bait bait bait not happy with thinking tackle

fishermanstory

when i watch thinking tackle, i am amazed and amazed and amazed, that danny fairbrass, ali hamidi and gang, can sit there and say, "see you on the bank sometime" they hire out lakes for around 3350grand a week "exagerated" but stick with me. partimix £10. boilies if bought £10 per kilo. and they say i frew 10 kilos in this morning, 50 spods of partimix and then another 5000 boilies and another 50 buckets of "munga" no wonder they get in the mags evrey week. i lost my job. and would do anything in this world to work with them on the banks, my buget is £20 for a weekend. they dont help so PLEAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEE HEEEEEEEEEELPPPPPPP!. SPONSERS ANYWHERE??? DAIWA

They can afford it when mugs keep buying their overpriced tackle...

i wouldn't say i was a mug but i do have some korda tackle :wink:

I've actually found a good item of Korda tackle, although not for its intended use. The Korda Back lead clips do make very good run rings for running leads :wink:

i dont own a single item as i think they are over priced, crudely made and rather cheap and nasty all told.

i caught 5mins of thinking bankruptcy, sorry, tackle and he was making his spod mix, one large tub of premixed partiblend (approx £7-10) one large tub of hemp (same price) 3tins of tuna (£2) midi salmon pellets (£3) sweetcorn (£2) mini boilies £7-10) so theres £35 quid gone for one spod mix which he said would all be going in - then more to be made!!! what the hell? do they really think we can afford to chuck £60 worth of spod mix in the lake each 24hrs?

funniest thing? Simon Scott, (proper top angler) wiped the floor with him using 14 grains of corn and stalking in the margins... proof if there ever was one that spodding the granny out of it and sitting there in one swim with all three rods sat over 60quids worth of bait is not the ONLY method in carp angling, yet show after show, thats all DF does. yet he seems to blank whilst PROPER thinking anglers, like simon scott, and one or two others featured in the show, catch fish out either side of him, then DF eventually nicks one out right at the end - also is it not a coincidence that DF has always managed a fish "just before the cameras got there" and why do you never see his rods actually ripping off? - i cant remember witnessing him have a single take, the camera just cuts to him playing a carp which took his bait "just as he was doing the other rod/spodding etc" all seems incredibly stage managed to me.

:roll:

i dont own a single item as i think they are over priced, crudely made and rather cheap and nasty all told.

i caught 5mins of thinking bankruptcy, sorry, tackle and he was making his spod mix, one large tub of premixed partiblend (approx £7-10) one large tub of hemp (same price) 3tins of tuna (£2) midi salmon pellets (£3) sweetcorn (£2) mini boilies £7-10) so theres £35 quid gone for one spod mix which he said would all be going in - then more to be made!!! what the hell? do they really think we can afford to chuck £60 worth of spod mix in the lake each 24hrs?

funniest thing? Simon Scott, (proper top angler) wiped the floor with him using 14 grains of corn and stalking in the margins... proof if there ever was one that spodding the granny out of it and sitting there in one swim with all three rods sat over 60quids worth of bait is not the ONLY method in carp angling, yet show after show, thats all DF does. yet he seems to blank whilst PROPER thinking anglers, like simon scott, and one or two others featured in the show, catch fish out either side of him, then DF eventually nicks one out right at the end - also is it not a coincidence that DF has always managed a fish "just before the cameras got there" and why do you never see his rods actually ripping off? - i cant remember witnessing him have a single take, the camera just cuts to him playing a carp which took his bait "just as he was doing the other rod/spodding etc" all seems incredibly stage managed to me.

What are you trying to say :lol::lol:

bait is only as expensive as you want it to be. i had 6 months out of work,so money was tight,but time wasnt. i had time to buy particles from an animal feed supplier and prepare them myself,a sack of partimix is about £15iirc,thats like 25kg,pellets aint much more. 1kg of frozen corn is about £1,bit of chilli powder,maybe some chick peas jobs a good'un!!

boilies can be bought alot cheaper from most bait companys than the tackle shop,but i done well boiling chickpeas up with some chilli powder in the water to fish over the spod mix.

its all down to how much effort your willing to put in as well as having the time.

Oh i agree that bait can be done on a budget and some of us old timers are well used to having to go down the particle route when times are tough and when they aint sometimes lol. The thing with thinking tackle and the like is how all the time they are looking to brainwash the poor unknowing into thinking they have to spend a damn fortune to catch a creature with a brain the size of a baggies fan.

if you had a bait sponser like bait tech,would you make your own when they deliver you whatever you want? no doubt baittech pay fairbrass/thinking tackle to advertise on there show,its not just fishing,its the same with everything.

dont get me wrong,i know what people are saying,and i dont like the way they try to hard sell everything,but the show is 1 big advertisement for there products,and to give fairbrass his dues,it must work!!

i totally, anyone remember vitalin? seed merchants are a carp anglers paradise, just need to be properly prepared first.

