Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
salokcinnodrog

Otter Petition

"The old petition for a cull of otters was in the opinion of many, badly worded and unlikely to win a broad appeal. The petition's proposer, Nick Blackshaw agreed to a re-worked version written by myself with Nick's co-operation.

I hope you will agree that this new wording (with no mention of the word 'cull') will reach a wider audience and hopefully draw attention to the ecological disaster that is happening right now, thanks to the illegal release of otters.

Please sign the petition if you agree with it's wording, and its sentiments.

(If you signed the previous one, please sign this one now, as the previous petition has been removed.)

Thank you

Ken Townley"

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/27441

A question about the petition: Why is the release of otters illegal?

Sorry for my delay in replying and giving the clarification:

I have been asked to clarify my use of the word 'illegal' in the petition...

It is my understanding that under the terms of the Wildlife and Countryside Act any otters released after the thirty (YES, JUST THIRTY!) authorised releases by English Nature and the Otter Trust are illegal. The Tamar Otter Sanctuary has been responsible for releasing hundreds of allegedly rehabilitated or orphaned otters, as too have many private individuals with there own `playing God` agenda, not to mention the many well-meaning but hopelessly ill-informed individuals who take cubs from their parents, rear them at home and then put them back into the system wherever they feel like it with no though of the consequences. Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act such releases are deemed illegal unless certain criteria are in place, but in most cases such criteria are ignored.

The whole question of the actual number of releases that have taken place is now out of control. There is no coordination of when and where otters are being released, which is illegal in itself! There is no common blueprint for a controlled release program. The EA and the Angling Trust have their heads in the sand and appear to be in total denial over the matter.

Many individuals who have released, and are still releasing, otters into the wild DELIBERATELY obfuscate to disguise the numbers that they have illegally released. At the same time so-called nature lovers in the south and southwest have been driving the length and breadth of the county releasing breeding pairs hither and thither. The end result is that neither English Nature nor the Otter Trust have any idea whatsoever how many otters have now been hand reared and then released into the wild since their thirty official releases stopped some ten years ago.

It is this total lack of control and regulation that has lead to the present situation, and the organisations we should be able to trust to address it are either in denial or are inept and are badly mishandling the entire situation.

We here in the SW (Cornwall predominantly) were not even told beforehand that an apex predator was going to be put back into our ecosystem. No one told the Clubs or the fishery owners that this was going to occur so we were given no time to prepare for the onslaught that was to come. There is only one way to describe the whole otter release program, both legal and illegal…A complete cock-up.

Come on...PLEASE Get signing!

iv signed.

but not because i think otters dont have the right to help themselves to any fish i choose to target.to me,angling is pitting my wits against nature,which can be less stressful than angling against the guy in the next swim.No its because man is to blame for this and all the lead up to this point.so hopefully

reasons why eels are in decline, sea birds have moved inland to find food will be taken seriously by the government and plans can be made to find a balance.

iv signed.

but not because i think otters dont have the right to help themselves to any fish i choose to target.to me,angling is pitting my wits against nature,which can be less stressful than angling against the guy in the next swim.No its because man is to blame for this and all the lead up to this point.so hopefully

reasons why eels are in decline, sea birds have moved inland to find food will be taken seriously by the government and plans can be made to find a balance.

Its the EA is the biggest problem run by guys who are typical civil servents.Most of which could not even boil an egg unless they got permission from there manager first and he had to get permission from his manager and on and on etc.

We have seen many times when man has decided what animals come into the uk. seen it with the grey squirrels. some toff decided they look pretty a hundred years ago and now the british red is very rare.

The mink" lets raid those farms and release them" . and now we have the menace of these nasty little horid creatures.

Now i gather someone had the bright idea to bring some lovely furry deer here ,which was not uk species." yes lets do it "and now there is a huge over population of dear. (ahh those shooters will like that)

Oh yes the beaver, "they look cute too" christ they not been here in a thousand years and now they could really cause problems with the salmon and trout stocks because of there dam building.

Then what happens now the EA wants clubs to get rid of any cats and sturgeon in there lakes and i gather EA would love to remove them from any river too. because they are not uk species yet they allowed those nasty furry things here ? EA you should keep to "flooding" and the "environment" and keep your noses out of fishing. By the way who pays your wages ? we do the tax payer and licence payers

When will it ever end !

why or why do people with bright ideas think before they act !

For this petition to reach the minimum target of 100,000 it needs to get 285 signatures every single day from now on. How can we make this happen? Is it even feasible?

Summary (TLDR version)

- needs one banner to rally around

- needs more and continued awareness to all anglers

- needs investment (time and money) in large amounts to setup and fight fishermens corner

- Prime opportunity for a big fishing tackle manufacturer to increase their reputation and possibly profits.

There are hundreds of thousands of anglers in the UK, who (not all) but I assume in large numbers would be willing to sign a petition to protect there sport. Of course there will be some anglers, who would actually feel that the re-introduction of the otter is a good thing because they value that more than angling.

Are there a number of petitions all being signed by different anglers? Do all anglers know about the issue at hand. Some may not read forums/magazines etc. How do you reach these people?

Then you have the issue of money - to organise and to get something going costs time and money. I guess the best thing that could happen would be for some big, or a number of big fishing tackle companies to get together and try to bring some sort of order to things. I am sure they are aware of the issue but at the moment it isn't affecting their bottom line.... if it did start to affect their bottom line then I guess they would take more of an interest.

That said the otter issue does appear to be a rather hot subject at the moment in carp fishing circles at least (I don't really read any other type of fishing literature) just imagine the reputational gain and long term benefits if someone like Korda/Solar/Nash/Fox etc actually came out and set something up to fight fishermens corner (which would include them investing time and money) the short term loss of money would in my opinion be out weighed by the money they would make long term by further enhancing their reputation.

How many times do you see stuff like

"made with the angler in mind"

"For the thinking angler"

now the tackle manufacturers have an opportunity to show that they too think and do have anglers in mind.

Just my thoughts.

If I am honest - I had never heard of them until you mentioned it. That said I have been out of fishing circles for a number of years and only recently started again.

However a quick look at their website reveals

Delivery of these aims in full will require far more support and resources than the organisation currently has. Much of this work simply cannot be delivered at the moment because we do not have the staff to do it. Political campaigning, lobbying and representation are very time consuming and require professional staff and significant funds to pay for web site development, research, experts. reports, surveys and publications.

So basically if they are the banner we need to unite behind then they need more money and man hours to make a significant impact. Hence why private funding to provie money and money to buy peoples time is needed.

Also looking at their statement on predation http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=546&sectionTitle=Control+Predators

They merely state

Lobby the Environment Agency for more funds to be released to support the cost of fencing and other deterrents at still water fisheries to keep out otters.

So they aren't thinking about rivers and they plan to lobby the EA to give fisheries support to put fences up. Again that would need money, manpower if that was all that was needed. Personally I think they haven't really thought through their position on Otters if that is the sum total of their aims.

That said maybe they have more information buried more heavily in their literature. Also if they are the organisation we need to get behind then if a major tackle manufacturer were to give them help in reaching their aims then all the better.

sorry if its been done but perhaps we should post it on facebook?

also i wernt sure if i should ask permission or not so ill ask first anyways :lol: can i post the link up on my personal facebook to try to get more people to sign.

sorry if its been done but perhaps we should post it on facebook?

also i wernt sure if i should ask permission or not so ill ask first anyways :lol: can i post the link up on my personal facebook to try to get more people to sign.

No problem, go for it.