Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
dale_carp

Korda?

i know alot of the korda team get there bait from the same place ive been getting mine. mark bryants baitworks. if you check baitworks website you can see the "tweets" the korda team send in. and the t shirts some of korda boys wear that say "british born and bred" thats baitworks t shirts but ive never heard baitworks mentioned once in there dvds...............

i know alot of the korda team get there bait from the same place ive been getting mine. mark bryants baitworks. if you check baitworks website you can see the "tweets" the korda team send in. and the t shirts some of korda boys wear that say "british born and bred" thats baitworks t shirts but ive never heard baitworks mentioned once in there dvds...............

I know a few of the Korda team are 'covered' by Mainline baits, and they regularly get mentioned, yet none or few of the Baitworks baits ever get mentioned.

Surely honesty is the best policy, or is it all about who pays the highest? So if Mainline give more free bait to the Korda team, then they get the mention.

I find some of the marketing and advertorial from both of the K and M companies a bit tasteless.

i know simon scott and ali hamidi are both baitworks users, its a shame really as the bait baron bryant at baitworks is part of the korda team!

Yet Ali Hamidi is openly shown in Mainline adverts!

i know simon scott and ali hamidi are both baitworks users, its a shame really as the bait baron bryant at baitworks is part of the korda team!

Yet Ali Hamidi is openly shown in Mainline adverts!

They're all marketing whores at the end of the day I think

Adam Penning @Adam_Penning

“@villaparkb6: @Adam_Penning give me a decent fishmeal to get on from the spring mate #askpenners” Baitworks Atlantic Heat @Baitworks

on face book he is sharing mainline as well so i think you will find he either has a good thing going with both of them or genuinely uses both? ont eh subject he has had a bit of a falling out with korda and probably DF, ian macmillan said to him, your to good for that, at least you dont think your some movie star. QUALITY :lol:

I have a fiew bits from korda in my tackle box, personally i like quite allot of solars end tackle, but thats just me :P

Not just you, I prefer Solar end tackle myself as well.

One thing I will say is that the Korda Marker Floats seem to be better made than the Ace ones which I found were absolutely pants.

I've not bought a marker float for years, I seem to manage to find them when people have cracked off. :wink: Makes up for me losing the occasional one :lol:8)

As for Korda lead clips, I've again got a collection that other people have lost in rigs that have been cast up trees and they haven't bothered to go retrieve the end tackle, or where I have pulled them in left in a snag, they have all been found complete with lead attached.

I honestly don't know why I keep them, but maybe its 'just in case' I ever needed a semi-fixed lead. Every one has been trimmed down on the peg, and I have also drilled holes through them so I can tie them to the hooklink swivel.

adamkitson Posted: 1st Feb 2013 16:20 Post subject: Korda, and unsafe rigs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled in someone's rig yesterday from a runs water near to me, and felt it worth a post.

I've never been one for the Korda debate. I have some of their stuff, and love it, and not others. Just a brand to me. Take it or leave it. I have no objections to DF, in fact I think the fact that he can be a bit of a wally it times makes TT watchable and enjoyable when its too wet or cold to get on the bank.

The rig I'm talking about was shocking! I mean, beyond belief! There was not one bit of it that was sensible. MASSIVE Korda lead, onto a Korda clip with the rubber pushed down so far it was never coming off, with about 4 inches of rig tubing behind it! The rig arrangement was what I recognised to be ntrap semi stiff coated, which was 5 inches longer than the rig tubing, meaning the tangle it was in was amazing! A hook, tied with a nice knot less knot and hair come next, covered with shrinking rig tubing, which hadn't been shrunk!

Really should have taken a pic, but didn't think about it until it was too late. There really was no way this was broken off on a fish, as in this water the fish aren't big enough to snap the rope thickness mainline, and there are no snags. The huge weight must have caused it to crack off on the cast, leaving this lot twisted and tangled in the lake for a fish to take.

Now,

Each of the items was Korda, to the last swivel, but each of them perfectly good and usable, including the lead clip. I've used them myself with no problems, but with the rig tied like this, it could have been ANY tackle company's stuff and it would have tangled on the cast, not caught a fish, and been unsafe. Is it korda's fault? Do they get a bad name due to this kind of use of their products?

I don't wish to offend, I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who tie amazing rigs who don't rate Korda, but could in not be a case of many incidences of user error making it a "thing" now that Korda stuff is rubbish or unsafe? I just felt a little pang of realisation when I looked at the assorted jumble of tangled Korda products, and realised why, perhapse, there is an issue.

Before the starting pistol is fired, I'm not talking about marketing strategy, cost, ethics etc. purely about the quality and usability of the products produced.

cobleyn Posted: 1st Feb 2013 16:33 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wellllll...

...this has been done to death.

But, there's nothing like a fresh discussion.