remember the korda DVDs? total waste of money i thought, all they did is try and tell me that my rigs that have worked for 10yrs just fine were actually total rubbish, funny i didnt take much notice at that stirling advice...

a mate of mine watched them, got totally head [censored]ed by them and totally lost all confidence in his rigs and tactics, by following the "advice" on the DVD, he had the worst season he'd ever had - he's now a fly angler...

thinking tackle is an advertisment, nothing more or less. i've never even seen him acknoledge another company if his company have the same product, i've even seen him directly say "the new korda "...add product here..." has been developed for this situation, so you need to buy it to make the best of this situation, what total rubbish, i remember a time before korda, with nash and hutchy and drennan being the carpers kit of choice, and would you believe it? we all caught carp before korda even got out DF's garden shed.

bait is only as expensive as you want it to be. i had 6 months out of work,so money was tight,but time wasnt. i had time to buy particles from an animal feed supplier and prepare them myself,a sack of partimix is about £15iirc,thats like 25kg,pellets aint much more. 1kg of frozen corn is about £1,bit of chilli powder,maybe some chick peas jobs a good'un!!

boilies can be bought alot cheaper from most bait companys than the tackle shop,but i done well boiling chickpeas up with some chilli powder in the water to fish over the spod mix.

its all down to how much effort your willing to put in as well as having the time.

So true mate! Ofcourse the big names are gonna use shop bought jars of the ready made stuff, and tins of ready to go instant carp success! THEY GET PAID TO PROMOTE THE BAIT! Let's face it its basically monkey see monkey do, and 11 years ago I was the victim of it when I started getting into carping, I watched KORDA s o t a underwater carp fishiing, and it changed my life! DF showed you how to catch big carps, so I honestly went out and bought a few kilo of mainline fusion, pva funnel web, readymade jar of parti mix, 2 tins of hemp, (1 to keep in my motor if I needed it just like danny did) korda leadclips korda leads 3 spools of x-line etc etc etc!

Did I catch carp? Ofcourse I did, but so did my mate who had never seen a carp dvd or mag in his life!

At the end of the day they are not telling you what you NEED! They are telling you HOW THEY catch carp! And which products THEY USE to improve their catch rate!

Its up to you as an angler to either take it onboard and do the exact same! Or filter out all the product placement and adapt your own ideas!

Nearly everyone is in the same boat these days (money wise) and sometimes I physically can't get to the lake cos I can't afford the fuel to get me there!

But whilst I'm not at the lake, I'll still be watching danny and the boys and use some of their tactics but adapt them to my style and budget of fishing!

Fish safe...

Bill

So true mate! Ofcourse the big names are gonna use shop bought jars of the ready made stuff, and tins of ready to go instant carp success! THEY GET PAID TO PROMOTE THE BAIT! Let's face it its basically monkey see monkey do, and 11 years ago I was the victim of it when I started getting into carping, I watched KORDA s o t a underwater carp fishiing, and it changed my life! DF showed you how to catch big carps, so I honestly went out and bought a few kilo of mainline fusion, pva funnel web, readymade jar of parti mix, 2 tins of hemp, (1 to keep in my motor if I needed it just like danny did) korda leadclips korda leads 3 spools of x-line etc etc etc!

Did I catch carp? Ofcourse I did, but so did my mate who had never seen a carp dvd or mag in his life!

At the end of the day they are not telling you what you NEED! They are telling you HOW THEY catch carp! And which products THEY USE to improve their catch rate!

Its up to you as an angler to either take it onboard and do the exact same! Or filter out all the product placement and adapt your own ideas!

Nearly everyone is in the same boat these days (money wise) and sometimes I physically can't get to the lake cos I can't afford the fuel to get me there!

But whilst I'm not at the lake, I'll still be watching danny and the boys and use some of their tactics but adapt them to my style and budget of fishing!

Fish safe...

Bill

awsome post bill,couldnt put it better myself!!

papabill,

too true, we all take and adapt what we want for our own needs, as a business mind, DF has got it down to a tee, on a fishing level, i prefer ESP/JRC/Drennan etc - not really a fan of nash products either, not sure why, just never got my attention.

when ESP first came out, they had some production and finish issues, i remember pulling out of a large fish the very 1st time i used ESP, not a happy man i can assure you, but i stck with them because i could see potential, nowadays i use little else - however their splicinh needles snap far too readily for me, a right nauze when trying to splice leadcore! if DF aknowledged other companies and gave you a choice of products, thinking tackle would be a lot better, the episode on river carping by ali hamidi was quite entertaining.

Aaaaaarrrggghhhh! i just wrote the longest post in the world with all my thoughts and opinions on this and managed to close the window before submitting the post! I will start again and try to remember everything I said, so here goes:

I see the point, where this thread first started, about the amount of bait that Danny Fairbrass uses on Thinking Tackle and the cost of angling at this level. I think it has been said previously on this thread, but I will echo it, this can be done on a budget. I can make a particle mix for spodding for less than £1 a kilo, so you don't have to break the bank to get 10 kilos of bait out.

