Bivvy Heater

An honest word, and one that doesn't go with buying a bivvy heater I'm afraid.

DON'T get a bivvy heater!

You put yourself a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning (and death) by having a bivvy heater. It burns up your oxygen (especially with the door shut :?:wink: ), that you breathe and puts out CO2 and Carbon Monoxide.

Far better in my view to have warm bedding, sleeping bag, and keep yourself warm with hot food and drinks

Guest Anonymous

Small parabolic one that sits on a Coleman type gas canister, I have it on all day right up until I go to bed, I've done it since I bought it about ten years ago and I'm still here.

Pussy maybe, but I'm dry and comfortable

Small parabolic one that sits on a Coleman type gas canister, I have it on all day right up until I go to bed, I've done it since I bought it about ten years ago and I'm still here.

Pussy maybe, but I'm dry and comfortable

Warm, too. :lol: I 've got a Gelert bivvy heater, thirty nicker off ebay inc delivery. I bought this after seeking advice from friends who really do fish all year round and have yet to die of asphyxiation.

Like most responsible adults I'm aware of the inherent dangers of having any sort of gas-fired burner in my bivvy. As I've stated on several occasions, I never, ever sleep with my bivvy closed up. Hence, fresh supply of air and good exhaust of nasty, gasseous things.

Hot water bottle? Hand warmers? Yes, of course. Remember, I'm very old.

Ian

Hot water bottle? Hand warmers? Yes, of course. Remember, I'm very old.

Ian

The heck you're old! :roll:

Don't look a day over toddler years, still bald, no teeth and still on the bottle :P:lol::lol:

I do confess to taking a hot water bottle, I just won't ever take a bivvy heater. I don't trust me or them, and I'd much rather not take chances or extra weight :wink:

Do not get one, you've only got to fall sleep and get to hot and flick your doss bag off onto the heater and it's game over pal, man up and wear layers of clothing rather than bulky clothing, myself personally dont use a sleeping bag in the winter just a throw over, mind you i am hard as nails and ex special forces so i may have higher cold tolerances :wink:

• 1 month later...

I've never been for bivvy heaters...but the miss us bought me one of the camping Gaz blue cat ones for Xmas. It has to be said it's making lying about in the bivvy a lot more comfortable tonight. I'm still in tracky bottoms and a hoody so not over wrapped up in the clothes...so much comfier and not having to get in bag at 20:00 will be pleasant.

I will be switching off once I get in the bag tho.

Not on my essential list...but very pleasant for January evenings. :D

I went sea fishing at 5am a couple of weeks ago and once we'd settled on the rocks my mate lit up an old Coleman Northstar lamp. It's been so long since I used anything but an electric lamp that I had forgotten how much heat the old gas lamps put out.

Tempted to buy one now for overnighters

Anyone heard of the COLEMAN BLACKCAT CATALYTIC HEATER? It's flameless, and looks a lot safer then the old style ones.

yep i got one off of ebay! packed up on me the 3rd time i used it, bet the bloke before got tonnes of use out of it though!!! gutted :x

anyway just need to get it fixed and il be using it again.

fish safe....

myself personally dont use a sleeping bag in the winter just a throw over, mind you i am hard as nails and ex special forces so i may have higher cold tolerances :wink:

yep agreed, although in freezing conditions i prefer to cut the throwover down to about a 10" square just to cover my face. and trick my "god like" body into thinking its warm! :lol:

fish safe...