Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
robeuston3011

24 foot deep margin!!!

Anyone have any experience of fishing lakes with mega deep margins?

One lake I fish at the moment is 24ft deep square hole in the ground of about 20 acres, not pretty but holds big fish, with hardly any angling pressure.

The margin seems to be the place that produces for the locals but I need some help with 2 things:

1, how would you fish in this depth of water?

2, I am thinking of trickling some particle into a few spots 3 times a week - is this wise?

Thanks mate - zig seems really popular at the moment, in all the mags etc.

I have used a adjustable zig on every session so far changing depth ever hour and not had a sniff.

At the same time I have had a bottom bait that has produced 2 fish on the hottest day of the year!!

how do you typically use a zig? what depth do you reckon in this big hole in the ground!!

I've fished a very deep quarry with no margins as such and just managed to land a lead on a tiny ledge along the far side - probably 6inch max, on what is pretty much a sheer drop margin. I had a couple pretty much straight away.

I also had a couple out of the very centre of the lake which surprisingly shallowed upto about 25 - 35ft.

At the end of the day they will pick up food items from the edge walls all around the lake and still must feed in the middle in areas - we saw fizzing in two of the deepest areas - which surprised me a lot, dont know exactly how deep - wouldn't want to find out tbh - scary! :wink:

The lack of pressure makes the fishing easy imo but I find the danger side of having no shallow margin to fall into pretty frightening.

i'd be looking for tiny ledges like kevt mentions, there was one on a water i used to fish, the margins were 25ft, the ledge was 12ft down and about 2ft wide, it always produced :wink:

i'm not comfortable with very deep margins either, if i'm going to fall in i'd rather it was in water i can stand up in :wink::lol:

If there aren't any ledges and the margins drop straight down, then using a bait dropper is a handy way of getting bait down without having a big spread, especially with particles. Once you get your head round the depth you will be fine. :wink:

Take lots of maggots and go float fishing. Fish by the wall in a likely looking spot, probably the quietest area or if there are trees near the water anywhere, and see whats about. Chances are if you pleasure fish for a few hours the carp will start to come along. I would start about 6 foot and play around with it. I wouldn't worry about it being deep, just fish it like you would fish anywhere else but if there are no features then the wall is the feature, so they will feed along the bottom of that at least some of the time. Windward end or wherever you reckon food will accumulate for whatever reason. They may well go round and round the base of the wall all the time when they feed, or there may be bloodworm banks etc.. you will need to plumb around and see what the bottom is like. There is probaby one end shallower than the other due to the wind build-up (stuff blown to one end, sinks, rots/snaggy), depends how old the place is. Use something smelly as bait as the carp will have grown used to sniffing grub out due to poor visibility at depth.

Thanks for the tips fellas - will try a few of the ideas out and let you know how I get on.

Did a short session this morning on a spot next to the wall where I have trickled some particle in. Caught a nice Koi of about 8lb, an 18lb common and some slimey slabs!!

Still cant get my head round it though - the line is going straight down from the tip.

Incidentally how far away from the spot would you guys fish it? The couple of spots I have fished so far I have been about 20 yards away but I have this picture in my head of the line cutting through the water and I am getting loads of liners.

Incidentally there is no angling pressure to speak of just a few locals so potentially I could walk the rods 100 yards away or the other thing I was thinking is to have the line straight down the wall. What do you reckon?

Use flying backleads and backleads but tighten up just right so that your lines going vertical down to your backlead and across to your rig, then fish how ever far away you want, id say 20 yards minimum.