crayfish & boilies

dawolf

After todays session i have reeled up to find both rigs tangled and both baits chopped pretty badly from what i suspect are crayfish. Normally this has not been a problem before because the lake was thought to be free of them. I am worried that my baits will be destroyed everytime now. Can anyone give me any hints on how to tackle this problem?

The short answer to this problem is theres not a lot you can do to solve it...They will eat all baits including rock hard air dried and plastic, they will even attempt to drag zigs down to the lake bed.The only time these fittle luckers don't feed is when they are shedding their shells,this usually happens around this time but can be 3 weeks to a month either way.Fishing in silt or weed may improve matters but again no guarantee,using mono hooklinks rather than braid may also work.You could try Fox Armour mesh,a lot of people say this works...

If the problem is too bad,you may be better off fishing elsewhere...

After todays session i have reeled up to find both rigs tangled and both baits chopped pretty badly from what i suspect are crayfish. Normally this has not been a problem before because the lake was thought to be free of them. I am worried that my baits will be destroyed everytime now. Can anyone give me any hints on how to tackle this problem?

Wolfie...If I,am thinking rightly is it a possibility that Ninja,s could be the source of the problem... :shock::x:shock::shock: .... especially on a fishmeal based bait, but thinking about it I had a few encounters on a milk protein birdseed mix...if so the only thing I can suggest is to change to maize as they seem to be not to fussed on that in the longer term...or just stick with it if your getting results on the fish side of things...there is an amour mesh product that the lads use over on the continent on the big French waters that encapsulates the boilie and deters most nipping types of bait stealers...also clear heatshrink tube that once shrunk around the bait and leaving the top and bottom open for the scent to leach out, it would take a set of bolt cutters to get through... :wink: ...

Nails

Thank you gentlemen for the responses, nails you are right and it was a complete shock to see that last night. Whats more frustrating is one of the rods had no bait when i reeled up...i wonder how many hours were wasted.

I have had my rock hard cork ball pop-ups striped. :shock::shock::shock: ...with out noticing a twitch or bleep....I get in the habit if I know Donatello or Rafiel is knocking about...I,ll reel in every 30-40mins....... if the fish are there and on it, it dos,nt seem to bother them as I would cast 20 or so yards past and reel back until my line flouro marker is on the right spot with my tip eye... :wink:

appologies to those who use this little trick, my lake is full of crays what we do is get the cheapest tin of cat meat,puncture it several times let flavours and juice flood out. not only attracts fish but keeps crays away from your baits, chuck tin 10 15 feet away from your baited area keeps crays at bay for hours.and off your baits. :lol:

A huge bait, boiled to death and dryed to a musket ball... :lol:

p.s. cobleyn is right on the old wooden balls. I saw someone once with a load of film cannisters with different flavours and oils with wooden balls in. I thought he was mental at the time, but they did catch fish.

On some waters but not all for some reason. I have found garlic keeps Ronnie and Reggie at bay for a while.

A few years ago I was fishing a water totally infested with the little gits. What ever bait I used was just getting totally obliterated by them. Even boilies air dried till they where like bullets and meshed up where not lasting 4 hours.

I then remembered a conversation from a few years earlier, where someone had told me that they had found Ronnie and Reggie tended to avoid baits with garlic in.

So thinking it was worth a shot, I knocked up a large bucket of particle with 3 full bulbs of chopped garlic added while soaking.

I fished a garlic tiger nut or garlic maize over the top and the result was I could keep 90% of baits on for 12 hours, while everyone else was still loosing 90% of their baits within about 4 hours.

And the carp loved the garlic to, it got to the point when I was adding 6 full bulbs of garlic to a bucket and just using a clove of garlic on the hair and was getting almost instant results, which on this lake was very rare.

I then moved on to another water infested with the little gits again, full of confidence that I knew how to avoid them, but I reckon these ones must have been French because the tactic was not half as effective as it had been on the lake previous!

I have since fished a few waters with a cray problem and always approach them with the garlic, sometimes it works other times it don't. But definitely worth a try in my opinion.

