Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
papabill

violent takes on a bite alarm, BRILLIANT!

whats with the mat?

are you releasing them????

dizza1993 1 week ago

@dizza1993

Why would I release them???

I sell koi carp for sashimi and to fish&chips shops.

I use mat because don't want them to loose a single scale as they are considered a delicacy when deep fried...

:x

whats with the mat?

dizza1993 1 week ago

@dizza1993

I use mat because don't want them to loose a single scale as they are considered a delicacy when deep fried...

sad i know mate, but thats just what they do in Australia :cry:

whats with the mat?

dizza1993 1 week ago

@dizza1993

Thing is you've got to understand King carp are an invasive alien species to Oz and they are quite literally destroying many fragile ecosysyems, same in NZ where its common practice to shoot any carp found in rivers.

No different to signal crayfish really, just your perception...

Ask an American (USA) about Silver carp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_carp#In_North_America

Ignoring all the rights and wrongs on the video, it certainly got me chomping at the bit for a new year of carping. :)

whats with the mat?

dizza1993 1 week ago

@dizza1993

From the NSW Industry and Investment website (think agriculture and fisheries)

Common carp are one of Australia’s most despised introduced freshwater fish and have been implicated in the degradation of inland river systems. Although present in Australia for ~150 years, carp did not become a recognised pest until the appearance of the European Boolarra strain in the 1960s. Following colonisation of the Murray River, and aided by widespread flooding in 1974, carp populations rapidly spread throughout the Murray-Darling Basin and established populations in all states except the Northern Territory. Although commercial, anecdotal and some scientific data suggest that carp populations have since declined in many areas, the species continues to spread and invade new waterways. Numerous forums and workshops have been held to develop and progress potential carp control solutions. However, most assessments of potential control alternatives have failed to provide an effective means of managing the problem. These have included assessments of over-harvest, trapping, poisoning, exclusion, bio-controls, biotechnologies and habitat manipulation.

Over the last few years, at least four initiatives have begun to show some promise. These are: the Tasmanian Carp Management Program based on physical removal activities, carp separation devices which can remove carp as they migrate through fishways, a novel molecular genetic approach, ‘Daughterless Carp Gene Technology’, designed to integrate an inheritable gene into the population that limits the abundance of the highly fecund females, and the identification of discrete and finite carp breeding hot-spots within river systems to aid targeted control activities. The methods used to identify breeding hot-spots will be outlined and a project to trial the effectiveness of a control strategy based on targeting spawning/recruitment hotspots for catchment-wide carp control will be described.

Gents, Have no fear all fish in that video were returned unharmed. And to the person who said about low test curve rods I believe they are 3llbTC. The takes here are crazy and the fish fight like mad as they are true wild fish and a lot of them have literally never been hooked before. Tpawlus just gets a kick out of winding the neandethals up about killing them as they get quite upset if you say that you return them. :twisted: He is a great guy and if it were not for him I would have given up carp fishing when I moved to Australia but he told me all about the local areas and now there is a bit of a scene starting, it's actually pretty cool as you are pretty much pioneering if you want a swim, make one because the chances are no one else has fished that spot for caep. The great thing is that although there are loads of mid to late doubles there are also some absolute lunkers, it is just a matter of getting access to them and then trying to get them to take a bait before one of the million mid double to mid twenties do. Seriously, I don't think anyone truly knows what the biggest carp in Australia is, I know of them being caught up to 43lb but with our climate and water systems there are bound to be bigger.

Once again though fear not, as they say in the movies, "no animals or children were harmed during the making of this feature" :wink:

Check out some of Tpawlus's other you tube videos they are great.

Thing is you've got to understand King carp are an invasive alien species to Oz and they are quite literally destroying many fragile ecosysyems, same in NZ where its common practice to shoot any carp found in rivers.

Windrush,

Believe it or not i have read a large number of government documents about the affect of carp on the eco system and not one of them can categorically pin anything on the carp. In fact most of the studies say such things as "it is believed that carp attribute to X issue" but none say that they actually do. Belief is not a fact. Most of the studies also end up admitting that the facts are that the native species cannot withstand the level of polution in the waterways but the carp can, if they wiped the carp out the natives still wouldn't come back you would just have waterways that are devoid of fish.

Not having a go at you of course as you can only go by the media representation but just wanting to put the record straight on this forum as I know that there are several Aussie carpers on here and I don't want everyone to get the wrong impression of what we are doing.

trust me guys, nobody in australia eats carp, most fishermen in australia are neanderthals using heavy tackle and basically winching whatever has the misfortune to take their bait unceremoniously up to the surface and then gaf it. they blame carp for the lack of native species and seriously hate them but the fact of the matter is that 99% of fishermen "fish for a feed" and hence carp do ok compared to the native species that get eaten all the time because no "aussie" angler would target carp for food. so think about it, if everyone eats the natives (all the natives are predatory so caught using spinner baits and plastic lures mainly) and very few people "target" carp as they won't eat them, why on earth could the carp numbers be increasing and the native numbers declining? :roll: well its obviously the evil carp that are responsible isn't it!!!! :roll: That is why your average aussie angler hates carp. because it is easier to blame the carp than to face the reality that the demise of their local species is down to being eaten by the anglers and the native species lack of tolerance to pollution.

