Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I have a favourite website that seems to manage to suck money out of me in a most insidious way. Small cheap cool things at ridiculous prices. Worst of all, the price includes postage anywhere in the world.

Lets just say that I can look at the tracks next to my mailbox and ascertain if I have a big or small or light and heavy parcel in there by the pattern and overlay of the wheel tracks.

When the postie bike wheel tracks are deep on the approach path to the mailbox and shallower on the departure direction, I reckon that the postman has been earning his money up to that point.

One day when I was looking through the "new arrivals" section of the aformentioned website, there appeared a portable battery powered echo sounder. My first foray into electronics in a professional capacity was with depth sounders so the improvements were interesting.

Then it occurred to me that it would be fun to point one across the lake sideways, like an early warning radar that fish were heading into the target zone. I'm not sure how well it would work, but it would be fun to try it out. It also wouldn't cost much and would be sure to raise the ire of someone.

Being able to see any movement under water would let you see if the burley was working and also give extra information as to the effectiveness of your baits.

It's much easier to decide that a particular bait isn't working if you know that there are fish actually in the area. Who knows how many baits have been discarded just because it was tried out while the carp were all off watching the Grand Final down the pub?

It was an idle thought, but running the searches through google turned up a few of the wireless fish finders. I'd seen them being used with bait boats and just assumed that was a reason that baitboats seemed prohibitively expensive.

But no. Wireless fish finders are reasonably inexpensive. So much so that for 69 dollars, I have a 50 metre version from China..

I thought that it would be hilarious to anchor one on another rod somewhere over the ground bait and see if anything was in the area.

The testing was done just outside McDonald's on Lake Tuggeranong last night. I always wondered how quickly that got deep. It's barely deep enough to allow a shopping trolley to commit suicide. It appears that they have a lemming like desire to form an artificial reef not too far offshore.

With the "fish alarm" selected I randomly tossed the sensor out into the water and watched how the bottom changed depths as I slowly wound the line in.

And the fish alarm even beeped a couple of times.

The next thing to do is to find a clearer ornamental koi water so that I can see how realistic this thing is.

I tend not to believe anything that's a measuring instrument until I can test it in a real way.

But wandering through K-mart, I noticed a small R/C boat for 20 dollars in the Toy department.....

The temptation did cross my mind..

Hmm. That's an option.

That would be these here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=GOLD+Creek&sll=-35.190435,149.084065&sspn=0.000794,0.001333&ie=UTF8&t=h&radius=0.05&split=1&rq=1&ev=zi&hq=GOLD+Creek&hnear=&ll=-35.190248,149.084229&spn=0.000794,0.001333&z=20

It also has a minimum depth of about 60 cm or so, so that might upset things.

So far, there is a problem with sealing it. If the slightest bit of water gets into it, it stops. So it is critical to ensure that the battery compartment is screwed down. The O ring supplied is just slightly fat, so gauging the level of compression with a dry o-ring is a bit iffy.

It has a squared contact patch which would normally seal on four sides when tightened all the way down. Because it binds, it distorts somewhere and lets water in when it's cast.

Once it's properly lubricated, it won't be so cantankerous to get a perfect seal and will make life easier.

I'm still tempted to tow it about with a 20 dollar boat.

Hmm. That's an option.

That would be these here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=GOLD+Creek&sll=-35.190435,149.084065&sspn=0.000794,0.001333&ie=UTF8&t=h&radius=0.05&split=1&rq=1&ev=zi&hq=GOLD+Creek&hnear=&ll=-35.190248,149.084229&spn=0.000794,0.001333&z=20

It also has a minimum depth of about 60 cm or so, so that might upset things.

So far, there is a problem with sealing it. If the slightest bit of water gets into it, it stops. So it is critical to ensure that the battery compartment is screwed down. The O ring supplied is just slightly fat, so gauging the level of compression with a dry o-ring is a bit iffy.

It has a squared contact patch which would normally seal on four sides when tightened all the way down. Because it binds, it distorts somewhere and lets water in when it's cast.

Once it's properly lubricated, it won't be so cantankerous to get a perfect seal and will make life easier.

I'm still tempted to tow it about with a 20 dollar boat.

Andy any photos of your new found gizzmo to share, keen to have a sqwizz at it.

