bait bait bait not happy with thinking tackle

fishermanstory

Last year I fished the whole summer with about 25kg of home made bait that prob cost me 50 quid and had over 100 fish on it.

Have you watched the dvd State Of The Art Big Fish Carp Fishing. Fanny and two other guys use around 3 times that amount for two days fishing :shock: ...

I gather they get there "luckies" to bait the area for at least a week (and stop anyone else from fishing) then they fish with the best bait on the prepared pegs and hey pristo "They catch fish"

Well to be honest even a fool can fish that way and so well. and rememebr these guys are useing the best of everything all staged managed by there "luckies".

To me thats not carp fishing they probablywould not do better even if they netted the whole lake and put the fish in a small pond.

All staged managed for the film company.

Perhaps mr fairbrass should take up shooting instead with a sub-machine gun useing the same "luckies" or should that be peasants maybe they be easier game ?

These anti-Korda/Danny F threads really do make me chuckle, touble is they follow the same old ilk everytime...

Some threads start with a genuine irk regards an item of tackle, others (more often) start with a general disdain of his style of presentation; usually it's his endless and relentless plugging of all products 'K' but surely the reason is obvious, it is an advertorial. No different to most magazine articles.

The thread opening is then followed by a comical jovial period, then they decend into plain old bitching and sniping.

The irony always amazes me:

" His ooks are blunt!" but then every hook manufacturer has sold a duff packet of hooks at some stage, or not?

"He only ever fishes easy waters." I've yet to see an angling programme that's entertaining where no fish were caught.

"He just piles the bait in." Yes but firstly he is sponsored, so bearing that in mind he gets bait given to him, so who wouldn't use an optimal amount that is likely to draw fish in, well except those that practice stalking but why should he, if he prefers to be static?

Its simple; if you don't like, don't buy.

If you can't afford or aren't prepared to spend a fortune on bait, use your computer and source cheaper alternatives. You can get boilies for a fiver a kilo and they are equally as effective as Danny's Cell, or buy a 25kg sack of pigeon conditioner for a tenner. Halibut, crab n' krill and trout pellets, all for well under £2 a kilo. Layer pellets/mash for £12 get 20-25kg.

Another amusing twist, I never see much negativity involving Kevin Nash or Peter Drennan and their tackle certainly is no better made and are only marginally cheaper, But I'm guessing that's alright, as they're old school?

I reckon Nash, Drennan and co must love Danny because they follow his price trends.

Guest Anonymous

Windrusher, I guess I'll answer that on two points, the first being that I'm possibly the only one on the thread to say his hooks are blunt and secondly because the items I slate are the ones I've tried and after well over thirty years of carp angling I'm entitled to an opinion.

My opinion's nothing to do with jealousy, not being able to afford or any other lame excuse, it's based on experience having used the said items. You should also be aware that one of Danny's highest profile consultants is a friend of mine. I don't like much fox gear either and have let chilly know my thoughts over a beer, a possible risk to life there but he understood my points.

Anyway, back to korda once again and the only reason I'm posting this is in reply to your obvious dig.

Both myself and a friend used two different patterns of korda hooks, from different shops and therefore different batches and both lost big fish, even when honed to sharpen them they were weak.

Adrenaline cost me possibly my best weekends angling courtesy of a mussel bed and my inability to stop the fish due to horrendous stretch.

A summer purchase of one of their controllers, a kruiser I believe, went in the bin after an hour, the design meant that line twist was always going to cause problems.

I've used both Gardner and esp with total confidence for longer than I care to imagine and will continue to do so, fortunately I've been doing this long enough not to get sucked into the korda bandwagon, nothing to do with jealousy or anything else, just my personal choice based on personal experience.

Like I said, his hooklength sinkers are brilliant and have found a place in my bag for one particular rig, I also own a crusher thingy. Maybe one day he'll sell something else I like the look of, until then I'm generally unimpressed.

happyhammer, that is very interesting to hear your points on the Korda products and as I said in my earlier post it is all about personal preference and if you find a product that doesn't work for you it's best to move on and find something that does work.

I also agree with windrush in that all of these threads start with a point and then turn into a slagging match with no one to defend Korda or Danny Fairbrass. I have found their Thinking Tackle and Underwater Series to be very informative along with other DVD's and online resources and they have all helped to increase my knowledge and understanding of different approaches to carp fishing.

