Big hooks little baits

jemsue5

Just wondering how many of you always balance your hook baits to your hooksize. On the water i'm fishing at the moment i have found that the hook holds are better when i stick a proper bit of steel in their mouths and i rarely use a hook smaller than a size 4 even with small baits. Baits have been down to 12mm wafters and even then the fish haven't been put off by the large hook. Now i see a size 4 as quite small in comparison that some items that carp will be feeding on and picking up such as swan mussels etc so with this in mind i really dont worry that my size 2 or 4 hook is a bit big. I'm beginning to think that maybe we all take it to far and a simple strong no nonsense rig is all we really need.

Guest Anonymous

i guess it depends what jind of waters you fish but i generall dont go any bigger than a size 6, norm is 6 and 8 8) i use strong rigs and with no tat or nonsense tho? works for me :lol:

rig im doing well on at the moment is a size 4,long hair with a 10mm dumbell with a 10mm popup on top,weight of the hook is just enough to lay it flat on the bottom,but its so light with the popup on it just flys in there mouth! hookholds have been spot on. the baits sit around 3/4 of an inch off the bottom

iv started to think along these lines over the last few years.started when a bailiff said id needed to scale down for colder months :? never did and caught :D

if im fishing in weed the 1st thing i do think bigger hook,same if near snags. i just know iv got a better chance to land them( blanks are fine compared to lossing 'em)

and i think it was in Free-spool,about a guy going up to huge cat fish hooks and turning more runs into banked. he even made a good augment about them doing less mouth damage ,even though they came back though the out side occasionally....no chance of it slipping like that.

for boilies its normally size 8 maize size 10 luncheon meat sizes 8 or 10. for sweet corn its a 12. I can see the point of it myself useing large hooks i know anglers in y club use sizes 6 and 4 for floating bread . My biggest fish on a size 8 is 24 lbs and a 10 is 21 lbs . I am more woored about line than hook sizes line i normally use in thick with roots and trees is 14 lbs line. for normal areas still use a 12 or 10 lb line. where there are no hidden traps.

i never used to really think about it, until my last session on todber manor. i use to pretty much always use a size 8 for all my fishing. i wasn't getting any action what's so ever, so i whittled down my boilies and moved on to a size 10 hook. this seemed to do the job and managed to get two out. on the flip side of the coin i did lose two at the net? was this down to the hook being to small? i don't know. however it turned a blank in to getting some fish.

and i think it was in Free-spool,about a guy going up to huge cat fish hooks and turning more runs into banked. he even made a good augment about them doing less mouth damage ,even though they came back though the out side occasionally....no chance of it slipping like that.

I read that piece many times over. It made so much sense & i've used bigger hooks since.

I was getting a lot of runs that resulted in nothing, using smallerhooks andf shorter hairs, read the thing on freespool and tried a long hair with size 6 with balanced corn or chickpea and since then i havent have any runs which didnt have a fish attached.

I work off the idea that as long at the bait is balance very well, it will shoot up into the mouth and the large hook will have enough weight to hang down and get a good hook hold on. Ive had a few people say my hair is too long but if it works, why fix it?!

The only time I dont use a long hair is if I use two bottom baits, boilies, I tend to have a short hair as I think the weight of the bait will cause the hook the be lower down and it would have the same "pop up affect" of the balanced bait, but still use a big hook.

I only use size 10 for floater fishing, nothing else.

As the saying goes....

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Ive done a bit of both Jez and to be honest i now think, longshank hooks need to be small gapes and wide gape hooks to be big beefy ones like centurions. if i want a big hook and fine guage then insisors.

I find that sometimes a small hook beds in better as the shank is closer to the inside if the fishes mouth and holds on well esspecially usefull with long shanks as the pressure exerted on the bend is increased by the shank (like a long spanner) the deeper its in or further round the bend means that you equal out the levels of pressure.

With a shorter shank the pressure is decreased and allows for bigger hooks to try and grab the flesh which can ultimately lead to more runs. I always liked to have a straight point for that but easy in is also easy out. Big hook and beaked point..... best of both worlds?