I,am presently going the whole hog with the underwater camera approach... :idea::idea: statically placed with prebait and a small laptop note book that can record up to 83hrs of footage.

Nails

Yes that's the ones, I think they need to get some filtration on those ponds so you can see more of the Koi and their colours it is nice to go down there with half a loaf and feed them though. :D

Once you've got the right seal seated properly I've found Dow Corning high vac grease or Torr seal will stop any ingress of water.

Chris

Ah. I haven't taken any photos of it yet, but it can be seen in reasonable detail here :

http://ph.88db.com/Sports-Fitness/Hobbies-Recreation/ad-647529/

When I did the digging on it several weeks ago, I identified it as a product made by Phiradar which is of course, a chinese company. I just went back there to link you to the product sheet and .... they've got new models coming out which may be why there are so many of my model being available at cheap prices now..

Here's the new versions:

http://www.phiradar.com/en/chanpin.asp?id=1065

http://www.phiradar.com/en/chanpin.asp?id=1039

And you're doing an underwater camera too! You'll probably get results before mine is operational.

I've got most things organised for mine but haven't made the enclosure yet. I'm getting options from a plumber mate for what we can do with PVC pipe.

I decided to do a remote viewing camera with 30 metres of cable driving a 480 TVL security camera with automatic IR illumination.

It will run back to a 500 gig TIVX PVR 2230 so that I can digitise and record on the fly. (It will also let us watch digital TV or movies if we get bored.)

Along with the video cable running out to the submerged camera will be a tube to the floatation tank mounted above the main body. The tank will have holes drilled in the bottom to let in water. I will weight the camera for sinking with the balast tank empty, so by pumping air into the ballast tank with a bike pump, it will float. (and then we can pull it back in easily)

Stage one will require a manual installation, so waiders are involved.

A float (or the wireless depth sounder0 tied to the camera will let us cast to it and pull the lines so that we can drag the bait where we can see it. The sensor will let us ignore the camera until fish move close to it.

Stage two is to install motors and a battery pack so that I can run a radio control receiver (antenna hooked up to the ground of the video cable) so that we can actually drive it out like a little boat and then sink it remotely.

The motors will let us steer it to position the camera as well.

Currently the issue is the brushless speed controllers. We need reverseable ones and they're expensive. The motors are as cheap as dirt. Brushless motors will be far more resistant to water problems.

It will be fun to see what we get!

Yes that's the ones, I think they need to get some filtration on those ponds so you can see more of the Koi and their colours it is nice to go down there with half a loaf and feed them though. :D

Once you've got the right seal seated properly I've found Dow Corning high vac grease or Torr seal will stop any ingress of water.

I've never had to source o-ring grease before. Thanks for that.

I might take some test boilies and feed them to the koi. If any show preference... I'll stick to them..

I've actually considered taking a tiny carp home to put in the old fish tank for bait testing purposes..

I've never had to source o-ring grease before. Thanks for that.

Good olde vaseline.. :shock::shock: petroleum jelly is a good alternative water resistance sealer lube..I use it on my alarm boxes to keep the moisture out.

I've actually considered taking a tiny carp home to put in the old fish tank for bait testing purposes..

These little darlings.

LiberatedKoi.jpg

After spending most of the day in carp sacks, a 35min trip in a water tank and within 15 mins in my pond where back on the chew on the same bait that I caught them on....... :shock::shock::shock: My other fish will eat almost any of the concoctions that I put togther, boilies that is intended for carp.

Get a proper baitboat thats tricked out already, its worth every cent! :D

I have always wanted to fiberglass a carved blue foam boat. I've been resisting making a bait boat for some time...It can't last though.

Geeze Nails. They look rather interesting. I've not heard of any koi in any of the Canberra lakes, but if I manage to hook one, I think it's going to come home...

Here's a quick snap of the wireless fish finder with a 20 cent coin for scale.

DSC_1836%20%28Medium%29.JPG

This is demo mode

DSC_1829%20%28Medium%29.JPG

The other issue that it has is that the screen polarisation is the first thing that I've ever seen that has NOT been designed to work with polarised sunglasses. It goes totally black as it's 90 degrees to what most things normally are. Annoying...

I looked at getting an underwater CCTV for the tinny, only 169.99 UK pounds with monitor, case, battery etc.

