Initial adventures in Boilie making.

In the initial time period of discovering boilies and researching their recipes, I have seen an awful lot of variation.

It appears that in between the 50/50 mix of 8oz soya flour and 8oz semolina with four eggs and the other end of the spectrum with soya flour, semolina, scopex, truffles, fairyfloss and razorwire smeared with peanut butter and napalm, almost anything seems to be palatable to our finny little fishy friend.

So it may be reasonable to suspect that far from being mindless picky beings, that they have some range of personal preference.

So I elected to start with the basics and see what happens from there.

Thanks to Nail's link, I had a very simple explanation of the basic mixes which almost everything that I have come across assembles neatly around it. Never ignore the worth of foundation knowledge.

It also pays to keep a few important points in mind with what you read as well. Particularly pay attention to anything that starts with "Don't" or "Avoid".

Something like "Avoid making a sticky mixture" is worth noting. Being aware of what ingredient actually makes a mixture sticky would have made the first piece of advice slightly more useful

So after despairing at the limited range of soya flour supplies in the Canberra region, which seems to be confined to health food shops and their hefty profit margins, I ascertained that semolina seems to be almost everywhere.

Much to my surprise, the "Natura' Woolworths home brand was even cheaper than the Home brand on the other side of the aisle, so nothing in a red and white wrapper for my little carp gnocci.

A note about the soya flour. Being from a health food shop and organic, there is no pesticide used in the process. This can occasionally allow some uninvited insect protein to propagate within the heat sealed plastic container.

If you can find evidence of this before you buy your soya flour, pointing it out to the shop keeper can help you to convince them to offer it at a significant discount.

Otherwise, they'd have to throw it out...

So after collecting the basics of the first mix at http://www.fishforcarp.com/html/make%20boilies.htm I decided that they would serve as a method to experiment with. I've had some success with bread and various curry, chilli, aniseed and strawberry jam concoctions, so decided to go with some curry and something sweet.

Here's where I made my fatal decision based on "not knowing what would make a mix sticky". Admittedly previous experiments with fairy floss and my fathers hair at the age of 3 should have really given a basic indication.

100 millilitres of water, when heated can dissolve a lot of sugar in it. At least another 50 millilitres once the molecules of sugar have slipped in between the water molecules. Sugar is rather interesting that way.

Regardless, with that mixed in, the mixture started off looking reasonably good.

It's when it exceeded the point at which I could mix it with a fork that the real trouble began.

The instructions say " You will come to the time when the mix is too stiff to mix with a fork anymore. There's nothing for it now, but to get your hands messy. Slowly add more powder, a bit at a time and kneed it well into the paste with your hands. "

Note that it says "messy".

"Messy" can mean a few things.

Parts of my house undergoing renovation can be termed "Messy".

Small boy's bedrooms can be termed "messy".

Divorces can be "messy".

"Messy" for me as a descriptive term runs out of effectiveness about the time you see your first interaction between a night blind kangaroo and semi trailer demonstrating that it's "100 limited" sign is actually incredibly pessimistic.

Putting my hands into Boilie Experimental mixture #1 didn't make my hands just "messy".

I thought that parts of me had devolved back to an amoeba.

Imagine gluggy white stuff that looked something like the unwanted lovechild of wet cement and clag glue, but smelled of sweet aniseed curry. It was stickier than lesbian jelly wrestlers rubbed down with honey in the middle of summer and harder to get rid of than a neighbour who sells Amway.

Of course, you never discover this sort of thing when you've only got ONE hand covered in the stuff.

And you'll only ever do this sort of thing when you're the only person at home.

This accomplishes two things. It ensures that photos of you with John Merrick's hands will never appear on facebook, but lets you consider if you'll be permanently bonded to the tap because you've got to try and get out of this mess and have it cleaned up before anyone comes home to find the evidence.

So I decided to try and turn the tap on, in the hope that water might help dissolve the Frankenstein quicksand that was masquerading as boilie mix.

Then I had to wonder if it would clog the drain somewhere. The Plumbing Doctor has already visited once in the last six months. He performed a walletectomy. The credit card has healed but the memories still remain.

Screw it. Caustic soda will eventually eat through the boilie mix. Even if it reassembles in the pipe like that poly metal alloy T2000 in the second Terminator movie.

Hey. Caustic soda is one thing that I haven't seen turn up in a boilie recipe so far...

Luckily, water had the desired effect.

Holy water probably would have even been more effective.

Slowly but surely, I got rid of the world newest highly adhesive boilie mix off my hands and down the sink. I also managed to deposit it on the tap handle, sink edges, dish cloth, floor, saucepan handle and kettle cord.

Unfortunately, it took some time before I discovered the dish cloth was encrusted with frankenboilie mix.

I just took it outside and put it to death with the blowtorch in the driveway.

It was the kindest thing to do.

So after chipping the remains of the evidence off the kitchen taps, I decided to have another go.

This time however, the carp would have only savoury boilies. A standard mix with curry and aniseed flavour proved the basic mix was good, if not a little dry.

Trying to guess the volumetric quantity required to make a 14mm round boilie requires some experimentation. But I can recommend that a process of cutting an even sized cylinder off a sausage the size of an AA battery diameter makes rolling a ball a hell of a lot easier than trying to start with a 2mm thick shaving from a boilie dough bratwurst.

Let me tell you if you haven't already figured it out. Rolling 300 plus round baits with your hands isn't very exciting.

I rate it only slightly more exciting than finding out that the emergency roll of toilet paper has already been used.....

I'm very much looking for the next lot that will get made with the assistance of the Gardner rolling table and sizer that are on the way from the U.K as I type.

I'll feel much better about lobbing them into the lake when I haven't hand made every single one.

At least I know what to do when I run out of liquid nails again.

Trying to guess the volumetric quantity required to make a 14mm round boilie requires some experimentation. .

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sausage-Caulking-Gun-600ml-/180531502501?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item2a08841da5

Get your self something like this for making the sausages before you roll the boilies on the roller table.

A little trial and error is need to cut the nozzle to the right size to produce the correct size sausage.

Bunnings all so sell these make sure its the all aluminium heavy duty as if your dough is to firm it is somewhat difficult to force it out. Cheers.

Happy bait making.

Nails

Thanks. I did consider one of these but Gardner make a sausage rolling table that partners their boilie roller perfectly.

I was considering which one would be easier to clean, but when I saw it in action..

http://www.gardnertackle.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/pName/rolling-table/cName/bait-making-tables

the decision was made for me..

• 2 weeks later...

Get your self something like this for making the sausages before you roll the boilies on the roller table.

I got bored a few nights ago, so decided to whip up a simple 50/50 mix to test out the sequence.

(the extra egg to make up five in a 16 ounce mix makes ALL the difference)

Simple tools like a cheap electric beater vastly speed up the process and the one I have has dough hooks as well. This lets me use it far into the dark side of it's duty cycle when the mixture gets more than a brisk whisk.

Rolling the mixture into sausages takes an incredible amount of time, compared to being able to squeeze them out in a ready sized extrusion.

So nails, you're absolutely right. The sausage gun is the way to go.

Knowing the right diameter of sausage will speed up experimentation quite a bit.

I used to occasionally use a pneumatic sealant gun when I was in the military. The flow control was exceptionally good when it was adjusted to the right pressure. While I initially had thoughts of that, I realised that the difference in extrusion hole would probably make the bait come out of the nozzle fast enough to be used as a non lethal riot weapon.

While the thought of that is more than a little bit amusing, for making bait it's also impractical.

So a sausage gun will be on the list of things to look out for, unless I can devise another way out of it.