Plastic bait ban on Suffolk Water Park

i dont know if its true BUT tbh if i owned my own lake i would ban plastics myself, for the simple reason that if you ever have a break off the bait and hook would continue to be picked up time and time again until either a fish becomes tethered and dies or the hook rusts away as unlike real baits the plastic will never rot or dissolve.

EDIT i have just been on the website and it does not say anything about plastics being banned, well not that i see anyway mate

Top post on the Forum mate. They have banned them along with sacks.

I'm guessing the reason is as above. I know that they have had issues with fish being caught trailing several rigs, leaders and leads. :evil:

The problem is anyone can fish it and often people are trying to cast big distances without shock leaders and using the biggest lead they can find. Just asking for a crack-off really, then as said a fish could pick it up a week or two later.

Hopefully they haven't lost another one to a sack. Shame they had to ban them, I used to use one for about 5 minutes while I got my camera and stuff sorted. Guess I'll be leaving them in the net in future.

i dont know if its true BUT tbh if i owned my own lake i would ban plastics myself, for the simple reason that if you ever have a break off the bait and hook would continue to be picked up time and time again until either a fish becomes tethered and dies or the hook rusts away as unlike real baits the plastic will never rot or dissolve.

EDIT i have just been on the website and it does not say anything about plastics being banned, well not that i see anyway mate

I'm down there on Wednesday so I will ask about the ban on plastic baits.

The thing with plastic baits is that they do not break down, and a baited rig will stay baited even if snapped off. A few years ago I retrieved a rig still attached to a long leader with plastic corn as the hookbait, there was no way that the fish could eject the rig from the leader, and if I had not been lucky enough to retrieve it a fish could have been tethered and dead.

Numbers of fish have been landed with plastic and rigs still attached, and numbers have also been found deaded after being tethered from taking that hookbait.

Top post on the Forum mate. They have banned them along with sacks.

I'm guessing the reason is as above. I know that they have had issues with fish being caught trailing several rigs, leaders and leads. :evil:

The problem is anyone can fish it and often people are trying to cast big distances without shock leaders and using the biggest lead they can find. Just asking for a crack-off really, then as said a fish could pick it up a week or two later.

Hopefully they haven't lost another one to a sack. Shame they had to ban them, I used to use one for about 5 minutes while I got my camera and stuff sorted. Guess I'll be leaving them in the net in future.

They did make a rule that sacks had to have a "buoy" attached so in the case of it breaking free with a fish inside it could be seen and retrieved. That was after the Army fish was found dead in a sack floating around the lake.

So if sacks have been totally banned then there is still a problem.

I've retrieved rigs and leaders with plastic bait attached, and obviously from Splitters post this has become a major problem. I also think that Grey Tail was found dead tethered to a leader (possibly leadcore not 100%).

The thing with Suffolk Water Park is that it is not a water for "numpties", the fish are not "easy easy" or small, the weed can be a nightmare, the gravel is severe, casts up to and over 100metres are needed to get to the far bank on the golf course side if the fish are hanging around on that bank. Yet with all that it is day ticket, and open to everyone.

I bought one of the chub recovery slings. Good pieces of kit. If the line was to break or not be tethered properly the sling stays on the top water.

As long as you don't float them in weed bed at night I think they are pretty good.

If you fish on your own it can take you ten minutes to get your camera etc sorted out so I think there is still a place for retaining fish for a bit (especially if it's hoofing it down with rain).

I bought one of the chub recovery slings. Good pieces of kit. If the line was to break or not be tethered properly the sling stays on the top water.

As long as you don't float them in weed bed at night I think they are pretty good.

If you fish on your own it can take you ten minutes to get your camera etc sorted out so I think there is still a place for retaining fish for a bit (especially if it's hoofing it down with rain).

Sell the sack and get a raincoat. :roll:

Sell the sack and get a raincoat. :roll:

And one for my DSLR???? :roll:

For some time I fished a lake that considered banning artificial baits, after a couple of terribly unsafe sets of end tackle were retrieved and handed in to the lake owner. At the time there had been 2 or 3 threads on here with pictures of carp that had been tethered and fortunetly rescued fron snags. Even with several years carping behind me, I had no idea at the amount damage these set-ups caused to even those fish that were rescued. The photographs were appauling!!!

Until then, without giving the artificial baits much thought, I confidently used bright plastic corn in conjunction with boilies method.

I now make my corn sized, 4-6mm highly visual toppers to go on the hair along with the boilie, using pop-up mix, bright coloured dyes/flavours. And take a few out of the freezer the night before a trip, along with my bait.

The owner didn't ban artifcial baits in the end, a mistake in my opinion, but I won't be going back to plastic now, not worth the risk.

Guest Anonymous

One thing I don't get with people who use plastic baits on braided hooklengths..................why the hair stop and loop when the bait will grip a straight braid hair easily.......but still come off after prolonged attention from silvers etc pecking away at it.

i have always been a fan of plastics but since the start of last year i have been using the heathrow bait services 'day trippers' as a visual enhanc ement on top of boillies- similar size to a grain of corn, they only last maybe 10 hours on the hair but most important they do disintergrate.