But the cold hard truth that most of the fish I catch aren't cameraworthy, coupled with knowing I'd be seeing what I'd missed sorta killed that idea. :oops:

Google on underwater cctv and you'll find heaps.

Well, you can turn them into something else....

Some home brand petroleum jelly made all the difference with the o-ring. Enough to moisten it and the sealing surfaces completely, saw the top screw in another full half turn until it seated the bottom of the cap.

That should make a significant difference!

quote "I've not heard of any koi in any of the Canberra lakes, but if I manage to hook one, I think it's going to come home... "

They are there mate as well as seeing them I've caught a few, I had a nice white one (Platinum Ogon) from Sullivans Creek, a couple of Cha Goi types from Gungahlin and Ginninderra (the biggest was about 9.8kg from memory) but the best was a white, orange, and black mirror Koi from a water that shall remain nameless, there are a few waters that can offer some very nice surprises in the form of Koi & Goldfish around Canberra the fun is in finding them. :D

Here's the best Koi I had the pleasure of seeing slip in to the landing net.

StunningKoi012.jpg

When I get more time I'll post up some more specimens.

Chris

the best was a white, orange, and black mirror Koi from a water that shall remain nameless,

Ah, so you HAVE visited the Gold Creek ponds at night before.....

That one would be a bit too big for either of those 2 ponds, it was day light when that one took my bait by the time it was in the net the night was blacker than a gamekeepers heart out there. :shock:

Chris

the best was a white, orange, and black mirror Koi from a water that shall remain nameless,

Ah, so you HAVE visited the Gold Creek ponds at night before.....

That one would be a bit too big for either of those 2 ponds, it was day light when that one took my bait by the time it was in the net the night was blacker than a gamekeepers heart out there. :shock:

Chris

Stunning fish.. :shock: Chris any carper worth his salt would be proud to have that one in the album....... :D:D:D

Saturday gave me the first chance to use the fish finder under actual fishing conditions.

But this is how we prepped the area anyway. Google Maps let me measure to the clear point in the weeds that I wanted to target and I know the landmarks which denote the arc. So arriving early let me measure backwards from our casting point with my 100 metre tape. I think I got it from Bunnings about five years ago for 20 dollars.

Everyone needs a 100 metre tape. Particularly for those occasions when someone says "If we only knew how far..." In the twice that it's happened, I looked like the King of preparedness.

And if you're wondering how accurate the measuring thing on Google Maps is, I have used it to check precision marked international playing fields and distances at the AIS. If you can measure their 90 metre archery range and get 90.1 metres, that's enough for fishing with precision to various weed beds. Mind you, the Canberra Hockey clubs fields are all over the place in terms of measurements. Should I tell them that their fields are out of tolerance? Maybe I'll just wait until after they have some international competition just finished...

So with my Spomb and bait rods clipped, I proceeded to lob a mouth watering blend of sardines in oil, sardines in tomato sauce and creamed corn into the target area.

It was hoped that it would disperse into a tantalising mist of carp captivation.

My carpshake brings all the carp to the yard!

Judging by the way the water went yellow at the impact points, it did its job.

Does everyone look at blenders and visualise their burley in them?

Unfortunately we had a breeze that was left to right, which worked technically FOR us, but did possible have an effect. More about that later..

With that precision bombing done, I cluster bombed the radius that we intended to fish with tuna oil soaked chicken pellets.

Now, this is the first time I had been using the spomb on the clip and it does take a slightly different technique to increase it's smack down regurgitation.

It does tell you this on their website, so it's not like I'm claiming to discover this.

Basically cast, lift the rod before you get to the clip and point it upwards.

I just held the butt off the rod in one hand and let it pull the rod over horizontal.

A few underwhelming casts managed to touch down at a much flatter entry angle as the line reached the clip just before the spomb reached the water.

For something that depends on falling straight down to release, this causes a problem. Happily though, you just wind it in and cast it again.

It was on the third occasion that this happened that we got to see the spomb action up nice and close.

As I manoeuvred a dripping spomb in between our gear on the shore, I turned back to get my casting bearing and then moved backward to avoid the evil branches overhead.

My spod rod bounced just once and then I heard the spomb open.

