Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Guest keenook

Runs waters..................

Good for a blow out when the goings tough! good for socials with a few mates,as you can relax abit. Hate 90% of the people that fish them more than the fact its a runs water,if you want an easy session go to one,if you dont,go somewhere else! simples

Neither. They meet a need for most carpers at some point, myself included. I have the patience to sit for hours/days/weeks on end without a bite. I don't think i could do this if i hadn't fished commercials. I had reached the point where i needed a challenge & to escape the day ticket brigade. I still do the odd session on runs water, but it's more about nostalgia than bagging up.

Good for trying new bait/rigs on, so you aint sat behind your rods wasteing time and effort on your priority water"s", and as said above for abit of a catch up between freind and still have the chance of a fish or two, personaly though they are just holes in the ground with very little to look at, although on some the wildlife is quite freindly and tamer which can be nice (unless its the rats :twisted: ) also, i think there good places to get beginners hooked on fishing.

Again as has been said, not to keen on the type of people that are drawn to some of these lakes, and most lakes are there for profit only with no fish care enforced, especially on matches which are held on these waters most weeks.

:wink:

I'm live and let live. If folks want to go and catch 10 fish a day- good luck to them. Some of my best days fishing have been with a feeder and quivertip and it getting dragged around every chuck in.

Specimen hunting (of any kind- Chub, Barbel, Tench, carp etc) is a different matter. Its tricking a specific quarry that has no reason to pick up your bait.

- What do we consider a runs water though? Does it have to be a commercial/match water like Drayton or earleswood, or would we consider the artificially high stock levels of a Linear fishery make it a 'runs water'. Sorry I may be getting off topic with that comment.

That's not a slur on anyone who does fish waters like this by the way. Good luck to you-nothing wrong with fishing these kinds of lakes at all.

Ok now and again but i'm all about ambiance quite a few runs waters are pretty souless places,I'd rather be in nice surroundings and maybe not catch at all...

Guest keenook

Fantastic answers up to now! The reason of my post is that when I started "carp angling" there were very few "runs" waters, In fact I only knew of one, and that was Chilham Castle in Kent!

However I believed my progression ( if that is the correct term ) from Tench to Carp led me on the path of larger fish! And in that time Carp were indeed scarce! OK there were waters that contained 30+ lbs monsters, but very few and far between! The normal water would be a mixed fishery with a few Carp, now this was fun, and many landed Tench proved the point! But I started Carp angling to feel and catch these monsters of power, I had caught Tench to 8lbs but wanted more, and it had to be a Carp! And a good one too, as it took me a week session before I realised my dream!

As Stoogi knows 5 fish a year is a runs water to me lol. I can understand the need for them and that some people like to get a few bites but they do nothing for me at all, i would rather stick pins in my eyes. Just planning my summer campaign at the moment for a serious bash at the river Severn carp up on the middle river, thats my sort of fishing not sat next to a carp puddle.

I feel without them a lot of people would gain no experiance whatsoever befor going to catch thier first "30" they also cater for people who just like fishing and are more than happy to go fishing and put a few on the bank regardless of size and they will do that for the rest of their life . Runs waters don't bother me it's some of the people i have a problem with .

They done me ok for cuting my teeth into carping, I am very lucky in my part of the country to have many choices very close by

the out of summer season on my closest lake is best of both worlds, very picturesque but a blank is rare so I would class it a runs water,

But there are those target fish available that last year I hooked one and lost, and this year ill be back on em, if I get past the smaller fish Ill be happy with one or two of the old girls for the hole year

Drayton , is a mad place, I will fish their as its easy to take friends to, but you get some right loud people there, also the fishing is weird , I was asking a guy on sunday how was it fishing he said ok had a few to 19lb, wind was blowing a gale and rain was falling, funny thing is he said the young lad next few pegs along had a pike take his weight and hooklink while retrieving, he landed the thing also, so deffo a runs water but not for the specimen relaxing carp angler

Bowza

I went to a runs water last weekend just because i hadnt had a fish for ages (october in fact).

I had 22 or 23 fish out up to just under 18lb and was quite enjoyable just to see fish and i had the chance to mess around with a few rig ideas ive cum up with to see what they fished like.

But on the other hand theres nothing like sitting behind ur rods on a water that contains some big lumps knowing that any run you get could be a PB. I much prefer this fishing and having to work hard to get that bite, much more enjoyable than a runs imo.

ok for a day session if you want to bank a few after a few blanks,i find the general run of fish are the same sort of size [low to mid doubles]. i hate getting up at night when you have a good idea of the size of the fish before you get to your rods.

i would rather fish a low stocked venue and have to work for runs,probably because the lake i grew up on in the 80's was low stock and if you had 8 or 9 runs a season you had a good year.

At this stage in my life I like a mix as my time on the bank has got less and less over the last 12 months.

I used to fish big waters with low stock (85 acres with 80 known fish), I now fish a couple of runs waters on day tickets and a syndicate where you have to work for a bite but not massive size wise and a fairly healthy stock level (20 acres with 150+ fish).

Her in doors takes up most of my spare time now so I really only get out twice a month :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Not for me anymore, in fact in the early days there weren't as many carp waters and nowadays I'm fussy about my fish and surroundings.

They do play an important part for newcomers though, learning to handle carp is one of them so I'd encourage people onto them.

I just wouldn't get a thrill out of knowing the next fish was the last one's twin

The majority of my fishing is now mostly for big fish on lower stocked waters but every now and again I used to use a locally club run runs water to get a bend in the rod when I had been struggling, and to experiment with terminal tackle and bait.

Not all "Runs Waters" are the overstocked horrible commercial fishery that we all love to hate.

This little lake was about 2 acres, quite picturesque and surrounded by woodland. The fish ran from singles up to top weight of 20lbs.

I like to be fairly confident of catching in a session, so the waters I fish would be classed as runs waters by some. I avoid commercials which are heavily fished by drongo's, where the fish are deformed etc. but am quite happy on a well stocked pond in nice surroundings.

I do not have the time to dedicate weekends to fishing (maybe 1 weekend a year, but certainly not much more), so I am restricted to day sessions. If I want to catch, it needs to be on a fairly easy water.

Guest keenook
what would you class a runs water?

a lake where you get the odd one or two a day or somewhere where you catch 10 fish a day?

One or two fish per day guaranteed or even over a 24 hrs session, would be a runs water to me.

one of the lakes i fish you could guarantee a few fish a day if you get a good swim, on the lake i fish most of the time you are lucky to get a fish during the day, but on a night session, in the right swim you will most likely catch but depends on the time of year

Guest keenook

That's a runs water then, Don't get me wrong I have caught two Carp in a 48hrs sesh, but that was 3 months after my previous take! :shock:

ok one of the lakes i fish is a runs water, but the second one not sure, even in the summer most people who have never fished the lake before will not catch on 24 hours, but me being a regular would most likely catch in the summer as i know the tactics and rigs ect, but this time of year and in the spring only a few anglers catch, in the summer for 24 hours this might be classed as a runs water to some of you but can be difficult at times

runs waters are all things to all people, some of the largest fish ive caught, (30lb+) have been from runs waters, being in the army, i fond myself away a lot, so when i do get the opportunity for a sesh, i wanna have a chance of catching something. however, some commercial waters really are souless and i find myself paying my 20quid or whatever for 24hrs and not enjoying it, i then end up on my "hush hush" free lake which is tricky at the best of times, where i do not have the chance to "retune" into a lake and therefore have to really graft for a fish. so although catching a carp when really pressed for time is satisfying, i know that i could do a hell of a lot better if i worked the "9-5" job, then i would have more opportunities to get the rods out, for instance this season, i,ve been carp fishing approx 5times. i've hd a few fish, but having said that, i've only fished for approx 32hrs this year! the length of most weekend sessions... so yesh, although runs waters are sometimes souless places with what can be regarded as little effort or skill necessary, for guys and gals like me, they can be my only salvation when my fishing sessions can be only a few hours long and counted on one hand.

:roll:

i tend to fish run`s water`s all the time now due to a bad accident my session fishing and night fishing day`s are long gone but i still want to get out there to catch fish a few hours (which is all i can manage now) on a pond where i know i can catch 3 or 4 is all i want size mean`s nothing to me anymore

I do think it's unhealthy to measure carping success on how few carp an angler manages to catch in any one season. I cut my teeth on canal carp, which - although modest sized - are as far away from "runs carp" as anyone could imagine! But now, having no transport except a bike, and being a fat middle-aged puffer, I have to fish pretty close to home, and that usually means modest-sized carp on runs waters. However, the fishing can be interesting in that some runs waters hold big carp and these big carp are not being caught. For example, I've found one pond, near my home - fished it once and caught 20 smallish carp in seven hours - to just under double figures. Oh hum! Well, yes - but you should have seen the few big commons that were cruising in the middle! Now, within a few weeks, I'll be back with a cunning zig rig to see what I can do and, if I'm fortunate, to put a weight on those fish. You see, that particular pool - stocked back in the early eighties and only then - attracts pole anglers and match anglers and crust flingers...but who tries the modern approach for carp? You see my point? So a runs water, sometimes, can offer pioneering specimen hunting - well, that's the plan, in any case! I'm a huge fan of carping history, and it's a fact that runs waters have always been there - read Walker and Ingham in "Drop me a Line", on Croxby Pond.. read Ingham in "Woldale" concerning that pool - it was where the Carp Catchers' Club went to catch fish to order, and try out new ideas - in other words, it was a runs water. Redmire, in the Seventies, was a runs water to Kevin Clifford!

Seriously, I would dearly love to find an isolated pool with a few massive, uncaught carp - but that's just not my life just now. As it is, I must try to catch big, uncaught carp from day ticket waters. I'll let you know how I get on!