Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
zander1

Apperance on the bank

Do you worry about looking the part on the bank or do you let your fishing do the talking???

Does taking your marker, spod, surface and 3rd rod, bivvy and your entire luggage etc actually give you extra confidence that you will catch even though you know you only need two rods and a rucksack to catch fish??

(im talking day sessions here :roll: )

I only ask as I am having to thin my gear down for uni and my chub luggage has been demoted for some rod bands and a cheap camo rucksack I had before I even started carp fishing :lol::lol::lol:

Although tbf I don’t take as much as most on day sessions anyway but the barrow does allow for non essentials- i.e. 6 rods "just incase" :oops:

Anyway, im planning on getting laughed at when I next go fishing, even though im getting a lift to a lake I may as well get used to fishing light :)

So what do you guys do???

Zed's :)

At the moment i fish very light. Just my rod sling, mat and a tiny little bag with a few bits out my tackle box, scale's, bit of bait, camera and a couple of sandwich's in. My little chair and a big bottle of water fit in my mat. Can move with ease then. Obviously a couple of night's session there's a big difference. Appearance wise i couldn't give a toss

Looking at my gear...you'd think I cared...as I've managed to put together a decent set of kit on the basis that I've used rubbish tackle in the past and it's let me down, cost me fish, or spooked my session in some way.

But then looking at me on the bank, you'd see I don't care. Currently sporting old boots, asda t shirt and Costco trousers.

Shame there are not a few more guys like you on the waters I fish.

They seem to prefer taking the kitchen sink and admiring their bivvy layout rather than actually catching carp.

Actualy there is a guy I fish with guilty of this too, good lad though :lol::lol::lol:

His fish care is top notch...

... He hardly ever catches :twisted::P:P:P

i like my quality gear but i couldn't give two flying whatsits what people think of my apperance, i travel pretty light infact i haven't even put my brolly up in the uk since about March time choosing to sleep under the stars on my overnighters ! i think it really boils down to peoples personalities in general.

i know plenty of people who have top end gear and sets up worth a fortune but they dont brag about it or try to show it off they just apprieciate quality, and enjoy using that particular product, but there is always the odd few who will judge you by how your gear looks how its set up ect, thinking cash puts carp on the bank. we all know this is not the case. Enjoy your fishing and put carp on the bank and people will respect you as an angler and not be in a position to judge you on your gear and setup :wink:

Dan

I must admit, I must have my area inc the bivvy tidy everything must be in order and where to go for the toilet (If there isnt one on the lake/river) and a set place place for photos/unhooking, however I still dont care what other people have to say about it, I just get on with the job at hand catch the carp. Regards to gear I'm not too bothered I buy the stuff that works.

Happy days :D

I must admit I've got far too much gear and keep buying more, think I'm addicted, I bought a 13ft Daiwa float rod worth £180 last month for £42 didn't need it and not even used it but it's there just in case :oops:

I must have 4 120ltr rucksacks, numerous sized holdalls and and barrow bags, accessory pouches galore for camera and various other stuff and all have been bought from a fishing manufacture so the are green for fishing :oops::?:?:

I jokingly blamed the wife the other day when I didn't catch. She bough a perfectly good picnic bag with all the plates, cups, etc. but it was blue :shock: that must have been the reason the carp knew!

As for slimming down I'm trying my best but I can't seem to do it despite my main bag weighing a tonne. I emptied the lot out in my lounge and tried to whittle it down to what I actually needed and 95% of it went back in with the 'I may need it' attitude. I know I don't need 20 different types of pop ups or 30 various leads but I'd rather struggle and moan about carrying it then leave it behind even though if I needed it that badly I could walk home in 10 minutes

I've saved some weight with my rod bag, I used to use a massive Daiwa Infinity quiver with all the separate rod sleeves and hood, keeping all 11 rods made up but now I use a cheap £6 non branded quiver I picked up from the bargain bin years ago for pike fishing and managed to squeeze all my rods in there with nets and sling albeit unmade but the weight different is worth having to make them up as and when when I need them

I now try and only take the gear I am going to need. I still leave stuff in the car just in case.

This is what I did to cut down my tackle. Take a new carryall (it can be a tarty one if you like!) when you pack away put all the gear you used in the new bag. The next time you go leave all the other stuff in the car and just take the cut down bag from last time. Over the course of a couple of sessions you will get a feel for the absolute necessities.

Just my 2 pennies worth, tight lines :)

I don't give a monkeys what people think about me or my gear...

Couldn't care less what people think too. The club water i fish is an ideal stalking water and you can't night fish. But still they come down, bivvy and all they own.

2 rods, net, and a ruck sack and i'm ready to go...!!

Happy Days...!! :lol::lol:

My set up is nothing to look and think it looks spot on, I have 2 carp rods both different makes with different reels so they look very odd on the pod, but they both do what they need so why get a matching pair to look good? My bobbins are different colours, one blue and one red.

