Fishing With Meat and boilie Problem

sterry

Hi All,

Im fishing a new venue which has good stock of carp but is more of a match pool then anything else, iv spoken to a few regulars they say the best catches are down the side with Meat , i had none on me so i did it with sweetcorn and pulled out couple low doubles.

My question is when using Meat as a hookbait which is best way to use it to attract bigger carp and what would you advise to bait up with would i use pellets, smaller pieces of meat etcetc.

Another issue im having we really is annoying me , i never ever ever ever catch on boilies ? i normally use 15mm source boilie put a artifical corn or avid bright stop on them or snowman set up it is rarely i ever catch on these what ever venue im at its always sweetcorn is it because the types of venue im fishing or am i just a divy and doing something wrong haha.

Thanks !

Well thats what i have been doing , but i just find it strange when i fish same venues with my friends they using boilies and seem to be catching on average larger fish i keep getting odd Small double but then being pestered by small bream,

Is their any way to use meat / sweetcorn to attract larger carp i am also would like to know what to bait up withwhen using these ?

The thing with boilies is that they are convenient, fashionable and fairly easy to use. A possible reason why your mates are catching bigger fish is that they aren't putting as much bait around the boilie hookbait. That fed area of yours is great at attracting bream and smaller shoal fish (including carp), whereas the larger fish tend to be solitary feeders.

You're fishing a "match" pool so the bigger carp will almost certainly eating the baits that are going in, be it sweetcorn, luncheon meat, maggots etc. As baits they will catch fish (as you have proved), however the larger fish may take a while to move over those baits as the smaller fish get there first especially if you are "heavy" baiting over that hookbait. Simply try those larger baits slightly away from your baited area. A PVA bag of feed is often better than a spodded or catapulted in pile of bait :wink:

Or if you do like to feed plenty you can increase the hookbait size, a quarter of tin piece of luncheon meat is unlikely to be able to be taken by smaller fish, even if they attempt to whittle it down.

Well the way i am fishing it is either using meat as hookbait or fake pop up corn with real corn on the hair rig and put small pva bag of sweetcorn, groundbait, meat and hemp all together ... it works iv proved that but generally smaller carp around the 10lb mark ... but their is a koi carp in their which im dieing to have be trying to locate it , iv spoken to locals it was out last year waying 25lb immaculate looking fish by the picture.

Big carp are TOUGH to catch mate. You just have to put in lots of hours..

Try to stick with boilies if you want.. but change recipe.. If mainline aren't working, try a totally new bait.. Why not make your own?

There are loads of recipes on the big sites.. some of them are cheap/simple..

Solar had a great one years ago..

It was Quench mix, add eggs.

That was it! How cool is that!

I am part of the 'washed out' boilies brigade (along with Bill Cottam of nutrabaits).

Washed out/weaker boilies make the carp think they've been there longer, and are therefore safe to munch.

I am an avid boilie user, and think they work anywhere..

I don't think meat is good for fish/or lakes themselves, and corn, for me in my water, is just a recipe for a big match weight of bream.

Boilies are more waiting around.. but it's up to you to change their shape, change your bait around, change the tactics, and find out where that big Koi lives and what's on his mind breakfast wise etc!

Try method feeding (I mould method balls round a big stonze (drilled stone weight) from pallatrax..

Try flourocarbon hooklinks, n' a blowback rig.. (good for big, wary carp as it's hard to eject).

Chopped boilies in a good method mix, and a hard hooker on.. Also, try hitting bleeps.. big carp have often learnt not to run..

Some carp have learnt not to be caught AT ALL, but that's all part of the fun for me.. I just enjoy bein there.

Ted

i usually fish using blowback rig normally only boilies i use are source boilies or dynamite bait chocolate and tiger nut boilies , i do have some high viz pop ups aswell , when i set up a snowman rig , i have been told by all people i have spoken to the koi is by the overflow wall (when top pool floods drops into the lower pool ) majority of my catches have been on side of it aswell so im going to try a different presentation this sunday when itry again hopefully ill come back with a good report !

Good luck mate..

Tried fluorocarbon yet?

Remember to hang well back from the edge and be mega quiet..

I'm obsessed with quiet.. I treat every swim as if I'm stalking, and creep about the place.. it aint noise as such that's the problem, it's vibration.. try and plop the lead in real gently/use as light as you dare!