In responce to flashgordon1952, they may well have prebaited an area, I know for a fact they did during the Underwater Series, but would it not have made for a really dull programme if all you saw was water and no fish??? You would learn nothing about the way the fish feed if you didn't see any. Plus we all have the ability to prebait swims if we want to. I for one have done it on a few occasions to try to increase my chances of catching.

And there is also one major point that a lot of people seem to forget and that is these professional carp anglers must have built up a reputation in the first place by catching lots of big fish to gain sponsorship/advisory roles with big angling companies anyway. And I'm sure a lot of them must have done it on a shoestring budget like the rest of us.

Guest Anonymous

Dan, your last paragraph was almost spot on, and that includes tenchy (mr hearn), but what these lads did have was time and desire to be on the bank at every opportunity, some have worked at it through angling, some have more to offer in a business sense, the goat herder being a valuable addition to korda even if he's an average angler.

On the underwater series, I've never watched them and never will. I've caught carp without them since the 70's and have seen people that have them tie themselves up in knots over presentation, sometimes knowing too much can be a hindrance mate.

That said, The sport's moved on rapidly and I'm a dinosaur, each to their own as long as you enjoy what you do.

I said it in my earlier post, but the Underwater Series can really mess with your brain! When you see a number of large carp feeding on the freebies, but not taking the hook bait and seeing them take the hookbait and not getting hooked or registering a bite gets you thinking that this game can be impossible at times.

I found it so interesting as I am not only an angler, but an avid fish keeper too. It is surprising to see each fish has a different personality.

One of my highlights from the Underwater Series Episode 6 was seeing the fish known as Lumpy at Wellington Country Park swim into the baited area and plonk his belly on the lead and sit there munching as if he knows that he won't get hooked by sitting on the lead and the hooklength not being long enough to reach his mouth. It would have been great if Danny had tried a longer hooklength to see if this would catch this one fish, but he didn't!

Enjoying it is the key!

Guest Anonymous

Thoroughly enjoying this Dan, sensible chat.

I think we give carp far too much credit, chilly hit the nail on the head in the summer during a conversation when he said "find them, get them feeding confidently, show them a decent presentation and you'll nail even the so called clever fish", something I totally agree with, they're just overgrown goldfish.

Bait doesn’t have to be expensive, just avoid buying the pre-prepared stuff from tackle shops. I buy a 25kg sack of 8mm halibut pellets for about £35, a 15kg sack of Hemp for £25 and a 15kg of Maize for £20. That’s a total of £80 and it keeps me going for more than a season. Chuck in a bit of method mix, and a few crushed boilies and it’s job done.

As for Korda, I’ve never found anything they make that I couldn’t find of equal quality, and cheaper, made by someone else.

with no one to defend Korda or Danny Fairbrass. .

Danny et al all have the right of reply on here. They choose not to comment- that's there perogative.

There are anglers who have a vested interest in the industry (like Moorsey) and manufacturers (like Richard Gardner) who come and comment and contribute. Other choose not to- or use aliases because they are to cool for the forums.

Rest assured a Korda Nuthugger will come along sooner or later and throw their toys out at everyone for having an opinion. So their honour does get defended. :lol:

with no one to defend Korda or Danny Fairbrass. .

Danny et al all have the right of reply on here. They choose not to comment- that's there perogative.

There are anglers who have a vested interest in the industry (like Moorsey) and manufacturers (like Richard Gardner) who come and comment and contribute. Other choose not to- or use aliases because they are to cool for the forums.

Rest assured a Korda Nuthugger will come along sooner or later and throw their toys out at everyone for having an opinion. So their honour does get defended. :lol:

I take exception to that. That is clearly a jibe at me. And to clarify I am not Danny Fairbrass acting under a pseudonym.

I just can't help but think that lots of people jump on the bandwaggon when people start slagging companies, products, tactics etc. off without knowing the full picture.

I have found the Korda products that I have used to be generally good quality. And I have found the Korda DVD's to be very informative and have learnt a lot from them. I've even agreed that some of the tactics that they use on the DVD's are unrealist for the average angler (putting in kilo upon kilo of bait), but again I justified it by stating that if money were no object or the average angler had unlimited access to bait, they'd probably use a lot more than they do.

Thoroughly enjoying this Dan, sensible chat.