But I do wear the "real tree" camo stuff, its really thick and keeps me really warm and also waterproof which is ace!

But I do tend to take a bit more stuff than needed, but it all fits in one bag so it's all good!

Ross :)

been mostly fishing short sessions around sunset, and it got annoying packing up in the dark and walking half a mile back to the car, so I cut back.

Now take a bucket with some vitalin, bag of pellets and some hookbaits. An old reel pouch of spare tackle (couple of leads, some line and a few hooks, bait stops, scissors, pocket scales). chair, net, 1 rod and mat.

My catch rate has not changed at all, so I will probably stay fishing this way!

My set up is nothing to look and think it looks spot on, I have 2 carp rods both different makes with different reels so they look very odd on the pod, but they both do what they need so why get a matching pair to look good? My bobbins are different colours, one blue and one red.

:)[

same here mate , have 3 different reels and 2 different rods, even my butt rest dont match but i dont care, im sure the carp dont mind either

mufty

I hope that my fishing does the talking, although I do have some decent gear :wink:

Currently Century Rods, Shimano baitrunners, Fox EasyDome and then Warrior Landing net although an old Badger Pod that is looking a bit battered.

I have minimised the amount of gear that I can take as some of my trips have to be via Public Transport. So everything has to fit into Rucksack, Rod Holdall, Tackle Box and Bedchair. The 4 luggage items that I carry that have to take food, water, clothes and obviously the fishing tackle with unhooking mat strapped to rucksack. This luggage doesn't change for day only sessions or for weeks sessions, although food amounts do. The Marker rod and Spod rod may be taken as on many occasions, even day trips I have scored after using them to pinpoint or feed an area.

The important thing is fish for yourself, you take what you reckon you need, and hope that you get things right on the bank.

i must say i take a fair bit of gear with me but nothing i cant get to my swim in one go. i really dont care what people think of my set up which is not very pretty to look at ...the only things i like to have which are good quality are my rods and reels all the rest does not matter to me chepo bivvy/bed chair tackle bags and stuff..... all them bits dont help me fish but i must have a tidy bivvy lol nothing worse that not knowing where things are at night.

but each to there own plus if you can afford top gear we would all buy it

i do think carp gear is way over priced.

Are you guys serious................This post just enforces my beliefs about the state of modern carp fishing today. "Apperance on the bank" It's not even spelt correctly ........ I thought this a forum about fishing. If you're that worried about you're appearance on the bank then maybe you shouldn't be fishing in the first place... Maybe I should be glad, at least I now know why I don't like most carp anglers.

Are you guys serious................This post just enforces my beliefs about the state of modern carp fishing today. "Apperance on the bank" It's not even spelt correctly ........ I thought this a forum about fishing. If you're that worried about you're appearance on the bank then maybe you shouldn't be fishing in the first place... Maybe I should be glad, at least I now know why I don't like most carp anglers.

:roll:

Guest Anonymous

Lol, you're my hero.

I'm not too worried about level sticks, clean groundsheet etc, but personal hygiene is important to me........... being a munter down the pond doesn't make you a better angler.

Each to their own, if you don't give a toss then crack on, if you want to polish your gear at the end of the session then that doesn't worry me either, unlike the above I'll still talk to you..........I'll even take a brew from your spare mug :wink:

Guest Anonymous

yes carpsoup!!, you have a valid point mate :lol: its a pair of combats and hoody for me on the bank, no dressing like a tree for me ?? i dont understand that though realtree/max-4 clothing is expensive yet people are happy to spend a bomb on the latest cam clothing ??? :?

Oh dear, Just re-read my post and want to apologise if I've offended anyone :( . It was written after a few lunchtime ciders. I still stand by what I said but think I could have worded it better. I should probably also add that I think this is the best angling forum around and I respect most of the regulars on here so please ignore my previous rant.

For day sessions it's Rod bag, rucksack, mat, chair and bait bucket, rare overnighters tend to be more but since I am carp porter-less I can still usually get it all to the swim in one load.

Clothing wise, combat trousers (army surplus), T-Shirt and camo hoody (asda) total cost about £20 though the wife did treat me to a ESP fleece about two years ago which cost a bit more. 8)

Mate, it’s just something to talk about :wink:

And if you hadn’t noticed some of my original post was in jest, however people are entitled to fish they like.

As for being worried, other than taking pride in my persons appearance and cleanliness, I’m not that bothered tbh.

Now I must go buy a chub rucksack as my camouflage one doesn’t match my gear- and I absolutely must spend over £100 on it to make sure it will catch me more fish :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Oh, and sorry about spelling a word wrong, us uni students are terrible :roll:

Edit: Sorry- Just read your last post, it seemed like a personal dig at me but if it wasn’t then I apologize for my retort.

Zed's :)