Hope this helps!

i usually fish using blowback rig normally only boilies i use are source boilies or dynamite bait chocolate and tiger nut boilies , i do have some high viz pop ups aswell , when i set up a snowman rig , i have been told by all people i have spoken to the koi is by the overflow wall (when top pool floods drops into the lower pool ) majority of my catches have been on side of it aswell so im going to try a different presentation this sunday when itry again hopefully ill come back with a good report !

Here is a tip for you, the baits you are using may well not be baits that are particularly nutritional, although The Source should be from Terry Hearns results, but I know a few people who could NOT get it to work over better nutritional value baits or baits that were fished more heavily (and prebaited).

As a result you may be getting to the smaller fish first. I did say that a large bed of pellets, groundbait or particles may be attracting the bream and smaller carp and your post

Well the way i am fishing it is either using meat as hookbait or fake pop up corn with real corn on the hair rig and put small pva bag of sweetcorn, groundbait, meat and hemp all together ... it works iv proved that but generally smaller carp around the 10lb mark ... but their is a koi carp in their which im dieing to have be trying to locate it , iv spoken to locals it was out last year waying 25lb immaculate looking fish by the picture
seems to justify what I said

Larger fish or even older wiser fish often feed more by nutrition requirements than by sight, whereas smaller fish tend to be more sight feeders :wink:

Do you have any bait recomendations then ?

I can give you the "sponsored" anglers view of Bait and Feed Co, Smokey Mackeral, Smokey Bacon, and also the honest answer of other baits I have used and bought before being lucky :wink: , Big Fish Mix, Trigga, Enervite.

I can't convince myself of the Mainline baits, I know some are very effective, but I have not had much experience in their use (one or two trips on "Mainline Dominated" waters) or other companies for those reasons

again, the conversation has drifted to boilies? you have said meat and corn works? well if the fish are under your feet, then i'd get a couple of tins of meat and push them through a maggot riddle, then mix it with dry trout pellet powder. this can be used as a stick mix or just balled in over your spot. then fish a huge lump of meat on the hair, (1/4 or 1/2 a can!) large carp have large mouths, i once fished a water where we made our pop ups wrapped around 1/2 a wine cork!!! :shock::shock: that was a big ole pop up as i'm sure you can imagine - they worked as the bigger fish could still get their lips around it. you can get flavoured "fishing meats" to ring the changes.

if you wanna use boilies - and why not? they are the dogs after all, you said your mates are catching on boilies - so what are they doing that your not, different rigs? different boilies? different strategies? - ask them pal, thats how we learn and adapt.

incedentially - i found the dynamite soaked pop ups much better than bottom baits?!!?

good luck mate

ouchthathurt :roll:

me and my mate fish basically same set up on this venue only differnce is baits ! , i like to use artificial corn with pva bag of groundbait corn pellets several different combinations which i feel confident with.

I think why i struggle/dont use boilies as often is because im not sure what to bait up with whats good mixto shove in abag

• 3 weeks later...

hi mate

you could try running a tin of meat through a sive so you get a mince like mush, then mix it with a powder like maize flour or add it to ground bait,

adding a blade of grass between the bend of the hook and the meat helps keep the meat on as long as your not casting to the moon, if not fox do a meat kit,,

with the boillie problem that could be a number of reason , the transfer of smells from your hand to the bait. the bait to near the hook, is the bait to big, its hard to say. have you spoke to your friends thats are catching? cheek out there rigs if yo have to. use a bait that get uesd a lot on the water you fish

hi mate

you could try running a tin of meat through a sive so you get a mince like mush, then mix it with a powder like maize flour or add it to ground bait,

adding a blade of grass between the bend of the hook and the meat helps keep the meat on as long as your not casting to the moon, if not fox do a meat kit,,

with the boillie problem that could be a number of reason , the transfer of smells from your hand to the bait. the bait to near the hook, is the bait to big, its hard to say. have you spoke to your friends thats are catching? cheek out there rigs if yo have to. use a bait that get used a lot on the water you fish

Haha are you saying my hands smell? no thanks for all advice i have been pre-baiting with maggots then tied 20-25 maggots onto bait floss that method and iv been having less nuisance fish as their called its has not improved my catch rate but has increased the average size of fish !!!