Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
chris71

NO NO NO AND NO...

I went fishing a couple of days ago, just for a day session, I caught 6 Carp but one of them I'm sad to say had a problem...

IMG_0132.jpg

It was trailing this little lot about, hooklink, lead, leadcore, main line and some sticks which all resulted in its mouth looking like this...

IMG_0128.jpg

Sorry to have posted this but I think people need reminding of how dangerous rigs can be to fish..

IMG_0131.jpg

As you can see from the photos the Carps mouth was really badly damaged and the rubber is pushed right up to the clip, to get the rubber off the clip I ended up ripping it so maybe it was glued.

Although the leadclip may not have been this Carps problem as it was trailing leadcore and mainline both of which were tangled around the sticks.

Anyway after removing the hook which was really deep and giving Mr Carp a squirt of antiseptic he happily swam off so hopefully his mouth is healing up and he can eat again!!

So think about what you're casting in to the water folks.

(Sorry about the fuzzy pics from mobile phone)

A sad sight to see. As you said the tail rubber has been pushed on too far. It may just be the pic, but it also looks as though the rubber and lead clip don't match. If they are different brand components this can also cause the two to be ill fitting.

At least you managed to remove it all, treat the fish and return it, giving it a good chance of recovering

I've PM'd Chris and asked him to post these pics and post onto these threads:

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40970

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794

Both threads are Stickies at the top of sections and I want the Safety issue at the top of the page, so that anglers think about what is cast out in terms of Rig Safety.

I'd copy and paste it myself, but with rig pics like this and the actual post it makes far more sense for Chris to do it :wink:

These people must be thick, 95% of articles, videos, dvd's etc all say "lubricate the tail rubber and don't push it on too far"

They happily spend thousands on their rods reels and the like but won't dump a £1.25 lead, even if it means harming the fish...

I don't know if its just ignorance, stupidity or 'fish at all cost' mentality.

but its inexcusable.

the hook link does look like a ready made with the rubber and swivel...may not be , but sure looks like what ESP do.....

whether that means much?? new to the sport and not in the know?? but as for the clip,iv not seen any thing like it... looks like theyve used a sledge hammer to get it on,or vacuum packed :shock:

Yet another tethered fish on the lead clip- safest way of fishing :wink:

They are my least favorite way of mounting a lead.

Some of you guys say its down to education, I don’t think it is. I think it’s because people want to use the clip but they don’t want to loose the lead when they catch. They know how it’s meant to work but then "adapt" it to suit them :roll:

If you don’t want to loose the lead don’t use a lead clip!!!! :evil::evil::evil:

It's interesting to see that, even though the lead was still in place, it's the length of lead-core that has tangled around the sticks.

Good observation, I thought Chris had untangled it a bit to take the photo, I never even thought :?

But still, that lead is never coming off that clip :shock:

Ok, here is something for you, whether the lead clip is used "properly" or not.

If the rig is already in the snags, and has possibly wrapped around a snag as the angler has straightened up, then even if the tail rubber is loose on a take it may well not eject the lead. If an angler has a fish on and is tight to the snag with the tail rubber and pulling against the fish the tail rubber may actually get pushed further on.

That snagging and non-ejection of the lead could see an angler pulling for a break, and as it breaks at the leader knot leaving a leaded, baited rig in the lake. :evil:

I dislike leadcore immensely, and this is just another reason for it. I have said time and time again that leadcore with a pendant or inline set-up in anyway shape or form is dangerous, even a helicopter set-up is not 100% safe.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread about other threads available, I will now copy and paste the additional posts onto one of those threads linked to earlier, and I will add any more made on this thread to that link :wink:

Another shockingly bad rig. As long as they get that trophy shot, some muppetts just couldn't care less about the fish.

I found a cracker of a death rig discarded on the bank at one of my lakes a few weeks back - a helicopter rig on 3 feet of leadcore, with a buffer bead and then swivel attaching the leadcore to the mainline so that under no cricumstances could the hooklength ever come off the leadcore. Lovely :evil:

I used to use leadcore, some of you may remember myself and Nick having a heated chat about as at the time found nothing wrong with it and always considered myself as a caring and safe angler,

However i have recently had a bad exsperance with leadcore and would never fish with it again in fact it upset me that much i no longer use any kind of leader at all and have since been using tigerline and fishing it straight through.

Going back to what happened i had a fish on which then became snagged up my leadcore was esp leadcore and was fished helicoper style on a 3ft lenght now thankfully i was able to put on my chest waders go in and recover the fish and rig, what i found was the top bead had came up about 2ft and it appears to have become kinked with the leadcore sticking out of the braid which was also wrapped around the branch there is no doubt in my mind that if this was flourocarbon leader or straight throw this would not have happened...

Its Shocking to see this setup, im not saying this is a deadly material but until it happens to you its often to late, Nick and others i offer my thanks for making me think. LEADCORE No Thanks

I used to use leadcore, some of you may remember myself and Nick having a heated chat about as at the time found nothing wrong with it and always considered myself as a caring and safe angler,

However i have recently had a bad exsperance with leadcore and would never fish with it again in fact it upset me that much i no longer use any kind of leader at all and have since been using tigerline and fishing it straight through.

Going back to what happened i had a fish on which then became snagged up my leadcore was esp leadcore and was fished helicoper style on a 3ft lenght now thankfully i was able to put on my chest waders go in and recover the fish and rig, what i found was the top bead had came up about 2ft and it appears to have become kinked with the leadcore sticking out of the braid which was also wrapped around the branch there is no doubt in my mind that if this was flourocarbon leader or straight throw this would not have happened...

Its Shocking to see this setup, im not saying this is a deadly material but until it happens to you its often to late, Nick and others i offer my thanks for making me think. LEADCORE No Thanks

Never did I ever think these words would come out of your mouth/keyboard haha :D

perhaps the problem isnt purley with education,the problem is with the tackle trade itself, we go to a shop, look at a wall and see products with the word saftey written apon them,and expect the product to be just that, 'safe' when in all reality in any most situation at all they are not safe.

from the line(we expect it to be strong,cast miles,abrasion resistant,sink like a brick) to the leader(undetectable by carp), from the tail rubber to the clip(dozen's of designs have been produced but do any of them truely work?), and in that case the whole end tackle,we are led to believe it's all safe and thought out for any situation,because we are told it has received endless testing via endless media,camouflarged so carp cannot detect it we are told,and then the latest attractant bait on a hair or bit of floss, that will out fish all other's.

if they were safe?, if the tackle trade bit the bullet?,would they be so effective?,would the trade be so big as it is now,would they make as much profit?,would they survive?.

count the components in that rig, then times it by 10 in a packet, thats a lot of money, and in all reality it costs everyone a lot of money to go fishing in one way or another, we expect a return from it in the shape of the largest fish in the venue,we also hope what we are doing is safe,but its only as safe as the venue is we are casting the safe rig into,there are so many variables for disaster but it all starts at the end tackle choices we all have in front of us.

jamestaylor Posted: 16th Sep 2011 22:48 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is becoming a problem more and more with lead clips, why don't they make the clip shorter so people with less experience wont push it all the way down? I know it won't solve all the problems but it may help a bit. They don't need to be that long!

James, my reply to you and other posts on this thread is on the http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40970 link