I think we give carp far too much credit, chilly hit the nail on the head in the summer during a conversation when he said "find them, get them feeding confidently, show them a decent presentation and you'll nail even the so called clever fish", something I totally agree with, they're just overgrown goldfish.

Chilly is one bloke I would love to meet in person and have a pint or two with! I usually buy the Total Carp magazine and even though it's full of plugs etc, I always find Chilly's articles brilliant to read because he tells you how it is, and even says, these are methods I have done which have worked for me, but does not mean it will work everyone and may not work for you. The sort of angler that young anglers like me look up to with respect.

korda gear or anything else, me i dont think about it, if its shiney and in a tackle shop i will buy it, have got quite a few things in the box that i saw on telly and had to have then forgot why but will watch repeat and remember again.

thinking tackle, matt hayes, john wilson, fishing gurus and carry on nameing any fishing program, if i am not fishing and they are on telly i will watch them again and again.

I buy total carp because i enjoy reading it no other reason, and i like to look at the adverts for tackle especially the bits i cannot afford, why because it is the same as our fishing its nice to dream.

when you see mr fairbrass on that lake in france nice and sunny and he is fishing for a week, are any of you like me and wish i was there instead

I don't watch carp programmes, I don't read the mags, I haven't got a clue what's the latest trend/wonder bait. I use the knowledge gained over 20years of carping and catch a few, maybe not to the same level as these blokes you talk about on here (and TBH on here is the only place I've ever heard of them).

I buy my tackle from wherever I fancy and use whatever I think will do the job rather than slavishly following one company.

My particles have come from animal feed suppliers for years, my boilies either my own blend or (and here is my only plug) The Source frozen as I found they seem to work for me. Trouties and other pellets come from half a dozen local pet shops and that way I get a mix of sizes, blends, quality.

The companies must hate me!

and people thought thinking tackle was bad

just wacthed the first episode of extreme carp on sky sports with ian chillcott and christ TT only goes for maybe what 5kilos of bait he put in 20kilos for a 48 hour session, why cant they make somethink realistic that 90% of us would do and afford in a session

Sometimes a large bed of bait could be the way forward, if they can do it, why not? Look at the BCAC write up this year on Barton lakes im sire a couple from fox used over 20 kilos of bait in 48 hours and caught over 100 carp and had over 1000lb in weight. Needless to say they won that round.

Just because they pile the bait in dosnt mean you have too. They must be under so much pressure to get a carp on the bank for their tv programme. Their boss would not be happy if they drew a blank and had to do a blanking episode. So how can they pretty much guarantee a carp? Pile the bait in.

The programmes are there to try and help you, point you in the right direction, don't always do what they do word for word, do some unique that others don't. I've had great overnight sessions with nearly 20 carp in 24 hours with just 2kilo of boilies.

Ross.

For guys like me who first went carp fishing 30+ years ago when they were in there teens but then found beer and woman more interesting so gave up fishing when they got hitched but there is light at the End of the tunnel I got divorced so started fishing again last year and love it.

I use shop brought bait ….yes it cost a arm and a leg.

I would love to make my own boilies and will have ago this year but don’t have much of a clue on that sort of thing yet or how to prepare particles properly and if not done right can do more harm than good to fish so im told I have to make the bait I buy last as long as I can .so I cant just chuck kilo after kilo in as freebees or am I just a skinflint lol

Just read carp master class which gave me the idea of making my own boilies and so on if I can source the right places to get all the ingredients from that’s is .

I’m not a rich man so when I buy tackle its because I need to and not just because DF or some one else has said this is the best . I did use a kroda leader and lead clip the other day which I wasn’t in presed with as it was so long by the time I had put my hook line on by the way was kroda it was about 10ft long lol .

But as I say in not rich and don’t believe in buying tackle for the sake of it and will use what I have like hook line and so on and don’t want a lot of stuff just sitting in the bottom of my tackle box which I don’t use any more … may change the leaders tho …

I have a base mix that is compiled of different ingredients...that I am happy with- that stacks up against many bait company's.

Unfortunately I am "cash rich*, but time poor", so just don't have time to roll my own bait any more.... so rely on Rollin baits to do mine for me. If I could find someone on the dole with a rolling table- I'd happily pay them to roll my bait for me (and half my bait bill in the process).

*NB- its just a saying...I'm not rich. :wink: