Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
johnplumb

Camo , is it that important ?

Guest Anonymous

Nick, I'm the opposite mate as I used to use my old Berghaus olive green bergen that I bought while I was serving (the Army issued us with the equivalent of a bin bag with straps back then :D ).

I hated the fact that I had to take everything out to get stuff from the bottom so now use the Armo one which I wouldn't really want to carry far in comparison to yours but as I use a porter for most swims I'm ok.

But yes, you're spot on, the build ain't all that and the lifting straps on mine fell off when I erm..................lifted it :(

beaware This may CONTAIN COMMEN SENSE!

One thing that has just entered my mind is that if you are wearing green clothing on a bank on a lake that does not have many trees, you wont blend in as much due to your outline being visible from the cloud cover...

Have any of you anglers out there thought of wearing white clothes this will then blend in with the colour of the sky.

I also once saw in the carpology magazine that there was an article about bait boats being black. And it has been proved that you can see black bait boats and they said perhaps if they were white or even Sky blue in colour they would be less visible.

Or do people not think that far ahead, Danny Fairbrass and all the other well-known anglers that are sponsored by tackle companies. They will tell all of us anglers that you have to be camouflaged because they are the ones making money out of it and we are the suckers that listen to what rubbish they come out with.

Guest keenook

"Have any of you anglers out there thought of wearing white clothes this will then blend in with the colour of the sky.

I also once saw in the carpology magazine that there was an article about bait boats being black. And it has been proved that you can see black bait boats and they said perhaps if they were white or even Sky blue in colour they would be less visible."

You are forgeting SHADOW! As the Carp are at a lower level than the angler, even he or a bait bout will still be visable to a Carp! IMO movement and heavy foot falls spook Carp, and not colours, I have also shone a torch beam on to a Carp in the margin at night with no reaction! :o

Correct the most common colour of our skies a nice cloudy grey. Most camo is utter and total tosh in a fishing situation. Best laugh i have at shows are the idiots in head to toe realtree on a Sunday afternoon sat at the bar. I mean what do they think they look like :lol::lol:

Guest keenook
Correct the most common colour of our skies a nice cloudy grey. Most camo is utter and total tosh in a fishing situation. Best laugh i have at shows are the idiots in head to toe realtree on a Sunday afternoon sat at the bar. I mean what do they think they look like :lol::lol:

Erm.........Idiots??? :lol: Look at me I am a Carps angler and I fish for big Carps, Mungaaaaaaaaaaaaa :wink:

which is why when stalking its better to have the sun in front rather then behind.

WW2 planes were camo on top grey underneath for a reason.......so from the ground..................................................................................................................... they looked like flying herons :lol::lol:

WW2 planes were camo on top grey underneath for a reason.......so from the ground..................................................................................................................... they looked like flying herons :lol::lol:

Possibly not the best technique for putting fish at ease :wink:

really,oh,i may bin the idea of baiting up with one :roll::lol:

really,oh,i may bin the idea of baiting up with one :roll::lol:

I meant that looking like a heron was a bad idea, not a plane.

Unless you are thinking of baiting up with a heron XD

i usually borrow my mates sniper suit (ghille) and start to leopard crawl towards the lake from atleast 200m away. i then dig a shellscrape and cover this with a poncho and cam net so i am not seen by anyone. i live on hard routine for 2-3 days (cold food/drinks) observing the lake, taking detailed notes on fish movements and patterns of life etc. i then make a tactical withdrawl back to my base. (most of this is done under the cover of darkness)......

i then tip up half hour later in my clapped out merc, drive right up to the swim, and toot my horn to let all the other anglers know ive arrived, i then get out slamming all the doors and chucking all the kit on the floor, i hammer my bivvy pegs in, and test my bite alarms at least 10 times on each rod at full volume, i shout across the lake to see if the bloke on the other side has caught? (if he has, i have to laugh and call it a pastie!!! its the law) i then procede to marker float everyones swim but my own, then cast into the margins of the far bank. (the further the better). turn my radio up full blast to give the other anglers something to listen to. i start necking cans of stella but im an eco warrior so i stamp every can as many times as possible (to make them small) so they are not seen in the bushes i throw them in!!!!

i usually blank, but dont know why? cos ive bought all the latest camo gear.

can anyone help?????? :lol:

I own my fair share of camo item's, mainly because i like some of it, other bits were at the right price.

Some items such as clothing does make me feel more confidant at times though (as has been stated by Happyhammer) but on the other hand i've left work on numerous occasions in a high viz shirt and kit in the car and caught fish both of bottom and surface, now my experiances have come from non pressured waters, would it be the same on pressured waters???

I also think that blending in with your surrounding is a big part in camo items, not always necessary camo but natural colours (browns, greens and in some cases black)

:wink:

I saw similar sights at the NEC Go Fishing show. Grown men wandering around the show in full camo. I can't imagine who they were hiding from.

Ian

I must say I drive past drayton res a few times each month so pull into the car park to see whats going on,

all the new decking boards look great with anglers in full camo sat on them.

Grey concreat damn wall , wood decking treated and looks kind of yellow, but the camo must make the fish think there a shrubs along so come looking for grubs and other tasty morsells to eat

Bowza

Camo clothing is excellent if you are away for a few days, by the end of your session it still looks as clean as the day you arrived!!

As a previous post mentioned I can’t believe the amount of guys that get there camo on for the shows. Why?

i usually borrow my mates sniper suit (ghille) and start to leopard crawl towards the lake from atleast 200m away. i then dig a shellscrape and cover this with a poncho and cam net so i am not seen by anyone. i live on hard routine for 2-3 days (cold food/drinks) observing the lake, taking detailed notes on fish movements and patterns of life etc. i then make a tactical withdrawl back to my base. (most of this is done under the cover of darkness)......

i then tip up half hour later in my clapped out merc, drive right up to the swim, and toot my horn to let all the other anglers know ive arrived, i then get out slamming all the doors and chucking all the kit on the floor, i hammer my bivvy pegs in, and test my bite alarms at least 10 times on each rod at full volume, i shout across the lake to see if the bloke on the other side has caught? (if he has, i have to laugh and call it a pastie!!! its the law) i then procede to marker float everyones swim but my own, then cast into the margins of the far bank. (the further the better). turn my radio up full blast to give the other anglers something to listen to. i start necking cans of stella but im an eco warrior so i stamp every can as many times as possible (to make them small) so they are not seen in the bushes i throw them in!!!!

hahahahahahahahahaha......brilliant......sorry can't help you as I'm so well camouflaged I don't know where I am.....has anyone seen me??? :shock:

HELP :!::!::!::!:

my wife washed my camo jacket, trousers, fleece, jumper, t-shirt and trainers. hung them on the washing line and we had a frost :(

now all the leaves are turning yellow and brown, frost dammage. :evil:

is this irreversable :roll:

HELP :!::!::!::!:

my wife washed my camo jacket, trousers, fleece, jumper, t-shirt and trainers. hung them on the washing line and we had a frost :(

now all the leaves are turning yellow and brown, frost dammage. :evil:

is this irreversable :roll:

You should be alright mate, just give them a bit of water and sit them in a sunny corner. You should see the new shoots growing through by the end of March. :lol:

absolutely brilliant