• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ha ha, looks like it might just be Thee ands Me.

I reckon salt is always a must. I wouldn't use too much because it might not be good for Carp, but I don't think it'll put them off. I saw an article in the Anglers Mail a few weeks ago about a bait company developing little drilled lumps of rock salt to go on hair rigs, with a boilie.

As previously said brilliant bait that really absorbs flavour when soaked. My favourite is to soak them in garlic, chilli and turmeric.

They do take on flavour very quickly, so if your fishing a silty lake, change the hook bait fairly often as they take on the lake bed smells!!

so what is wrong with your bait taking on the smell of the silt?is that not where the carp feed anyway?
As previously said brilliant bait that really absorbs flavour when soaked. My favourite is to soak them in garlic, chilli and turmeric.

They do take on flavour very quickly, so if your fishing a silty lake, change the hook bait fairly often as they take on the lake bed smells!!

so what is wrong with your bait taking on the smell of the silt?is that not where the carp feed anyway?

Its not the foul smelling silt that Carp like

Yes it is, but you want the bait to stand out from the lake bed, if it smells the same there's nothing to attract the fish to it.

Yes it is, but you want the bait to stand out from the lake bed, if it smells the same there's nothing to attract the fish to it.

what im saying is that the carp will feed in silt irespective of whether your baits in there or not and will more than likely pick it up whether it smells the same as the silt or not.on some of the underwater films that are around you see the carp pick up sticks,stones etc etc and sometimes ignore the smelly hookbait,but if that hookbait smelt the same as its surroundings would it then pick it up more readily?on one of my old lakes at certain times of the year i would seek out the smelliest silt and fish there,it would normally take some 24hrs to get a bite so i then started using flavourless baits.the takes would then come within a couple of hours,which i felt was down to the fact the bait didnt stand out