The Essential Guide to Fishing Bivvies, Shelters, and Umbrellas
Fishing is not just about the catch; it's also about comfort and protection from the elements. This guide explores the essentials of fishing bivvies, shelters, and umbrellas, ensuring your angling adventures are as enjoyable as possible.
Understanding Fishing Bivvies and Shelters
The Importance of a Reliable Shelter
A dependable bivvy or shelter is crucial for extended fishing sessions, especially carp fishing. These structures provide a home-like setting by the water, shielding you from harsh weather conditions. Being robust and comfortable, bivvies are particularly favoured for their maximum protection capabilities.
Choosing the Right Bivvy
Selecting a suitable bivvy can be challenging, given the variety of options. Consider factors like the duration of your fishing trips, the season, and whether others will accompany you. These details significantly influence the type of shelter best suited for your needs.
Best Fishing Bivvies of the Year: Top Picks at a Glance
- Best In Class: Aqua Pioneer 100 Aquatexx EV Bivvy – Known for its superior material and solid construction.
- Best Budget 2-Man Bivvy: Fox EOS 2-Man Bivvy is a spacious option ideal for families and offers great value.
- Best for Short Sessions: Daiwa Mission Overnighter Plus Shelter – Lightweight, easy to erect, and suitable for quick fishing trips.
Each of these bivvies has unique pros and cons, such as the Trakker Tempest 150 EV's exceptional waterproofing but lack of a peak for rain diversion.
The Role of Fishing Umbrellas
Definition and Function
Fishing umbrellas are designed to keep you dry while fishing. They are light, portable, and easy to adjust. The distinction between a fishing umbrella and a brolly system is notable; the latter is more of a hybrid between a bivvy and an umbrella, offering more extensive coverage.
Essential Features to Consider
When selecting a fishing umbrella, look for:
- Waterproofing: A high PU rating indicates better waterproofing.
- Shape: The design should allow water to run off easily.
- Color: Opt for subdued colours like green or black to avoid spooking fish.
- Tilt Action: This feature allows you to adjust the umbrella against varying angles of rain and sun.
- Bison Top Tilt Fishing Umbrella: Notable for its PU-coated Nylon and adjustable ground spike.
- Ultra Fishing - 2.2m Span Fishing Umbrella: Offers rear and side protection with a multi-angle tilt function.
Choosing the right fishing bivvy, shelter, or umbrella can significantly enhance your fishing experience. By considering material, design, and functionality, you can select a product that provides comfort, protection, and convenience, turning your fishing trips into memorable and enjoyable adventures.