The only part I want to bring up here is the safety clips. I believe that Korda ones are inherently unsafe. the barrel is too long and anglers will push the rubber on dry and too far.

In mitigation to this, Korda guys say in lots of media outlets- there is no reason people should do this. We (Korda) talk extensively on the TV and in magazines about how to use them.

..And that for me is the problem. If you don't have sky or read the mags- its an unsafe product.

Considering their marketplace is usually new or inexperienced carp anglers- they should either produce a safe system or have very clear guidance on their packaging.

I used to use them years ago and cut the barrel down. About 3 years ago I took them to teh Ebro where I was using 6oz+ leads and had several snap on impact with teh water. On closer inspection the quality of the plastic had been degraded. I've never used them since preferring gardner ones.

There was an interesting feature in Carpology a few months back where they did an 'ejection' test on all leading safety systems. they tested each one and printed the pounds of force needed to eject the lead.

Interestingly they used the NEW korda lead clip- which performed the same as most of the the others. Read into that what you will.

ozzyakadrew Posted: 1st Feb 2013 16:44 Post subject:

I think its a case of pure user error mate, the person who had the set up probably watched Thinking tackle and took in all the info for all the bits they needed for the set up but not the bits on how to use them properly, or they could have been new to carping and not yet educated on the way rig mechanics work, I also don't think it makes a blind bit of difference what make the tackle is as a few of us have found similar things from all known makes of tackle.

ozzyakadrew Posted: 1st Feb 2013 16:44 Post subject:

I think its a case of pure user error mate, the person who had the set up probably watched Thinking tackle and took in all the info for all the bits they needed for the set up but not the bits on how to use them properly, or they could have been new to carping and not yet educated on the way rig mechanics work, I also don't think it makes a blind bit of difference what make the tackle is as a few of us have found similar things from all known makes of tackle.

I don't think it so, I have found far more Korda Lead clips that haven't ejected the lead, and far more Safezone leaders than any other, barring leadcore, that haven't ejected the rig or beads, whether fitted as per Korda instructions or not.

ozzyakadrew Posted: 1st Feb 2013 22:18 Post subject:

But could that not just be down to the popularity with newer anglers? and I am sure if you rammed any tail rubber on hard enough and dry it wont come off

cobleyn Posted: 1st Feb 2013 22:27 Post subject:

Hard and dry. Sound like a recipie for banjo damage.

chillfactor Posted: 1st Feb 2013 22:37 Post subject:

I must admit I found if you set the tail rubber at what I would call a safe distance on a korda clip you lost allot of leads on the impact with the water especially when using sticks so I stopped using them might explain why you come across them rammed on tight

adamkitson Posted: 1st Feb 2013 23:27 Post subject:

ozzyakadrew wrote:

But could that not just be down to the popularity with newer anglers? and I am sure if you rammed any tail rubber on hard enough and dry it wont come off

That was my thinking. Popular amongst new, possibly inexperienced anglers who make more mistakes. The chances of a rubbish rig with Korda stuff becomes higher.

Shame really that this kind of thing happens. I've watched thinking tackle, and no matter what you think of the guy, DF does spend plenty of time trying to explain how and why to make rigs safe. Sometimes to a fault in my opinion. I couldn't afford enough leads to use some of the set ups they feature!

Problem with some rigs is, that a while ago, it was some of the Korda staff who advocated piercing a hole through the side of a bead before attaching it onto a leader, and that has gone into print in various magazines since.

As for losing a lead, why do you need to on every take?

I can understand losing a lead if the fish weeds or snags itself up, but you DON'T have to on every take.

If a fish snags itself up, then yes, there is a case for losing the lead, if it needs to be lost, and as far as I'm concerned there are probably safer ways of losing the lead than a lead clip. Use a paperclip, or a piece of fine mono to attach the lead onto a run ring or semi-fixed bead (whatever they are called in John Roberts tackle).

If there are no snags present then that same simple run ring or bead will be able to eject the lead should you suffer a break-off.

A standard lead set-up and rig, how simple does it need be?

A run ring, sliding up and down the line, a bead or two to stop the ring damaging the hooklink knot attached to the swivel with rig on other end.

NazeingRig_zps85bf7a7d.jpg

It is seriously that simple!

This other fad, part by Korda, part by some other anglers, changing your hook, and hooklink every fish. Do you need to?

Is your hook still sharp?

Does it bring a tear to the eye if you pull it into your thumb to check the point?

If it is, and the point hasn't been turned over then use the same rig and hook.

I will make that comment, knowing that the rig above has come straight off my left hand rod; that same hook accounted for 3 20's and a double figure carp.

I will now likely change that rig. It has lasted a 4 day session, caught some good fish, and probably by the time of the next trip, there will be a spot of rust starting to appear near the knot, oh, and the line aligner is starting to straighten out.

