Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
carpking4

De weeding

Guest Anonymous

Vitalin works in the spring, keep balling it in and leave the rest to the birds/fish.

Failing that, two rake heads welded together, a pair of chesties, another rake (with handle) for dragging it up the bank and a good mate is the way forward.

Some would put plastic sheeting down but it's not a way I like to do it.

If you can't wade or lob a big rake to it then 80lb braid, spod rod and AI rake is the only option, but take the edges off bit by bit, don't chuck it into the middle.

I can wade out to rake it, what other options do I have to clear it???

Rake on a rope is how most do it, hard work but gets good results, rake as much weed out as poss ten feed over the raked area, this will encourage fish into the area and they will clear the bits you missed as long as the feed keeps going in! :wink:

Guest stagg

Hi carpking , about 15 years ago I took on a pool simillar to what you describe ,

A few of us made weed cutters our of used circular saw blades cot down the middle and welded to an old car spring ,

they worked well , but in a few months the weed was worse as the short roots and stems left in regrew ,

After some thought , I borrowed 2 domestic geese from a farm , fed the area required with wheat and within a month almost all was cleared .

catching the Geese back again was the hard bit , but a landing net ans some sliced bread seemed to do it ,

However the fishing took a serious dive for the rest of the year as fish became spooky ,

The sad bit was , after all our hard work a local club offered more than we could afford and wewv lost thev water ,

In hindsight , the best thing to happen as I got the chance to take on my present waters .

Finding someone to loan you a pair of geese may be difficult , if you can ,then 2 females are best ,

Hope this is some help .

Stan.

Guest stagg

Well I bet yours are Canadas , and my freezer is full with them , !!

However a pair of breeding domestic geese will deter canadas ,

I must admit they are almost as bad as cormorants , especialy the mess they leave ,

Canada geese will clear almost all the weeds and leave a water with parasitic worms ,so I see your plight ,

It has worked for me , and I do cull plenty of Canadas ,

I may take a walk up tomorrow and have a "Gander" at whats going on ,

Stan.

[ Otherwise I suppose your Goosed!!!]

Guest Anonymous

Stan, if they deter Canada geese I'll take a pair of tame ones that I can cast over the spots on my spod rod please mate, they'll come in well handy :D

Guest stagg

The eggs are a bonus HH !!!! .... One of them and half a loaf , you will need some Syrup of figs , for afters :lol:

Cheers Buddy !,

Stan.

Guest Anonymous

Stan,

These parasitic worms you mention, would they possibly cause a fish kill if the lake in question was two acres and had about 70 canada's resident?

Our local club lost most of it's fish and the blame was put on goose poo.

Guest stagg

HH , difficult to say with certainty , no doubt thread worms will do no good to whatever host the latch into .

Fish in particular would be hard to erradicate in . especialy as fish are one of the best convertareof flesh and muscle per ounce of food fed,

Dog feces are one of the biggest carriers of parasitic worms [ or should I say the owners carrying the little plastic bags!!!!]

I have seen how fish lice can pull healthy fish down , apart from being unsightly , once they take hold in a pool again difficult to erradicate .

My own opinion is overstocking is the start of any problems with any given water , Here our policy is sparcely stocked with indigenous fish , and the skillfull angler can be justly proud of a decent bag whilst learning so much .

Baits for example ........... Well I would be here all night ......... and then contradicted .

A lifetime fishing and I realise how little I have learned compared to nature .

Well HH you owe me a missed cuppa now , but , if I have helped with a reply I will settle at that .

I may go back through my old diaries and see what I can find regarding parasites and worm infestation in particular .

Even if you didnt enjoy this reply I have in recaling past experiences

Thank you , Stan.

Guest Anonymous
Stan, welcome back. This forum just got a little better!

I've missed you, mate.

Ian

Ditto that, interesting stuff Stan, thanks and if we ever meet I shall fill the kettle to the brim :wink:

HH , difficult to say with certainty , no doubt thread worms will do no good to whatever host the latch into .

Fish in particular would be hard to erradicate in . especialy as fish are one of the best convertareof flesh and muscle per ounce of food fed,

Dog feces are one of the biggest carriers of parasitic worms [ or should I say the owners carrying the little plastic bags!!!!]

I have seen how fish lice can pull healthy fish down , apart from being unsightly , once they take hold in a pool again difficult to erradicate .

My own opinion is overstocking is the start of any problems with any given water , Here our policy is sparcely stocked with indigenous fish , and the skillfull angler can be justly proud of a decent bag whilst learning so much .

Baits for example ........... Well I would be here all night ......... and then contradicted .

A lifetime fishing and I realise how little I have learned compared to nature .

Well HH you owe me a missed cuppa now , but , if I have helped with a reply I will settle at that .

I may go back through my old diaries and see what I can find regarding parasites and worm infestation in particular .

Even if you didnt enjoy this reply I have in recaling past experiences

Thank you , Stan.

Good post Stan and it runs exacxtly parallel to my thinking.

Keith