• 1 year later...
garysj01

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 19:31 Post subject: Crayfish Question

Hi all

Hope your all well

I am having a massive problem with crayfish, i have tried rock hard baits, the tubing, plastic baits etc but they still getting away with pinching the bait.

Now i have heard off a few people that crayfish dont like certain (vegi) baits ie tiger nuts, chick peas, tares, etc is there any truth to this?

bish_471985

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 19:34 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not had ay problems with crays in my angling life as of yet but my mate had a few years ago and he simply gave up on the water due to the amount of crays and the effects of them and he is a very competent carper so i dunno, sorry i know thats not very usefull

sirblanksalot

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 19:38 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just watched mr fairbrass on a french venue using the baits you mentioned against crays,

three fifties on chickpeas

garysj01

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 19:40 Post subject:

Yeah that was where i first triggered in my head but id like the opinion of others before ill take it as gospel and try for myself although im sure mr fairbrass is right, that maybe only on that water and not others, but if it is a general rule they dont like the baits then i will have a go

travisbickle

Location: enjoys quiet nights in and long romantic walks to the fridge

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 19:55 Post subject:

As I said mate...possibly down to oil content...against farinacious

muftyboy

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 20:00 Post subject:

I fished billingford lakes last year with my brother in law, i used boilies and they wouldnt leave me alone but the brother in law used maggot and had five carp and not a peep from the crays

mufty

garysj01

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 21:40 Post subject:

I was using rubber pellets, pricked, warmed and then soaked with the same enhancer as the boilies, and i got done on all three rods without even a bleep or tug on the rod, 2 pellets were missing and one, you could see the claw marks.

I might soak a stick of cemtex in the flavour next time and cast that out, really annoying when your fishing is all based round stealth, and casting as little as possible

cobleyn

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 22:07 Post subject: Crayfish

My stock response (and the one I always roll out) for crayfish is to get some wooden balls from craft shop. Soak them in neat flavour until they become semi buoyant or sink...rig them up and laugh at the crayfish.

Nutrabaits salmon elite comes recommended

iberiancarpa

Posted: 15th Jul 2012 23:34 Post subject:

I used to fish a lake in Portugal that was so infested with crays, that if you put a boilie on it would not last any longer than 15 minutes

To get around the problem I used plastic baits and tiger nuts which they wouldn't eat but you still have to keep checking your rigs as they will still tangle up your hook links.

brighton_carper

Posted: 16th Jul 2012 12:21 Post subject:

I don’t think there’s really any hard and fast rule with Crayfish. I fished a place with a Crayfish problem last year, switched from boilies to tigers, and didn’t have any further problems, but I know other places where they’ll take tigers, corn, just about anything. It probably depends on how much natural food there is, and how big the Crayfish population in the lake is. If they’re taking rubber pellets I doubt anything is safe.

Sounds like your lake has got it bad. Are the lake owners not trying to reduce Crayfish numbers with trapping?

jay666

Posted: 17th Jul 2012 07:07 Post subject:

i no these really work, they have been doing well in France for years

http://enterprisetackle.co.uk/et58-bait-cage

you can get them from many places and if i recall esp do/did them ( first site/brand i found in google)

carpepecheur

Posted: 17th Jul 2012 09:01 Post subject:

Gary, you could always get your own back and eat them. They make excellent eating. My crayfish bisque is to die for.

You can buy collapsible crab traps in a chain of stores called "The Range". They cost £6 each and work very well on crayfish.

I am not sure how legal their use is over there.

brighton_carper

Posted: 17th Jul 2012 09:08 Post subject:

I'm pretty sure using those traps without a licence is illegal over here, as the English Crayfish is protected, but it's a bit late, as they're almost extinct.

I was talking to an offical EA Crayfish trapper last year, and he said he hadn't seen an single English Crayfish in any of his traps for over a year.

Crays will come over almost anything you can put in, and are particularly bad on gravel areas.