Turning around, I saw a demonstration of the spombs very effective wet chicken pellet dispersal pattern.

It managed to distribute them through every single compartment in the top layer of my fishing buddies fishing tackle box.

I was very impressed.

My fishing buddy appeared to be somewhat less impressed. Even less so when I commented on how well it had done.

Oh well.

He elected to use bread and cheese pseudo boilies and I elected to go with corn.

I had also decided to try a jury rigged "bolt rig" to see if I could induce a run of some length. Using some 100lb braid, I locked a number 4 oval sinker between two knots in a short loop and then loop connected it to the 6lb line and hooklink.

I know that this is normally for distance fishing and truth be told, I suspected that I was undergunned in the sinker department.

But it was worth a try.

After sitting around expecting that nothing would actually happen for a while, we pretty much did nothing.. Eventually when the time had passed where I though that we should have had some kind of interest, I decided to throw out the little rubber duck sensor and poke around.

The water was a bit rough and the wind made it hard to put out with any accuracy but eventually we got to the target point and I let it drift with the wind.

I really don't think that there are depths of 4 metres and above in that particular bit of lake as I've waded it a few times when fly fishing for carp.

But on the drift to the right, off our targetted area, we got fish indications.

HA, you say. And rightly so. I'm in Canberra and it's federal election polling day. Like I'm going to be believe anything I'm told today.

So I cast out two more times and let it do the same thing.

With the same result.

We couldn't see anything that resembled dead prostitutes but there were still lots of fish sign.

That was enough for me to wind in and throw both my baits over there.

And within minutes, I got my first run. We sat there a while and watched the line spin and the bite detector warble like a chainsawed donkey.

Then I struck it and something that felt about 3 to 4 kilos had me thinking it was going to be a good day right up to the first flash of scales in the sun.

And then it was gone. Within six feet of the bank, leaving me as unfulfilled as a hooker paid with a rubber cheque.

I suspect that the escaped carp ran straight back to the others and drew straws at who would have the next go.

In the next two hours, it happened twice again.

I think I'll leave bolt rigs for heavier lines so that I can cast out a sinker which will have a chance at self setting the hook.

My fishing buddy is the king of jag. Three times now he's cast in and dropped an exposed hook into a fish.

When you think about it, if you hook a fish in the mouth and it tries to run from you, the force vectors involve try to turn it away from the direction where it can bring the most force to bear in escaping.

When you jag a fish in the tail or fin, they can power directly away. Maybe that's why jagged fish seem to put up more of a fight?

So why was our target area producing nothing and mere metres to the right of it was like preachers to a preschool?

Maybe the wind just moved things to the right?

A bait boat is looking more and more interesting...[/i]

Something that I forgot to mention. We stayed at our spot well into the darker hours because things tend to get a little more exciting from previous experience.

A makita flouro torch hung in the branches behind us provides a surprising amount of light. Ledlenser HR7 head torches take care of any other requirements but we also have some very powerful LED hand torches.

At about 7pm, a car drove down close by us and continued on. Then it stopped and reversed back. In the darkness someone got out stood by the car on the drivers side. We could also make out someone heading towards us with something on a tray.

If you're wondering WTF is going on here, then you weren't too far removed from my thoughts.

Nothing sprang to logical conclusion. My most hopeful conclusion was that we were about to be victims of a random drive-by pizza delivery.

But no.

It was young lady of Indian descent who entered our ring of light.

She asked if she could get closer to the water "for cultural reasons".

Of course, we said "Sure!" and arced up all our lighting so that she could see what she was doing.

She knelt down on the spot where the Water rats generally pop out onto the bank to see what is going on. The thought did cross my mind to see what would happen if they made an appearance right then.

But they didn't and we watched as she took a small round hollow looking object from the tray and tried to place it on the water.

Because of the wind, there were little waves about twenty centimetres high and her little construction foundered instantly and sank, much to our shared disappointment, judging from her body language.

I would have loved to have seen her complete the ritual and maybe learn about what it was for.

Such are the things that we see when lurking about the lake banks at night...

Saturday gave me the first chance to use the fish finder under actual fishing conditions.

But this is how we prepped the area anyway. Google Maps let me measure to the clear point in the weeds that I wanted to target and I know the landmarks which denote the arc. So arriving early let me measure backwards from our casting point with my 100 metre tape. I think I got it from Bunnings about five years ago for 20 dollars.

Everyone needs a 100 metre tape. Particularly for those occasions when someone says "If we only knew how far..." In the twice that it's happened, I looked like the King of preparedness.

And if you're wondering how accurate the measuring thing on Google Maps is, I have used it to check precision marked international playing fields and distances at the AIS. If you can measure their 90 metre archery range and get 90.1 metres, that's enough for fishing with precision to various weed beds. Mind you, the Canberra Hockey clubs fields are all over the place in terms of measurements. Should I tell them that their fields are out of tolerance? Maybe I'll just wait until after they have some international competition just finished...

So with my Spomb and bait rods clipped, I proceeded to lob a mouth watering blend of sardines in oil, sardines in tomato sauce and creamed corn into the target area.

It was hoped that it would disperse into a tantalising mist of carp captivation.

My carpshake brings all the carp to the yard!

Judging by the way the water went yellow at the impact points, it did its job.

Does everyone look at blenders and visualise their burley in them?

Unfortunately we had a breeze that was left to right, which worked technically FOR us, but did possible have an effect. More about that later..

With that precision bombing done, I cluster bombed the radius that we intended to fish with tuna oil soaked chicken pellets.

Now, this is the first time I had been using the spomb on the clip and it does take a slightly different technique to increase it's smack down regurgitation.

It does tell you this on their website, so it's not like I'm claiming to discover this.

Basically cast, lift the rod before you get to the clip and point it upwards.

I just held the butt off the rod in one hand and let it pull the rod over horizontal.

A few underwhelming casts managed to touch down at a much flatter entry angle as the line reached the clip just before the spomb reached the water.

For something that depends on falling straight down to release, this causes a problem. Happily though, you just wind it in and cast it again.

It was on the third occasion that this happened that we got to see the spomb action up nice and close.

As I manoeuvred a dripping spomb in between our gear on the shore, I turned back to get my casting bearing and then moved backward to avoid the evil branches overhead.

My spod rod bounced just once and then I heard the spomb open.

Turning around, I saw a demonstration of the spombs very effective wet chicken pellet dispersal pattern.

It managed to distribute them through every single compartment in the top layer of my fishing buddies fishing tackle box.

I was very impressed.

My fishing buddy appeared to be somewhat less impressed. Even less so when I commented on how well it had done.

Oh well.

He elected to use bread and cheese pseudo boilies and I elected to go with corn.

I had also decided to try a jury rigged "bolt rig" to see if I could induce a run of some length. Using some 100lb braid, I locked a number 4 oval sinker between two knots in a short loop and then loop connected it to the 6lb line and hooklink.

I know that this is normally for distance fishing and truth be told, I suspected that I was undergunned in the sinker department.

But it was worth a try.

After sitting around expecting that nothing would actually happen for a while, we pretty much did nothing.. Eventually when the time had passed where I though that we should have had some kind of interest, I decided to throw out the little rubber duck sensor and poke around.

The water was a bit rough and the wind made it hard to put out with any accuracy but eventually we got to the target point and I let it drift with the wind.

I really don't think that there are depths of 4 metres and above in that particular bit of lake as I've waded it a few times when fly fishing for carp.

But on the drift to the right, off our targetted area, we got fish indications.

HA, you say. And rightly so. I'm in Canberra and it's federal election polling day. Like I'm going to be believe anything I'm told today.

So I cast out two more times and let it do the same thing.

With the same result.

We couldn't see anything that resembled dead prostitutes but there were still lots of fish sign.

That was enough for me to wind in and throw both my baits over there.

And within minutes, I got my first run. We sat there a while and watched the line spin and the bite detector warble like a chainsawed donkey.

Then I struck it and something that felt about 3 to 4 kilos had me thinking it was going to be a good day right up to the first flash of scales in the sun.

And then it was gone. Within six feet of the bank, leaving me as unfulfilled as a hooker paid with a rubber cheque.

I suspect that the escaped carp ran straight back to the others and drew straws at who would have the next go.

In the next two hours, it happened twice again.

I think I'll leave bolt rigs for heavier lines so that I can cast out a sinker which will have a chance at self setting the hook.