Also, if I didn't have to pay for my bait and I found that the more I put in the better the chance of me catching more or bigger fish, I would definitely put in as much as it takes. Another example of this is Jim Shelly catching a 51lb Mirror and a 46lb Mirror from Wellington Country Park in a four day session, he put in 12kg of Nash Boilies and it worked. To you or I that would have cost £150 off the shelf. Another one would be Dave Lane's capture of the Sonning Eye at 50lb+ where he put in 30-40kg bait a week over a long period, I'm not even going to guess how much that cost but it proved sucessful for him in the end.

You don't have to fish like this either. It seems that this is Danny's prefered tactic, especially when he is on a 4-7 day session. But it is not the only tactic that he uses and he is not the only angler featured on Thinking Tackle. For example Tom Dove is quite often featured on Thinking Tackle and he tends to go the opposite way and find the fish and fish to them. Small PVA bags or sticks on the heads of showing fish and he has much sucess from it. In one episde Ali Hamidi shows you how to prepare a solid PVA bag which (correct me if I'm wrong) led to the capture of the 70lb Gigantica Mirror - Single Scale.

I think Thinking Tackle does what it says on the tin and gets you thinking about your tackle, tactics, baits and rigs and gives you an insight into all the different approaches availible to you. As we all know every water is different and every Carp in these waters have different personalities and will require different tactics to catch them. The more of these approaches you are exposed to the more you have in the bag should you find things are not working. One approach that works in Spring on a Lake might not in Summer, Autumn or Winter on the same lake.

Another interesting episode of Thinking Tackle was when England took on Germany and Benelux in a week long match at Gigantica. It had a small section where Danny was talking rigs with the German Captain Etienne Gabel has caught some monsters in Germany in 25 acres lakes that only have 20 fish in (allegidly) and a majority of the rigs he was showing were disguised as twigs and debris by putting silicone tubing on the line, leader and hook. Its another different approach that gets you thinking what your rig will look like underwater. They also said at that point that last time the Etienne and Danny were at Gigantica together, Danny put out a huge bed of particles and Etienne put out Boilies and Danny bagged up, so this time round Etienne copied that and caught nothing in a week long session, but Danny had gone the other way and put out Boilies and again bagged up. Needless to say Team England - Danny Fairbrass, Tom Dove and ANother that I cannot remember, won with 380lb of carp in a week between them.

I also think that Danny Fairbrass has hit the nail on the head with his marketing because anyone that is interested in Carp Angling will have head the name Korda. The other thing I like is they know full well that Korda do not make everything, so they often throw in plugs for other companies i.e. Delkim, Mainline, Trakker, Daiwa etc. Admittedly, they probably get paid for it, but I don't think they would use and plug products if they didn't have faith in them in the first place.

Then we get onto Korda products. I think they have had a bad wrap, especially on here. My experience of them is they are generally well thought through, well made and I haven't had any problems with them. That said, I don't have a huge amount of their stuff so cannot comment on the whole range. Their PVA products seem to be spot on as do their swivels, safezone leaders, lead clips and leads. I for one would say that all companies will have their problems and not everyone will like all of their products, it's just a matter of finding what suits your purpose and going for that. Also on pricing, I think they are slightly higher end, but there is a reason for this. Here's an example, the Korda Kaptor hooks age generally a couple of pounds more than their competitors hooks, I think the reason for this is mainly because they come in a night strong hook box that you are unlikly to get stabbed in the finger by a stray hook when getting another hook out. They also have point protectors which may or may not work which will of course cost money to manufacturer. I decided against these hooks recently and decided to buy Gardner Mugga hooks as I found them of an equal standard but cheaper. But I did get stabbed in the finger with a very sharp hook when I was trying to tie a new rig in the dark and questioned my decision to save £2!

My final thing I want to say is the Underwater series is great, but I can put you off fishing for sure! Seeing three 30lb+ fish feeding all around a hookbait and not taking it, or taking it and spitting it without being hooked sends your mind into overload! I can't help but think if I'm not getting bites is it because my rigs are simply not hooking the fish despite the area and bait being perfect! But if you take all the positives out of it and don't have any preconceived ideas of what will or will not work at a particular water or swim and don't be affraid to change if it's not working.

Thats is an entire lunch hour spent writing this, so hopefully people will find it interesting. Oh and to mention I am in no way affiliated with Korda, but if you are reading this Mr Fairbrass I would love to take up fishing full time and a job offer will be greatly appreciated and that goes for any other company looking to sponsor someone! :wink:

I switched off when Danny mashed together about 40 quids worth of munga.

Last year I fished the whole summer with about 25kg of home made bait that prob cost me 50 quid and had over 100 fish on it.

Ultimately you can choose which way you want to fish and how you spend your cash. Danny is just trying to get you to feel good about spunking your brass on his gear, some of which is great some of which is dross.