Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
carpermartin

Shockleader - Braid or Mono

I have just bought a chub snooper spod rod and chub snooper marker rod (if anyone has got them what are they like)? Will 4lb T/C be ok for a spod rod chucking a spod out?

Now to the real question. I have loaded up both my spod and marker with 25lb Suffix Gyro braid but do i need the Arma Kord 50lb shockleader (braid) or the XTRA Strong 30lb Shockleader (mono) to cushion the cast?

I have put some tape on my clips to stop them from pinging off and got myself a finger stall.

Martin

tbh i would have loaded the spod with 8-10lb mono and used a tapered shock leader. be carefull with braid on a spod rod cause it can eventually cut through the top eye believe it or not

hi, personally i think that as you are using 25lb bs braid main line there is no need for a shock leeder of any kind. but i would recommend that you use a finger stall when casting too prevent you from slicing your finger open. i have spodded often using 25lb bs braid without a shock leader and never had a crack off, even when casting distances of over 100yrds. :D

Iv got arma kord on mine seems to do the job I also have braid as a mainline I have heard about the line cutting the top ring but it hasn't happened to me yet or do I know of of it happening to enyone I know.

Even if It did happen I would just replace the the rod ring :lol:

tbh i would have loaded the spod with 8-10lb mono and used a tapered shock leader. be carefull with braid on a spod rod cause it can eventually cut through the top eye believe it or not

I'm with Gaz on this one. I use 10lb sensor mono on the spool and 25ft of 25lb arma cord as a leader. Job done 8)

I'm one of the people who have had braid cut through the top and butt eyes of a spod rod when using braid with a shockleader. For the cost of replacing the 2 guides that had gone, with decent rings, and having to do the whole lot to match them up, it was actually cheaper to buy a replacement rod (Secondhand Century Big Bertha).

I've gone back to mono and a shockleader made up from 60lb Greased Weasel, Grey version.

When you use a braid you need to use approximately 20lbs per ounce of loading to reduce or prevent crack-offs. Now bear in mind a loaded spod can weigh about 8ozs or more; that means a 160lb Braided leader.

It scares the heck out of me someone who tries to cast without a leader when spodding, a crack-off with a standard lead can travel 4or5 times as far as a normal cast; imagine the mess that that makes if it hit anything, and people have been injured from it :!:

When casting with braid (spodding), its normally not having the clutch set tight enough that causes problems, and as you load the rod up with finger on line ready to cast, the clutch slips leading to a very sore finger tip for a day or two. A Finger stall is a sensible choice.

Due to braid having near zero stretch, it makes a very poor shock absorber, so some sort of leader will be needed. :wink: