Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
carp_warrior

Hook Size to Bait Size Chart

Hello all, something I have been thinking about a lot recently is the hook size matching the bait size, a size 4 hook with a 10mm is in my mind alien to the fish, so I was wondering what you guys use, this is my chart.

Size 6 Hook - 18mm boilie

Size 8 Hook - 16mm boilie

Size 10 Hook - 10mm boilie or 2 piece's of fake corn

I don't use smaller hooks than 10 or bigger than 6.

Your ideas sound about right. I always feel the rig needs to be balanced but in saying this i have had a lot of success using a size ten with a 14-16mm bait. A size 10 won't work as effectively with an 18mm bait because the hook will be too light and the bait will have all the weight, thus preventing the hook to pull down. You need the hook to be the heaviest part of the rig in order for it to successfully pull the point down into the bottom lip. Another thing i take into account is the fish size your after. A size 10 will still be just as effective for any fish but for peace of mind i tend to use a size 8 or 6 for most of my fishing. I see a size 10 as the ideal hook for fish mid 20 to below.

The effectiveness on any rig is down to a number of factors of which I can only list a few:

1) The size of the lead in relation to the hook size (Semi-fixed set-ups).

The heavier the lead to the hook then the moe chance it has of taking a good hookhold. If you consider a 1oz lead with a size4 hook, then the hook can be lifted up on the point without it taking a proper hold. Yet try a size10 with a 4oz lead and the effect is different.

If you are not sure about the validity of that, on a table or the floor try the 2 scenarios.

2) The pressure that the fish are under and what "most" people use. Most anglers use probably size6or8 hooks, because that is what size to size ratio is publicised in magazines (probably not intentionally, but is the most common).

If you imagine that most anglers are fishing for Carp around 25lb maximum and the lakes are "day ticket" or regularly fished then an effective hooking rig will be the average that there is.

3) Bigger hooks may hold better in the mouth of a bigger fish. A size10 in the mouth of a 40 may well appear to be the same as an 18 in the mouth of a 5lb Carp. Its possible, but during the fight you may be worrying about the hook, (or its strength). A larger hook is less likely to wobble and pull or straighten out or even break. Even more is that smaller fish may well get "put off" from taking a small bait on a big hook (2 grains of corn on a size4 for example), but a big fish can and will take that same rig on that hook size, it simply has more suck and less close visual inspection.

For years I have had faith in particular hook patterns and sizes from size10 up to size4 and to be honest I don't usually worry about the bait in relation to hook size.

On Taverham I was using size8 and size6 Nailers with 15 or 18mm baits, and I took the same onto Earith and then the Reservoir, where I was fishing an 18mmbottom and a 15mm pop-up on a snowman set-up, or a single 15 or 18mm.

My current fishing is now on a pressured water with that same snowman set-up and my hook sizes range from size4 - size8.

Even on my "runs" waters I was using size6's and 8's with no worries with 15mm baits or sweetcorn, and the fish were only 20lb maximum.

Really the only time I change is when surface fishing and I want the smallest lightest hook I can get away with dropping as low as a size14 with a dog biscuit.

Compared to my Chub fishing where I quite happily use a size2 with slugs, bread, worms or luncheon meat for fish from 2 up to 6lb.