On the upside though that is also why the chances of me meeting another angler on the bank (unless I have arranged to meet them beforehand) is highly unlikely as all the aussie guys are way to busy winching their supposedly "prized" native target species out of the water and holding them with lip grips before leaving them to suffocate on the bank, usually from a boat or at least in a location that is not full of those evil carp. So do not fear guys Mr carp is doing fine in Australia. In fact he is thriving which means more and more uncaught, hard fighting, beauties there are for true carp fishermen to catch and treasure.

Now that's what i would now call a screamer!! my screamers now sound like liners compared to that :shock:

seriously, the amount of rods i have seen over here that nearly get pulled in or at least off the rests on the take is ridiculous. The fish go like stink and 99% of them are like torpedos, long and lean.

That Sir Luked, is the post of the year so far, Hang in there!!!

Thanks Keenook,

believe me I am going nowhere the fishing here is like nowhere I have ever fished before there are loads of fish. multiple captures are the norm and there are some true lunkers. the climate here is great the fish can feed practically all year. In honesty one of the issues is that no one knows how big they are? there are literally heaps of mid double to lower 20 carp that you ned to wade through to get to the biggies so the wait for one of the big boys is never boring. It is true pioneering stuff. It doesn't even sound like english carp fishing, I watch the carp catcher youtube blogs just to remind myself of what carp fishing sound like, sounds weird I know but fishing here is like fishing in jurassic park. it's still a bit freaky, and more than a little unnerving when you are sitting there next to your rods and a 1.2M red belly black snake slithers past, but they leave you alone if you offer them the same courtesy.

On a side note, I would also like to thank the forum operator and it's members for having and supporting the australian section on this site as it is a fantastic resource for us in this great southern land to keep in touch with a world where gaffs are not the norm. We appreciate your help guys and you never know maybe one day you might be able to get out here and sample the delights of Aussie carpin!

Thanks guys

Now that's what i would now call a screamer!! my screamers now sound like liners compared to that :shock:

seriously, the amount of rods i have seen over here that nearly get pulled in or at least off the rests on the take is ridiculous. The fish go like stink and 99% of them are like torpedos, long and lean.

Then the clutch needs setting better or you can tell me where your fishing :wink:

Then the clutch needs setting better or you can tell me where your fishing :wink:

couldn't agree more mate. I've never lost a rod but i fish a very loose baitrunner, others fish with theres a little tight and whooshka the rod is gone. I've genuinely seen a guy dive in to the river at 3am after his rod, to his credit he got it and still landed the fish, it was like an episode of the crocodile hunter apart from the fact that steve Erwin didn't have me laying on the floor wetting myself with laughter in the background. :lol::twisted:

couldn't agree more mate. I've never lost a rod but i fish a very loose baitrunner, others fish with theres a little tight and whooshka the rod is gone. I've genuinely seen a guy dive in to the river at 3am after his rod, to his credit he got it and still landed the fish, it was like an episode of the crocodile hunter apart from the fact that steve Erwin didn't have me laying on the floor wetting myself with laughter in the background. :lol::twisted:

I can only remember one time i almost lost a rod, That was in the summer a few years ago floater fishing,

Going for a wee in the bush i left my bail open but when i put the rod down it flicked back on itself and the next thing i know my rod buts in the air and my trousers a little wet around the waist area :oops::lol:

As long as your rear rests are gripping tight should be no problems, my mate fishes locked up all the time no matter the situation and even on waters where fish tend to blast off all his takes involve the bobbin pulling tight and the fish staying on the spot until he lifts the rod.

His theory is that with a slack spool the hook does not set as well and also the fact that he has lost a rod fishing slack baitrunners because the line was spewing off and looped around part of the reel. :cry:

G'day you lot!

It still makes me chuckle when reading some of the misnomers slung about in regards to the Aussie carp angling scene!!

King carp? There is only one stocking of King carp in Australia and you can't fish for them unfortunately. :( The majority of the carp seen are Boolarra strain, a commercially bred strain that escaped during a flood in the sixties from an aquaculture farm. Or someones Koi collection that got dumped in the local watercourse. 8)

It should also be recognised that both Tpawlus and Luked are valued members of the Aussie scene. Tom's videos have been an inspiration, his enthusiasm and efforts in developing swims for himself and other Aussie carpers has been remarkable. Luke has invested huge amounts of time, money and effort to establish an invaluable resource in Australia ie tackle and bait. We now have quality in both areas available to us through Luke which is fantastic!

Thanks guys!!

Trust me that Aussie carping vs UK/Euro carping is like chalk & cheese. If you get the chance to fish over here you'll quickly understand.....it is awesome!

Cheers,

Ben

Now that I've almost completed my first year carping apprenticeship, I can report on some prolific takes and almost losing my rod twice when in the pod. Purely for reasons of close fitting machined handle support and overconfidence...

I've watched a heap of UK videos and youtube clips to see what happens over there. Behaviours appear to be quite different in terms of how much of a fight the smaller ones here put up. Depending on the time of year, it's tricky to guess how big things are going to be before you see them.

If you decide to come visit Aus, bring your kit.

Oh, and I'd suggest that you ignore all youtube comments.

A friend of mine once said "Commenting on youtube videos is like [censored]ing in a sea of [censored]"