Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
uscarpman

whats your favorite type of reel

currenty using shimano baitrunners - all the models are pretty good. did used to use diawa 4500s - a youngster on this forum actually posted to tll me i was not a real carp angler as i didnt use baitrunners!! my PB was over 30lb, i held several lake records and i was fishing wraysbury 1, the former home of mary the old british record, yet as i was not using baitrunners so i was not a real carp angler???

lucky i've rectified that now eh???

ouchthathurt :roll:

Daiwa Sportmatics for my carp fishing (and pike on large rivers, lakes) (currently looking at some new ones though as these are getting abit old and rattly)

Shimano GTE-B's for my barbel, bream and tench fishing (and pike if fishing the smaller river)

Shakespeare Mach 1 for float/course fishing (not used much and lost my last reel :( )

And i have a Centre pin that i used when in the mood for some traditional style fishing, used for all of above apart from pike, cant remember make though, i will update when i get to it...

:wink:

There's nothing out there that ticks all the boxes for me.

Shimano 10000xte: Like the rear drag and baitrunner but the spool is too small.

Big pits: Too big, don't like front drag and most don't have a bait runner, those that do are far too heavy.

Would like: A bigger version of the shimano br. spool about 50% bigger than 10000xte, rear drag and made of light weight carbon composite....have been wanting/waiting for this for the last 20 years!!!

iv had a few reels over the years ,most have been cheap nasty things till i got a a regal,for the notes they were amazing,since iv had the regal big pits and now shimmy baby pits.

the all time best reels though............have always been the screaming reels :D

My Adcock Stanton pin

Love your thinking. I have an old wooden centrepin, inherited from my Dad. Small diameter, not wonderfully efficient but an heirloom which I watched my Dad use to land a large Rainbow Trout from our local River Blythe. I've had some good fish from the River Alne using this,

To this end I recently bought a Marco Cortesi Signature pin. £30-00 and as free-running as anyone could reasonably hope. It appears well made, time will tell, of course.

Ian

Guest Anonymous

Ian, I've also got an Okuma Aventa pro which is a "now" pin but I love it, even modern versions are a joy

Ian, I've also got an Okuma Aventa pro which is a "now" pin but I love it, even modern versions are a joy

Stew, what I love about the use of a centrepin is the fact that, during the play/retrieve, your finger is the clutch and every movement and action of your quarry is transmitted directly to that finger.

No gears, clutches or other mechanical devices to numb the feelings. Jez is also a fan of the pin. Mind you, he should be. You can very nearly see the River Severn from his house. Hate him? Of course.

Ian

i live within five minutes of the river stour at blandford weir. above the weir, its slow to moderate flow, with chub/bream and a good number of carp, below the weir its fast and shallow with trout/chub/grayling and the odd barbel, and its free... the carp are moderately difficult to catch so you need to put some effort in, however you dont mind racking up the blanks when your not paying for the pleasure...

ouchthathurt :roll: