Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
bowza

Removal of River fish

Hi

strange one this that I did not know,

it is not against the law to remove fish to eat from the rivers in England and wales,

what is the allowed amount per day, is it quantity or weight restricted,

how this came about , three youths catching and killing fish on the river nene at the back of beckets park near the old avon building, I thought thats not right so called the enviroment agancy, and was told as long is not excessive there is nothing wrong and are allowed to do it,

ok I can kind of understand, but what it they got lucky and caught a prize Pike carp or some other wonderful old specimen,

bah frustrated

Bowza

X2 fish per day...

Worse is the Swans that are being killed daily by you know who, 15 dead swans found dead in the Star yesterday :cry:

They have an encampment just outside Peterborough and regularly kill swans...

I always thought the killing of Swans was illeagal as they are birds of the Crown? :?

It is mate but you can get special dispensation from the Queen, the actress Hellen Mirren did this for her wedding...

Have a look here,

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/119393.aspx

I I didn't realise the full extent of what can be 'taken' :shock:

IM VERY SHOCKED AND ANGRY. I HAD NO IDEA YOU COULD TAKE THOSE SPECIES OF FISH.

I CAUGHT 2 EASTERN EUROPEONS A FEW YEARS AGO ON MY LOCAL RIVER WITH TWO SMALL PIKE. I ASKED THEM WHAT THEY WERE DOING AND PICKED UP THE DEAD PIKE AND THROUGH THEM BACK INTO THE RIVER IN ANGER.

IM VERY SHOCKED TO HAVE JUST READ THAT THEY CAN DO THIS, SURELY WE NEED TO STOP THIS.

[.

I CAUGHT 2 EASTERN EUROPEONS A FEW YEARS AGO ON MY LOCAL RIVER WITH TWO SMALL PIKE. I ASKED THEM WHAT THEY WERE DOING AND PICKED UP THE DEAD PIKE AND THROUGH THEM BACK INTO THE RIVER IN ANGER.

IM VERY SHOCKED TO HAVE JUST READ THAT THEY CAN DO THIS, SURELY WE NEED TO STOP THIS.

so the pike went to waste :roll: at least if they ate them the was a point to their death :evil:

what is shocking is the amount of anglers that dont know the law,its only about 3 years since the cards came out,before that it said on the back that 2 a day could be taken from non private waters.......is this sign that they dont bother with licenses????

not that long ago it even asked to kill zander.....they were just left to die on the banks by many british anglers :roll:

the EA stock the rivers,so i think that gives them the right to say what happens to their stock.....now on privately run waters thats down to the management, if its carp then i dont know of any that will allow them to be taken......trout lake its fine..........is a fish not just a fish???what makes one different to the other??

:? im not their accountant :lol:

i think they were thinking all us catch and release guys wouldnt bother but aloud the law for the few that would. i can see the being a big problem if we all took 2 a day every sess though :shock:

:? im not their accountant :lol:

i think they were thinking all us catch and release guys wouldnt bother but aloud the law for the few that would. i can see the being a big problem if we all took 2 a day every sess though :shock:

that wasn't directly aimed at you beanz just throwing it out there

:wink: .......nice line though :lol:

so if i were to fish the river every day and take the allotted catch home the price of the licence would cover the restocking of them?????

The thing is this has always been the law and it isn't really a problem. I don't think many people fancy chomping their wasy through 15 20cm Bream every night!

By limiting the size of pike that can be taken they heve protected the larger females so the fish taken will be replaced by the next years spawning.

Reading the rules it looks like only carp under 20cms can be taken, which seems reasonable. You would be hard pushed to catch a fish that small so there won't be anyone targetting them.

Not so impressed by the fact that you can take any size of koi or ghost carp out though. They will certainly be easier to target.

I've heard it said that allowing the taking of fish for food also gives carp/coarse fishing more leverage against the anti-fishing brigade. Non fishing people really don't understand catching a fish just to let it go again. By technically allowing the taking of fish it can be seen much more like the ancient right of the people to fish for food. Not many people take it to excess so I don't see the problem.

This is all fair and dandy if peep's follow the rules but I'm afraid our friends from the east do not...Just another case of Britain being a soft touch :(

This is all fair and dandy if peep's follow the rules but I'm afraid our friends from the east do not...Just another case of Britain being a soft touch :(

Well, in Eastern Europe it is perfectly legal for anyone to take as much fish for the table as you like. In this country there are limits, the same limits for everyone. Anyone caught taking more will be subject to the same penalties. I don't see how this makes us a soft touch. It's not like they come over here to take fish because in their own country they are not allowed.

The gist seems to be "They come over here and break the law and get away with it, so they are bad people". But I have seen numerous threads here where people are quite open about their own illegal fishing, and very few people standing up to condemn them.

On the other hand, have you ever eaten freshwater fish? it is revolting. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat it, but if they do, and keep to the limits, and the fish do not "belong" to anyone, then good luck to them.

Otters, mink, cormorants,herons, kingfishers, grebes, pike, perch, chub all take fish to eat on a daily basis, so really a few humans taking fish is not a big issue.

so really a few humans taking fish is not a big issue.

But in reality there isnt just a few, is there??

I work with a lot of Polish guys, and a few from other eastern european countries, and having chatted to them several times about this subject I have yet to meet a single one who goes fishing in fresh water for food. They like their carp at Christmas, but it is small fish they are looking for (about 2-3 lb) and properly prepared - not dragged straight out of the local muddy pond and slapped onto the grill.

I may well be wrong, but my own experience suggests a lot of hysteria, same attitude as "they come here and take our jobs".

Well, in Eastern Europe it is perfectly legal for anyone to take as much fish for the table as you like. In this country there are limits, the same limits for everyone. Anyone caught taking more will be subject to the same penalties. I don't see how this makes us a soft touch. It's not like they come over here to take fish because in their own country they are not allowed.

The gist seems to be "They come over here and break the law and get away with it, so they are bad people". But I have seen numerous threads here where people are quite open about their own illegal fishing, and very few people standing up to condemn them.

On the other hand, have you ever eaten freshwater fish? it is revolting. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat it, but if they do, and keep to the limits, and the fish do not "belong" to anyone, then good luck to them.

Otters, mink, cormorants,herons, kingfishers, grebes, pike, perch, chub all take fish to eat on a daily basis, so really a few humans taking fish is not a big issue.

What I meant about Britain being a soft touch is...That if "anyone" is caught taking more fish than is legal,It is highly unlikely "anyone" will be subject to penalties/procecution...

Well thanks for the info

These people did not look like they had either a licence or regard for how many they caught to take away,

Bowza

How does someone look that doesnt have a licence?

Im lucky enough to work with the canal running alongside our yard and the river being two feilds away, and through the summer mainly, we have "people" fishing them both on a regular basis.....:wink:

It may well be because I live close to the sea that I don't see this so much. Perhaps if you live further from the coast, catching freshwater fish for the table is more appealing.