Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
coakleycarp

best flavours for meat ??

my local lake only allows luncheon meat/sweetcorn/pellet on the hook,and only pellets can be fed into a swim,never the less its very rare for me or anybody to blank on the venue.id still like an edge over the rest of the rods,whats the best flavours to spice up my meat ?

I used to use a few squirts of scopex on my meat. Never really improved things and made my hands stink.. Never again and im using dynamites spicy chicken, I don't know what it is but if I get a whiff i'm nearly barfing..

Curry powder but give any spicy powder a go.. Works especially well in the colder months.

Mixed spice, 5Spice or ground Allspice all work well.

I just used to cut the meat into chunks, cubes or other "nearly" shapes with the lid of the tin and shake some spices over them in a plastic bag and then drop into the freezer for when I need it. As the meat thaws it takes in the flavours of the meat.

Alternatively you could fry the meat in the spices, but I found that more trouble than it was worth.

i used to cut mine into cubes the starting mixing it around in a bowl adding icing sugar the meat "sweats" then i wud put the meat into a bag add any ground bait you like i used dynamitebaits hali hemp, but whatever you want to try really. the groundbait sticks to the meat stick it in the fridge til the next day makes the meat harder better for casting. 8)

Mild Chilli powder has worked in the past for me. Cut up tin at home, and place in a sealable sandwich bag type, pour over enough of the powder to get a decent covering without being ott, seal the bag, and give it a good shake. When you're happy how it is covered, fridge it over night, and away you go. Works well on cooler water (dawn/dusk) especially, but if the lake is shaded, might be a winner...

Pepperami in its various guises works for me.

And it's not beyond the realms of possibility to roll boilie mix very long and thin, boil it in about 1ft long lengths and take it to the lake in pepperami wrappers! (If you're not adverse to pulling a stroke anyway :wink: ). Sometimes it's more satisfying to bend the rules a little and catch under the balliff's nose!

As for feeding, I'd be putting anything in a PVA bag and lobbing it out, with some pellets as well.

If you want to try something different, try gently frying your luncheon meat etc in a few drops of black pepper oil. this will skin the meat making it more resilient to smaller fish and make it more attractive to carp too.

Guest Anonymous
And it's not beyond the realms of possibility to roll boilie mix very long and thin, boil it in about 1ft long lengths and take it to the lake in pepperami wrappers! (If you're not adverse to pulling a stroke anyway :wink: ). Sometimes it's more satisfying to bend the rules a little and catch under the balliff's nose!

As for feeding, I'd be putting anything in a PVA bag and lobbing it out, with some pellets as well.

I'm guessing you read an article by Jim Gibbinson years ago and held onto that tip too mate? :wink:

Another thing to consider is not just the flavour, but also the colour, before I discovered 'proper' carp fishing I used to catch loads of small match sized carp on the pole using coloured and flavoured meat.

Pick up a selection of food colourings and flavours at the the super market, in the home baking section...

I found that bright/bold coloured worked best (green, yellow, even blue) no idea how effective it would be for bigger fish, can't see why it wouldn't work, esp on a lake with rules such as yours...

As per the previous posters, drop the cubed meat into a plastic bag that has already had a coating of the flavour/colour and shake until all the meat has a even coating...

Avoid getting the food colouring on your fingers as much as you can as it will take a while to come off :wink:

I'm guessing you read an article by Jim Gibbinson years ago and held onto that tip too mate? :wink:

Yup, been at it a looooong time and bending the rules is almost as much fun as fishing nowadays! Had the balliff at a club wtaer in scunny stood over me chatting as I broke up "Pepperami" and PVAd it onto the hooklength a while ago. Went off immediately with a small common. "Odd" he says, "they usually don't go for meat based baits"! :twisted:

I cut the spam up into cubes then lightly fry with a tiny bit of hemp oil, garam masala, chilli powder & garlic salt. If you get it on each side of the cubes, it forms a skin that helps stop it flying off the hair. The only problem is stopping myself sitting on the bank & scoffing the lot!

Good old strawberry has caught me loads. Put the flavour into the bag, the put your cubes in- give it shake and stick it in the freezer. The process of freezing and thawing out draws the flavour into the meat more.