If Korda hooks aren't good enough to use more than on one fish, then for pete's sake, bin em. Get something decent :!:

Last time in France I did 16 fish on four rigs.

Admittedly not the riggiest fish in the world. But makes you think.

...ps. The rigs were still sharp as I was tackling up to come home...but I felt compelled to bin them as I'd had a few fish on them.

Pps. I was fishing over clay, so maybe that helped to keep them sharp?

Ppps (don't think that exists...but you get my point :roll: ) I was on muggas.

pppps i like the ppppps thingy bit :wink::wink:

Last time in France I did 16 fish on four rigs.

Admittedly not the riggiest fish in the world. But makes you think.

...ps. The rigs were still sharp as I was tackling up to come home...but I felt compelled to bin them as I'd had a few fish on them.

Pps. I was fishing over clay, so maybe that helped to keep them sharp?

Ppps (don't think that exists...but you get my point :roll: ) I was on muggas.

I now use Gardner Muggas, to the exclusion of almost every other make, although I do still have a few Kamasan B175's about for the occasion I use pop-ups, and possibly a rig or 2 tied up with ESP Raptors, for an 'easy' water.

I know that trying to pull back a hook over gravel can blunt the tip, and I've not found clay or silt to often blunt a hook, although 1 water I did used to fish that was nearly all silt, I found that the hook would feel noticeably blunter after a night in the lake :shock:

I was thinking it was the silt make-up, that was corroding the point, but could possibly have been the edge of a mussel shell, yet you didn't feel anything on the retrieve, so the silt and water chemical make-up (additional minerals etc) itself was my opinion.

Maybe a separate thread required about that topic.

I've never felt comfortable with Korda hooks, they don't appear as sharp as some other makes, even if they have been condom protected.

I cast a rig out that a mate had tied at Brackens, onto a spot I had caught fish from, and didn't have a strikeable run. I changed the hook to something I knew worked (it was probably a Gardner Mugga or possibly Carp-R-Us Centurion) and had a couple more fish from the same swim.

Regarding my picture above, I wonder how much end tackle, Korda advocates would have us buy? All the junk that they recommend, yet you don't need most of it as the picture proves.

This losing the lead on the take, who has to pay for the leads that Korda staff use?

I have to buy my leads, and even if you get them for less than a quid a pop, it is money. Buy them on the cheap, Leadshed or other cheap online shop, and you have carriage to consider.

I can only get hold of so much scrap lead for a mate to make some leads for me. I still have to pay tackle shop or online prices, and if I am losing them when I miscast (and it does occasionally happen), or if a fish snags me, then I'm not always too chuffed at a few more quid dropped into the lake.

I know a lot of choice swear words came out a couple of weeks ago when I cracked off with a marker float, twice, and lost a couple of leads. That was just from casting out with the Marker rod (and shockleader), the lead link broke on one on the cast and the other just brushed up against a tree and the whole lot tangled up, breaking the lead link. One of them was a marker lead, and the other a plain straight uncoated lead. Thats enough for me to throw my toys out the pram at money being spent. (I squeak when I walk :shock::wink: )

Ok then imagine this, your stuck in a lift for a fortnight with danny fairbrass and duncan bannatyne, you have a gun but only 1 bullet, what you gonna do ??? :twisted:

Turn the gun on myself me thinks it's the only way

nope, its gotta be bannatyne EVERY time, i cannot stand that pompus up his own idiot lol

I think that korda is alright, their presenter is a bit chavy but the hybrid lead clipmis good just so long as you shave down the grips. (with the grips the lead doesnt drop properly! The underwater DVD's are epic! The only downside is that the nash leaders are marginly better!

I think that korda is alright, their presenter is a bit chavy but the hybrid lead clipmis good just so long as you shave down the grips. (with the grips the lead doesnt drop properly! The underwater DVD's are epic! The only downside is that the nash leaders are marginly better!

Why should you have to alter any item of tackle you have bought for a purpose?

If you have to change it to improve it, then it is NOT good enough in the first place. There is a difference from adapting something to cover a new situation, but when an item of tackle is designed for that situation, then it should be ready straight away.

After playing around with Lead Clips, I went back to John Roberts Beads when I needed to go back to semi-fixed leads.

you dont need to drop leads, its bull peddled by tackle company's.

Ok then imagine this, your stuck in a lift for a fortnight with danny fairbrass and duncan bannatyne, you have a gun but only 1 bullet, what you gonna do ??? :twisted:

Turn the gun on myself me thinks it's the only way

nope, its gotta be bannatyne EVERY time, i cannot stand that pompus up his own idiot lol
personally....Id give the pair of them a right old banjoing with the butt of the gun...and then shoot the first person to get upset by either ones death!! :lol::wink: