost all of them anyway :? :oops: :lol:
Nick

no12

no12

• Members
  • 533 posts
Will using really smelly baits help?
Ive heard that they are usless for some reason :?

salokcinnodrog

salokcinnodrog

• Super Moderator
  • 23,783 posts

Will using really smelly baits help?
Ive heard that they are usless for some reason :?

The only way to find out is to try it!

On Rivers Smelly/Spiced Baits have accounted for loads of Big Chub, Carp and Barbel. Some Lakes are exactly the same :wink:
Nick

ozric

ozric

• Members
  • 1,041 posts
  • Location668, the neighbour of the beast

The Hot one is supposed to be better in Winter, but I haven't found much difference. I seem to eat almost all of them anyway :? :oops: :lol:

I always thought the attractant in meat baits for carp (particularly in spring when they begin to switch on) is the fat content.

But I could be talking rubbish :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users