Best bait

Im using currently tutti fruity doughball coverin the hook, and cous cous as chum... I brought in about 3 last week. Nothing really big 15lb. Whats the most carp attracting bait. Want your opinion on what brings the most carp in.

Let me know thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I half fill a small pot with water. Add vanilla, yellow food dye, and honey, then stir. Add yellow corn meal, flour and corn starch then stir until soupy. Then I turn on the gas range and stir the bait over low heat until it gets very thick. After it cools, I knead it into a ball, then put it in a plastic bag. If you don't cook it enough it will be too soft and mushy. If you cook it too much, it will get dried out, crumbly and too hard. I prefer soft corn meal over hard bait. I hook more fish with a soft bait. I caught 216 carp this year. Largest was 35".

I never freeze it, I just store it in a refrigerator. When the weather is very hot, I keep the bait in a cooler on ice. Heat turns the bait into mush. If the bait gets too soft, I recook it so that it gets firm again. I just caught 2 more carp yesterday. Sometimes the carp actually swallow my corn meal bait.

I don't measure ingredients or time the cooking. I just dump in a small amount of yellow food dye. I believe that carp prefer the color yellow. I catch more carp on yellow lures than all of the other colors. It is better to measure and time everything while making corn meal bait. My bait comes out different every time that I make it, but I catch lots of carp. I now caught 223 carp this year. I recently landed a 12 lber with a lure on 2 lb test line. I put a pic in my blog at //www.myspace.com/NJ219bands/blog

• 2 years later...

Hi nj219bands,

you just squeeze this dough around the hook then? I make similar baits myself.

What kind of hook do you use and what size? Do you use a sinker or just free line it?

I have used a very similar method in Thailand for catfish. It's scaled up for the big cats.

This is a similar video of the method. (Not my video but same technique. It is bread and water plus any flavouring you want)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hv0OyLJp2LI#t=152s

Thanks

I completely cover the hook with a corn meal ball, then check my bait frequently. I use a #8 treble hook on the end of 12 lb test fluorocarbon line with no weight for big fish and a #14 gold treble hook on the end of 2 lb test fluorocarbon line with no weight for small fish. Occasionally a big carp will pick up the bait, swim away and pull my rod into the water in a few seconds. I have been very fortunate to not have lost a rod yet, but I had to wade out into a river to retrieve some. If the action is fast, I hold my rod and watch the slack line. I caught 265 carp last year. Longest was 35".

My homemade corn meal bait is the world's best carp bait. Since April 1999 I caught > 2,700 carp with it. Largest fish was 42.5 lbs. Best year was 600 carp.
i would love to see your 42.5 must have been a great fight! I tried your myspace but theres only 2 pics of carp on there that i saw. I may havelooked on the wrong page??

I completely cover the hook with a corn meal ball, then check my bait frequently. I use a #8 treble hook on the end of 12 lb test fluorocarbon line with no weight for big fish and a #14 gold treble hook on the end of 2 lb test fluorocarbon line with no weight for small fish. Occasionally a big carp will pick up the bait, swim away and pull my rod into the water in a few seconds. I have been very fortunate to not have lost a rod yet, but I had to wade out into a river to retrieve some. If the action is fast, I hold my rod and watch the slack line. I caught 265 carp last year. Longest was 35".

Treble hooks for carp fishing :shock: :shock:

I release most fish except carp because they are a nonnative invasive species. In NJ it is illegal to release certain species of fish. I found the dog by the Delaware River and reported it to animal control which took it away. There are dog fighting rings nearby.

Because I know there is a thriving chapter of c+r carpers in Carp Anglers Group in NJ I looked up the regs and found that:

Potentially Dangerous Fish

The possession or release of live, potentially dangerous fish is prohibited. These species include Asian swamp eel, bighead, grass (diploid) and silver carp, brook stickleback, green sunfish, flathead catfish, oriental weatherfish, snakehead and warmouth. Anglers MUST destroy these species if encountered while fishing and are directed to submit specimens or photos to Fish & Wildlife Bureau etc.

Commons and mirrors aren't on the list. I warned you.