My fishing buddy is the king of jag. Three times now he's cast in and dropped an exposed hook into a fish.

When you think about it, if you hook a fish in the mouth and it tries to run from you, the force vectors involve try to turn it away from the direction where it can bring the most force to bear in escaping.

When you jag a fish in the tail or fin, they can power directly away. Maybe that's why jagged fish seem to put up more of a fight?

So why was our target area producing nothing and mere metres to the right of it was like preachers to a preschool?

Maybe the wind just moved things to the right?

A bait boat is looking more and more interesting...[/i]

Lake Burley Griffin is a wind affected lake as you've found out, most of the time all is not what it seems on the surface once the wind gets up there are quite powerful currents generated below the surface which make float fishing a nightmare or nigh on impossible.

I remember taking my marker rod out for a bit of a recce a few times and finding that the surface layer and bottom layer were directly opposed, the only part of the lake that doesn't seem to suffer too much from this is the basin that has the boat hire place, that seems quite sheltered compared to the rest of the lake which is at times like fishing in a wind tunnel :lol:

Chris

It has been a little while since things have happened with the underwater CCTV project. Mainly due to the pain of not being happy with any of the screens that were available. If I'm going to get a PAL signal from the camera, I want AT LEAST the maximum PAL resolution, even if I don't have enough lines from the camera. Most of the little LCD screens have less. Screw that.

Some of you guys may have noted that netbooks are rather popular these days. They tend to have resolutions around 1200 x 800 or similar. This means that there are lots of these screens available to other manufacturers and sure enough, Vivo came to the party with one as a TV for 119 dollars. It also is very handy at 12 volts.

I couldn't resist and bought one because they have HEAPS of input options. VGA, RCA, HDMI, RGB and even USB.. To test it, we took it fishing of course. With a 7 Ampere Hour Gell Cell, it gets just over three hours of viewing movies at full volume. Then it loses sound...

Having a HD tv and watching movies on the bank while we're waiting for something to happen isn't really pukka to some people. But there's only so much time in the day if you really have to catch up on Dr Phil.. (No way in hell)

So at this point, armed with a screen, I kicked back into CCTV mode. All I had to do was make a housing. Well, the plans of doing that with PVC pipe came unstuck. You just can't do it cheaply. It ended up cheaper to buy some 80mm Delrin rod and hand it to my fishing buddy.

His contribution was to machine the hell out of it.

With 12 stainless hex bolts holding the perspex 8mm front plate against a knife edge seal, it will internally hold 30 psi with no problems. 15 psi is about 7 metres water depth and it will seal tighter than water pressure due to differential area.

I'm quite confident that we won't soak the camera. It's actually the cheapest part after the cable.

Tomorrow night it goes into my friends pool, so we'll see how that all works... or doesn't... Results will be youtubed also as a test...

As luck would have it, it floated. And the video is corrupted right at the end. I can watch it, but can't get it off the recorder! As soon as the legs were filled with lead and I took it around to my fishing buddy's place for a demo, we lost video... and some quick fault finding pointed to the lead as the culprit. When cutting it in half in disgust, we discovered it was three bare conducters, so I proposed that we try normal 240v cable instead and make up some leads. Would you believe how expensive it is to buy 30 metres of 3 core flex? So I capitulated and eventually bought a 25 metre office extension lead for 23 dollars and just cut the ends off.

The things you do just to see if you can video carp feeding...

Now that we've got a substancial cable though, we won't need to make another line to pull it in. I can just make a hole in a washer the right size, push the cable through it when it's through the screw connector and then take up the tension with a hose clamp. It might require some waders to take it out and turn it sideways, but we can just reel it back in. Unfortunately, it won't be doing any deep diving this weekend as it takes at least three days for the silicon to cure. Maybe next weekend...

Well, it all came together today. Last time I looked down from the dam wall, I could see the bottom. Today, there wasn't a chance.

But we threw the camera in anyway. Six metres from the water, with 23 metres worth of cable. At the deepest part, we couldn't touch bottom, but that was kinda expected. Would anyone like to donate a 30 metre extension cord? (just kidding)

In an hour of fooling about, looking at stuff, we did actually see things. Carp even (and some tiny transparent fish that I've never seen before.

Here is two minutes worth of what went on. I just can't wait for the water to clear up a bit..