First fish from my new water - what a start!

Fished my third session this weekend on my new water and had yet to catch. I set up in a broad bay, which is really little more than a gentle concave curve to the main bank, with the blustery wind pushing into my face and slightly to the right. It seemed a likely area for the fish to visit at some point over the weekend.

I set up a good spread of boilies at about 40 yards, past the straggly weed that dominates the closer and shallower water in this area of the lake, fishing one bait directly over it, another in a solid PVA bag with broken boilies, groundbait and pellets about 10 yards to the right, and a third rod was roving around the left hand side of the swim. Through Friday night, Saturday daytime and on through Saturday night I had nothing, nor was anything showing.

By the time I got up to recast my roving rod this morning I was starting to feel I was destined for another blank, but just as I was rebaiting that rod, the right hand, PVA rod shot off. I was on it quickly, but even still, it had taken 25+ yards of line. It gave a good scrap, and after 15 minutes my first carp from the lake was in the net and I was shaking because it was a real biggie. And it most certainly was - I'd only gone and got the biggest fish in the lake at 40lb 11oz and my new pb by nearly 10lbs. :D:D:D

Thanks go to my new mate Daz from a couple of swims down for taking the photos.

Feeling a bit dazed and elated. I mean, first fish from a lake and it's the biggest, my pb and first 40 - how lucky? Now I've caught the biggest, just got to crack the lake and catch a few of the others. Seems a bit upside down, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Still buzzing now!

Pete

BigGal2.jpg

BigGal1.jpg

BigGal3.jpg[/img]

I just had my first outing of the year and on a brand new water this sunday and had 2 runs which resulted in 1 fish lost and lifting into nothing on the other! The lad over the way from me had a 23, I helped net a 14lber for another lad, and I felt like Id messed up big time loosing the first fish.

Pete, i mess myself thinking about one day hooking the biggest in the lake which is 28lb, never mind an amazing beast like what you have in your arms there! well done mate, im yet to get one on the bank but have a good feelin of how you might have felt like when ya got that kipper in the net! superb fish!

I just had my first outing of the year and on a brand new water this sunday and had 2 runs which resulted in 1 fish lost and lifting into nothing on the other! The lad over the way from me had a 23, I helped net a 14lber for another lad, and I felt like Id messed up big time loosing the first fish.

Pete, i mess myself thinking about one day hooking the biggest in the lake which is 28lb, never mind an amazing beast like what you have in your arms there! well done mate, im yet to get one on the bank but have a good feelin of how you might have felt like when ya got that kipper in the net! superb fish!

Ross, yeah that's why we all do what we do isn't it - that flutter in your stomach at the idea of getting one of the big uns, even more so when it's on the end of your line and the elation when you finally get it on the bank. Look forward to hearing your tale when you get one of the biggies out of your lake. :)

Cheers to you all and I'll catch up with some of you on the bank soon.