They will also walk popped up baits down to the lakebed, twist braided rigs and generally be a nightmare, although there presence does NOT necessarily put the carp off the area. I've had crays from the River Lea on maggots, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, and even had one holding tightly onto a piece of kabanos sausage all the way to me landing it, not caught on the hook at all.

Rock hard baits meshed in stockings may keep them away for a while, but they will get onto them. Superglue your boilie stop in place as the little gits will work out how to pull the darn things free.

I moved onto a water with a crayfish problem this year, and my usual snowman toppers were Garlic and Spice, and they were being ripped off the hair, along with my stocking meshed rock hard baits. I know that they were hard as I actually broke a baiting needle when I attempted to get it through a bait!

I had 4lb mono hairs cut off the rig ring, although 15lb Pro-Carp did defeat them, and my Merlin braided hair was very well plucked. The stocking mesh was regularly retrieved just with the mono knot and the actual stocking cut from top to bottom and balled up.

I had to resort to every single bleep checking and changing the hookbait, so almost constantly awake for 5 days pretty much killed me.

Just to see how long it would take, at 9am on the last day I cast out fresh baits, one a 24mm rock hard boilie soaked for 3 years in a Bait soak with glycerol, and a pop-up.

The other rod was a 24mm boilie, a hardened halibut flavoured hookbait pellet and a white chocolate pop-up.

When I retrieved both rods at 14.00 hours the hardened bait on the first rod was clawed all over, down to about 15mm and the pop-up had gone AWOL, pulled off the hair completely.

The second rod I had had the boilie removed, and the 16mm halibut hooker had been split in half across the middle and whittled down to half its usual diameter, and the pop-up again was missing.

I've had to order myself some (Nutrabaits) Granite Mix (boilie hookbait base mix), which I will flavour with my latest flavour to match my boilies, but I reckon even they will get mugged. The answer is as Cob says, wooden balls soaked in a mix of Instinct Factor and Crustacean XS Liquid dip, and I already have them on order.

Tricky one this im still working through various methods to avoid the crays altogether. I have been warned to be very careful handling any braided hooklink as this will soak in any flavour thus attracting the crays to twist and knot the hooklink. I will be trying out the vegi method soon so ill let you know how it goes. Any fishmeal is the number one attractor so ive heard, so ill be steering clear of these, but i suppose every venue will react differently. Using cages, shrink tube or mesh around the bait is an answer in part but the crays will still knot and tangle the hooklink materials up especially braid. Its a hard situation because anything a carp is attracted to a crayfish will also be attracted too, so im going down the vegi route to see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
appologies to those who use this little trick, my lake is full of crays what we do is get the cheapest tin of cat meat,puncture it several times let flavours and juice flood out. not only attracts fish but keeps crays away from your baits, chuck tin 10 15 feet away from your baited area keeps crays at bay for hours.and off your baits. :lol:

I know this thread is old, but I just had to reply to this. I would of thought this would have attracted the kray twins, my friend who works selling tackle at a lake used to use cat meat in the crayfish traps. I assume as with the garlic method, it must depend on the preference of the crays in different lakes. For some strange reason that makes me think of the fact of cows in different parts of the country having different accents lol :lol:

I know this thread is old, but I just had to reply to this. I would of thought this would have attracted the kray twins, my friend who works selling tackle at a lake used to use cat meat in the crayfish traps. I assume as with the garlic method, it must depend on the preference of the crays in different lakes. For some strange reason that makes me think of the fact of cows in different parts of the country having different accents lol :lol:

The original quoted post said the whole point of using the cat food is to attract the crayfish.

The idea being, if you throw it 10-15 feet to the side of your bait, all of the cray fish in the vicinity flock to the cat food and leave your hook bait alone.

Not sure that I think throwing a can of cat food in the lake is a good idea though, even if it does keep the crays busy :shock:

fishing in deeper water seems to keep the krays away, last year while fishing a lake infested with them if i was fishing the far margin which was around 8 foot deep they would be on it in seconds but a bait put at the bottom of the margin shelf which was around 14 foot deep was left out all night until mr carp took it early next morning, i might of just been lucky but its gotta be worth a thought.

mufty